Disembarkation

jrm116

How does disembarkation work once the breakaway returns to NYC? I hope it's not a long process

If you want off of the ship quickly, you are free to walk off with your luggage. Otherwise, you go pick up luggage tags at reception. If you want off sooner, pick the color that is called first.

I am wondering the same thing as we arrive home on a Friday morning in NYC

Rush hour traffic needs to be considered if family or friends will be driving in to pick you up

IMHO with a ship the size of BA earlier the better in getting off

Leave the slower pax behind and just get off ASAP.

Of course that will be determined by ships clearance and customs anyway

Regardless. If it isn't ASAP then just do it as late as possible

That ship must be a madhouse at disembark anyway

I have heard the wait for a taxi is incredible

Our plan is to walk to the subway to grand central as I would not want a family member or friend to drive into NYC at rush hour 7 to 10 am approx

Forget a limo as we live too convenient for that.

Also we would have to consider snow storm potential as well for our cruise dates

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

So you can pick what time you want to get off?

I believe if you are walking off you can choose your time. But the ship is completely at the mercy of the port officials and customs and no one gets off until they give the clearance. Ideally this will happen shortly after docking, but there are often delays.

There are no guarantees that you will be walking off the ship at the exact time that you tell your ride to meet you. It's one of the realities of trying to move so many passengers in a short amount of time. Everyone has the same issues that you will have - patience is the name of the game.

To speed things up, get a porter after leaving the ship. He will get you through customs much quicker - just tip a couple of $ per bag. If you are parked upstairs, he will bring your luggage to your vehicle (I'd tip more for this).

I did early disembarkation last month off the Breakaway which began between 7:15-7:30 AM. If you're doing this, plan accordingly because it was downright insane to try to catch an elevator that wasn't already loaded with fellow cruisers & their luggage. From there, it was an easy line for Customs & a brief stroll to another terminal 3 blocks down to our car. We parked here because it was a $100 cheaper than Pier 88! Happy Sails!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe if you are walking off you can choose your time. But the ship is completely at the mercy of the port officials and customs and no one gets off until they give the clearance. Ideally this will happen shortly after docking, but there are often delays.

There are no guarantees that you will be walking off the ship at the exact time that you tell your ride to meet you. It's one of the realities of trying to move so many passengers in a short amount of time. Everyone has the same issues that you will have - patience is the name of the game.

Hi Clara (cpcanuck) We were on the Dawn March 2009 with You!:D Correct me if I'm wrong. It was the firest time Bill & I met Hugo, the Hotel Director. If my memory serves me right, Corey, her daughter & husband held the Meet & Greet in the Star Bar. Didn't you get our M & G exchange gift (Betty Boop T-shirt)? We ave 13 cruises under our belt since then, most of them on NCL! Glad to see you are enjoying cruisng and hope we meet up again some day. Our next cruises are Nov 2014 on the Dawn for only the 2nd time & Crown Princess in Jan 2015.

Bill & Ruth (crusingalong)

I have a flight and I heard getting a taxi after customs is insane so I just want to be sure I will have enough time between getting off and getting to the airport. Might just do the color coded baggage claim, really don't feel like carrying all of the luggage!

I have a flight and I heard getting a taxi after customs is insane so I just want to be sure I will have enough time between getting off and getting to the airport. Might just do the color coded baggage claim, really don't feel like carrying all of the luggage!

Take ship transfer to airport.