Bringing bottles of wine on NCL

zuggie

It's been awhile since we've sailed on NCL, and we're sailing on the Epic in January.

As I recall, there used to be no problem bringing your own bottles of wine onboard. But now I'm reading about a $15 corkage fee. Does this mean that you can bring wine onboard with no fee, but they'll charge the corkage fee if you take it to the restaurant? Or, does it mean that they x-ray your baggage and if they find it, they charge you the fee just to get it on the ship?

It's been awhile since we've sailed on NCL, and we're sailing on the Epic in January.

As I recall, there used to be no problem bringing your own bottles of wine onboard. But now I'm reading about a $15 corkage fee. Does this mean that you can bring wine onboard with no fee, but they'll charge the corkage fee if you take it to the restaurant? Or, does it mean that they x-ray your baggage and if they find it, they charge you the fee just to get it on the ship?

You will carry it on and they will charge you right there as you board. 15.00 per bottle. Size does not matter. They will put a sticker on each bottle. You can take it where ever you want after that. Put it in your checked, they will find it. Your suitcase will go to the naughty room where you will have to retrieve it and then still pay the corkage fee for each bottle.

Wine is $15 per bottle for corkage fee, regardless of where you use it...whether that be your cabin or the restaurants. Once you pay the fee, you can take your wine to the restaurants or a lounge or drink it in your cabin. (they put a sticker on it.)

They x-ray all luggage and if they find anything suspiscious, then they will hold your luggage and you will be sent a note to report to the "naughty room" (as we have nicknamed it on here) where you will have to open your luggage and show no alcohol or pay corkage.

Many people prefer to carry on their wine either in their carry ons or in its own box and simply save the hassle and declare it as they board and pay the fee. (they have a special table set up at registration to do that.)

This is for wine only. All hard liquor is confiscated until the end of the cruise. Any wine that you buy on board or is delivered to your cabin as a gift is free of the corkage charge.

Is there a limit? I'd like to bring on 10-12 bottles for 3 adults. Also, do they only send the one bag (wine box in this case) to the naughty room? I'd be fine with that. I want to drop my luggage off early and enjoy lunch in New Orleans before boarding.

Is there a limit? I'd like to bring on 10-12 bottles for 3 adults. Also, do they only send the one bag (wine box in this case) to the naughty room? I'd be fine with that. I want to drop my luggage off early and enjoy lunch in New Orleans before boarding.

There is no limit - they simply charge $15 per bottle. I personally wouldn't put wine in checked luggage - there is a breakage danger. They don't treat luggage as fragile - it really gets thrown around.

No limit. We routinely bring a case or more with us but we do put it in our checked bags. Never had a problem (knock wood) with breakage on 44 cruises.

Is it really worth it? I just ordered a bottle of Ste Michelle for my room, easily a $20 bottle plus a $15 charge would have been $35. I paid NCL $32 so I figure that I saved $3 and avoided the hassle of dealing with a bottle in my luggage.

As discussed daily - it is $15 a bottle, no matter where you drink it. Same charge if you do carry on, or check it. No limit even imposed.

Cost? up to each person. If special wine, then cost is less of an issue as you want THAT bottle of wine. If regular wines, you can save a few bucks, but add lots of hassle.

They have been charging the $15 for many years. Not everyone is "caught", so it is possible some boarded and never paid.

Does this mean if we want to buy a couple of bottle wines and to bring it back home as presents they still charge us $15 even though are presents for people at home and we will not be drinking them onboard?

Does this mean if we want to buy a couple of bottle wines and to bring it back home as presents they still charge us $15 even though are presents for people at home and we will not be drinking them onboard?

You can surrender them when reboarding from the place you purchased them and pick them up on the last night of the cruise. As like all the other alcohol that is purchased on shore during the cruise.

wow, it must have been a long, long, long time ago. The $15 corkage fee has been in existance since 2004..

Nita

When you reboard the ship from port stops, there will be a security person there and you can let him know that you have alcohol and he will assist you. If the wine is a gift or something you don't plan to use until you get home, simply "check it" with the security person. They will then store it for you until the last night or morning (depending on ship) of the cruise when it will be returned to you for packing. No corkage charge if you have them store it until the end of the cruise.

You will carry it on and they will charge you right there as you board. 15.00 per bottle. Size does not matter. They will put a sticker on each bottle. You can take it where ever you want after that. Put it in your checked, they will find it. Your suitcase will go to the naughty room where you will have to retrieve it and then still pay the corkage fee for each bottle.

I would love to hear experience from someone paying just $15.00 for a 1.5 liter bottle. There used to be different prices for different sizes, when did this change?

I would love to hear experience from someone paying just $15.00 for a 1.5 liter bottle. There used to be different prices for different sizes, when did this change?

Someone posted it from the NCL website as saying, "regardless of size".

This comes directly from the FAQ page on NCL:

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onboard. These will be subject to a $15 corkage fee regardless of size.

I would like some verification of this as well. I know of individuals who have been charged more for bringing bigger bottles.

I just searched NCL's site and this was what I found but it is from four months ago.

Wine Policy

You are welcome to bring your own bottle(s) of wine on board any of our Freestyle Cruising ships and it can be served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in your stateroom for a minimal corkage fee. This includes wines sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source. The fee is determined by the bottle size and will be charged directly to your onboard account. Please note box wines are not allowed onboard.

750ml Bottle corkage = $15 USD

1,000ml Bottle corkage = $20 USD

1,500ml Magnum corkage = $30 USD

I would like some verification of this as well. I know of individuals who have been charged more for bringing bigger bottles.

I just searched NCL's site and this was what I found but it is from four months ago.

Wine Policy

You are welcome to bring your own bottle(s) of wine on board any of our Freestyle Cruising ships and it can be served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in your stateroom for a minimal corkage fee. This includes wines sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source. The fee is determined by the bottle size and will be charged directly to your onboard account. Please note box wines are not allowed onboard.

750ml Bottle corkage = $15 USD

1,000ml Bottle corkage = $20 USD

1,500ml Magnum corkage = $30 USD

Please be careful when searching for an answer to a question on the NCL site. Some of those answers are provided by people who have NO AUTHORITY to answer them.

Here is the link to the actual NCL FAQ page - with the official answers to the questions you are asking.

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n28635

The first item in the FAQ is about the wine corkage fee.

If you have any doubts about this, I would print out the page so you have it if there is any confusion when you embark about the $15 corkage fee for ANY size bottle.

Please be careful when searching for an answer to a question on the NCL site. Some of those answers are provided by people who have NO AUTHORITY to answer them.

Here is the link to the actual NCL FAQ page - with the official answers to the questions you are asking.

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n28635

The first item in the FAQ is about the wine corkage fee.

If you have any doubts about this, I would print out the page so you have it if there is any confusion when you embark about the $15 corkage fee for ANY size bottle.

Thanks!

I will print this and bring it.

In the past they charged more for bigger bottles.

I, too, was charged $30.00 for 1.5 L bottle in January. You can be sure I will print this out and take it with me on the next cruise!

I bring my own wine because I don't like the wine they offer. I like Riesling, and their choices don't appeal to me, so I bring my own brand and pay the corkage fee.

So check out their wine list, and make up your mind prior to boarding in case you want to bring your own.

In Feb on the Pearl I took 2 1.5 liter bottles and was charged $15 for each bottle.

Great deal.:)

My DH was in line behind me and he had 3 bottles in his carry on and no one said anything and he wasn't charged.

Better deal.:D

Lois

Archived