YIKES! I may be pregnant...

ASaville05

My DH and I just booked our first cruise aboard the Carnival Conquest 08/05/07, but we recently found out that we may be blessed with our first lil one. Does anyone have any info about getting our deposit back if we are unable to cruise? Has anyone cruised pregnant? Is there a time frame where it is prohibited to travel? What about infants on board?

Nothing is definate due to the fact my doc is out on vacation til the New Year.

Any info helps

Thanks!

Well, if you're really pregnant now, you would either be a new parent or delivering at your cruise date. So, you definitely won't be cruising pregnant then. Most cruise lines have a cut-off of 24-27 weeks, each one can be different.

You have options. Either move the booking up, so you go before it's too late to cruise. Or, delay the cruise and take a baby along. Personally, I'd go for the cruising while pregnant, taking the kid along then is so much easier ;) . Plenty of women have cruised pregnant, if you're in good health there is no reason not to. The weeks between 12 and 24 can be quite comfortable. You may not be able to do adventure excursions and you can't drink, but there is a lot more to do on a cruise than that!

Congratulations to you (if) you are about to be blessed, it's the most wonderful thing in the world.

You all have offered some great info. Thanks. My DSIL also has new born, and was curious if a nine month old in tow would be more hassle than its worth. (i.e. with the heat would baby and mommy both be miserable, are there activities for such a young child or daycare?) Or would it be better for her and baby both to get grandparents to care for her at home during the cruise?

Get the grandparents to go on the cruise.:)

This is something we have considered, however, the cruise is being planned as a getaway from them and they are unable to travel due to severe health issues...

On a side note MY parents are interested in going, but THEY dont wanna be bumping in to ME... can u believe that?... they dont want me checking in on them... lol... I know the Conquest is a large ship, but what is the likelihood that we would not see each other on the trip?

You may or may not bump into your folks depending on what they like to do and if you like to do the same things. Some folks from a group you see several times a day, others never again...it just depends.

As for 9 month old--they are not allowed alone into the kids programs until 3 and potty trained. Most ships allow infants with a parent. Some ships at any time the area is open and some ships just for a set few hours, but always with a parent at all times.

Having done a family cruise with 11 people-10 adults and one 9 month old-I would advise that it depends on the attitude of the parents and the routine/personality of the baby. And I already know that just about every parent who asks this question already thinks that their baby is special, extremely well-behaved, quite advanced and well-travelled for their age. If they don't think this they have probably already decided to leave the baby with a sitter. ;)

On our cruise, the baby was reasonably well behaved, adored by staff and had a great time. Her mom, however, was constantly busy with the baby and had much less fun than the rest of us, who went out on the excursions while she had to stay with the baby in the room or pack up the stroller and walk around the port/towns. (I should add that Mom is a former cruise ship employee who worked in the child care/kids program department for many years, so she knew full well what onboard life would be like before going on this cruise)

Several times Mom or Dad had to leave dinner and the shows early. Or miss a class or lecture or onboard event because it was naptime and baby was too engaged with all the sights and sounds to fall asleep anywhere but in the cabin. (And yes, a few times Mom and Dad even discussed a bit about who's turn it was to miss something.) If the baby did not get her nap/sleep in she would become cranky and fussy the rest of the day. She was, and still is, a child who needs her food and sleep on a fairly set schedule.

If you are not interested in doing much extra on or off the ship, then you (or SIL) will be fine, but just realize up front that you will be on-duty 24/7. If you are looking for family time with the baby, good. If you are looking for romantic, relaxing 'me and hubby time', leave baby with family at home.

So it sounds like both Mommy and Baby would both be happier if Baby had a Sitter for the duration of the cruise. I wouldn't want to miss out or leave dinner or shows early and I certainly wouldn't want Baby to be miserable. I will pass on the info to my DSIL.

We can always plan opposite schedules as to not run into each other:p. And hey we are family anyway. It IS a FAMILY vacation afterall. LOL.

Thanks again for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

There's always next month ;)

If your hopes are high to cruise, perhaps it is best for you to wait to become pregnant. I don't think I'd want to the first 3 months (I was terrible morning sick, only 24 hours a day :o ) so only months 4 through 6 will be the prime pregnant time to cruise. That means getting pregnant February until late March. Life never works out quite the way we plan, my luck I'd plan this and get pregnant in June and barf all week long :D .

Good luck to you, your baby will be a blessing and will be with you forever, a few extra months of waiting isn't a big deal in the scheme of life. And....help out that SIL, so she can have a bit of private, romantic time with her husband on the cruise!

Thanks Happy KS! It sure would be our luck to concieve and be miserable the whole week. We are planning to postpone trying to become pregnant. We are young and in love and DESERVE this cruise. Thanks again to everyone who responded with kind thoughts and helpful info!

The NEW doc I went to said I am having a non menstrating ovulatory cycle meaning I am A OKAY to sail! Maybe lil bit will be concieved on our vacation;). Thanks for all your thoughts and comments, it has helped tremendously!:p

I know lots of folks who conceived on a cruise (myself included). Must be the motion of the ocean, baby! DH and I were on the SS Norway (may she rest in peace) for our honeymoon. Lo and behold, 2 weeks after we got home, the stick turned blue! So, here we are 4 years later and our DD absolutely LOVES to cruise :)

Happy Sailing! :D

My DH and I just booked our first cruise aboard the Carnival Conquest 08/05/07, but we recently found out that we may be blessed with our first lil one. Does anyone have any info about getting our deposit back if we are unable to cruise? Has anyone cruised pregnant? Is there a time frame where it is prohibited to travel? What about infants on board? Nothing is definate due to the fact my doc is out on vacation til the New Year. Any info helps Thanks!

Congratulations.

You can find the answers to your questions on the Carnival site at the following link. I have pulled out the important part.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

Para 6 b: Passengers who will enter their third trimester(twenty seventh week) of pregnancy by the time of the voyage and infants less than four months old shall not be permitted to board the vessel.

Archived