Site like cruisecritic.com for hotels?

JensJ

JensJ, Cruise Critic was acquired by Tripadvisor in 2007 and is a wealth of information. (tripadvisor dot com). You can check out hotels, restaurants, etc., and in addition there is a Travel Forum: Go to 'Menu' at the top of the home page, and click on 'Travel Forum' on the drop down menu. Travel Boards (by worldwide destination) are listed there.

TripAdvisor is a mine of information & reviews, though it is open to the occasional "planted" review because there's no requirement for a reviewer to prove that they've stayed at the hotel.

www.booking.com (I'm pretty certain that naming hotel booking agencies is permitted on Cruise Critic) is useful for hotel information, photos, location maps etc., and particularly good for reviews because they can only be submitted after staying there.

For most hotels, there's dozens of reviews, allowing you to disregard the extreme good or bad ones.

They deal with a huge proportion of hotels, though not all of them.

And they're not always the cheapest, so it pays to shop around once you've chosen.

Most other hotel booking agencies also carry reviews.

JB :)

Just google hotel reviews and plenty of options will be presented to you. On the major review site which due to board rules I can't name some hotels and resorts have literally hundreds of reviews

You can list a hotel review site. You just can't discuss Travel Agents.

We use it all the time for hotels and restaurants all over the world. There are two places to look. If you click on the "Hotels" tab and enter your location, you will see reviews much like the cruise reviews here on CC. We look at an overall rating for any place we're interested in and give the extreme high and low reviews a healthy dose of skepticism, just as we do with cruise reviews.

The other option is to click on the "Travel Forums" button on the drop down menu from the "More" button. Here you can pick a location and ask specific questions in a forum format much like the boards here. There are "Destination Experts" for many locations who are really helpful. There's lots of good information and of course, just as on CC, things occasionally get contentious.

I like to check Hotels.com...it will show multiple hotels in a given area. Caveat....I always book directly through the hotel...not through any 3rd party! But, this website is great if you aren't familiar with an area....it will compare and show you distances from a given point!

When we're looking at hotels, I'll check out Trip Advisor, other booking sites to read reviews and find out which features the hotels have. But I do take the reviews with a grain of salt. We once decided to switch the hotel for our post-cruise stay and I suggested a couple that seem to fit the bill. We had a rental car so we went to one of them and checked it out, even though some people had posted it was too noisy and was in a inconvenient location. We booked it for the next week, returned to the pre-cruise hotel and cancelled the second stay.

As it turned out, our room was facing the highway mentioned in the reviews, but the glass must be really think -- we didn't hear traffic noise at all. Also, we took the longer walk to get to the intersection (the other major complaint) without any problem. We were actually able to walk easily (maybe 15 minutes) to get to decent eateries and a couple of fun attractions. The only negative was the poor design of the garage so it was hard to park our rental car (and that wasn't mentioned in the reviews).

Maybe its just me but when I went to tripadvisor it does not show bookings for 3 adults per room only 2 adults per room

Just find this frustrating

While I use TripAdvisor extensively for research, I don't book through them. I prefer to use either the hotel's own site - feel that there's less risk of a snafu if a 3rd party is not inserted into the booking process. You will almost always get the '3rd guest' information on the hotel sites. We seldom encounter higher prices on the hotel sites, especially if we ask for special rates like 'triple A' or Sr. Discount or look at the hotel promos.

Archived