Athens Hotel Suggestions Please

2Canucks

Nobody has brought up the "cost" issue so we shall pretend it is not an issue :). So, in that case, we recommend staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. She is the grand old dame of Athen's hotels with an amazing location right in the heart of town only a stone throw from Syntagma Square, the Plaka, and some great shopping.

Hank

• 1 month later...
Oh, I will go there ;) cost is definitely a factor. Don't want to spend all my money before stepping foot on the ship :D

We will need a hotel too before the cruise in Athens. This time cost is a bit more of a factor than last time since I am paying for the nephews to go.

We will need a hotel too before the cruise in Athens. This time cost is a bit more of a factor than last time since I am paying for the nephews to go.

We could just get 2 rooms and throw all the boys in one :p I have been checking on some hotels on trip advisor and there are a couple in the Plaka district, which seems to be a nice area to be in, that looked really large for under $100 US. They also had views of the Acropolis, some from the rooms, some from their rooftop decks. Lots of photos people have put up online that are just breathtaking.

I am going to try to go to AAA and see if they have any recommendations as well.

Nobody has brought up the "cost" issue so we shall pretend it is not an issue :). So, in that case, we recommend staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. She is the grand old dame of Athen's hotels with an amazing location right in the heart of town only a stone throw from Syntagma Square, the Plaka, and some great shopping.

Hank

Have stayed there twice. Incredible is the only way to describe it, and the views from the roof top restaurant of the Acropolis are not to be missed.

Grande Bretagne is a special hotel indeed. I was lucky to get an excellent rate a few years ago when Athens was a bargain.

I can also recommend the excellent Athens Gate hotel, which is very well located, nice upscale modern without being TOO expensive, great rooftop breakfast with views of Acropolis.

Hank

Grande Bretagne is a special hotel indeed. I was lucky to get an excellent rate a few years ago when Athens was a bargain.

I can also recommend the excellent Athens Gate hotel, which is very well located, nice upscale modern without being TOO expensive, great rooftop breakfast with views of Acropolis.

Thank you both. Hank, I looked up the Hotel Grande Bretagne and it looks lovely!

And cruisemom42, Athens Gate has shown up every time I have done a search on Trip Advisor.

I can't do a search for price and availability for May of 2016 yet, but those will be the first two I check.

The others that keep showing up on Trip Advisor are Herodian (and her sister hotel) and the Plaka Hotel.

We stayed in a great little budget hotel (Attalos). We could walk to the Acropolis and Plaka area as well as Syntagma Square. It is very near the subway.

Hello Maryann

this is my number 1 pick for next year, because of its location, price and trip advisor reviews..it gets such great reviews.

Plus I don't know if you need this or not, but it offers to hold your luggage free if you are going off to the islands, we have planned on at least a couple of days and we would only need to take a small bag instead of dragging our large cases.

Plus the roof top terrace looks beautiful and the photos of the Acropolis from them are fantastic.

Deb

Not staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne is one of my disappointments--however we were in Athens in 2012 when they were having a lot of internal strife, and we made the choice to stay at the Hilton instead for which I have no regrets given the circumstances.

It was away from Syntagma Square, near the US and Canadian Embassies, and had a wonderful view of the Acropolis and Parthenon. The rooms were very large and furnished in a modern style with a true US king sized bed and an amazing bathroom. The Acropolis view from our room was amazing.

There was also a great pool area, which came in handy on our second day there when all historical sites and museums closed at noon due to elections and there wasn't much else to do in Athens. (We were pretty "shopped out" by that point.)

Just tossing that out as an option--particularly if you are traveling with children.

Edited by ducklite

Not staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne is one of my disappointments--however we were in Athens in 2012 when they were having a lot of internal strife, and we made the choice to stay at the Hilton instead for which I have no regrets given the circumstances.

It was away from Syntagma Square, near the US and Canadian Embassies, and had a wonderful view of the Acropolis and Parthenon. The rooms were very large and furnished in a modern style with a true US king sized bed and an amazing bathroom. The Acropolis view from our room was amazing.

There was also a great pool area, which came in handy on our second day there when all historical sites and museums closed at noon due to elections and there wasn't much else to do in Athens. (We were pretty "shopped out" by that point.)

Just tossing that out as an option--particularly if you are traveling with children.

Thank you! My son will 18 at cruise time so fortunately I won't have to worry about entertaining him, but the Hilton may be a good option simply because I believe I have some reward points that I could use for it, and on these lengthy cruises every little bit helps!

Uh, apparently the Attalos is already booked solid for 2016?

A lot of small hotels in Europe do not show availability so far in advance.

If you are serious about enquiring, email them. Sometimes they will accept a reservation in advance that way before the online booking is opened.

We stayed at the Attalos a few years ago. It was OK, while the location was convenient to the Plaka, the immediate area felt a bit seedy to us.

I am the type that does a lot of research and try to book well recommended, well located three star hotels, four star only if I can snag a good deal. Three stars in Athens seemed a definite cut below three star hotels that I have stayed in since staying at the Attalos, in Amsterdam, Barcelona and Italy. While I thought the hotel was a good value, if our travels take us back to Athens I would probably spend the money to upgrade to a four star hotel.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I am just beginning my research for hotels in Athens and will continue to check Trip Advisor as well as here to determine which we will try to book.

While being near the sea sounds wonderful, wouldn't that be pretty far from the areas we will want to see like Plaka and, of course, the Acropolis?

We will probably arrive on Sunday and have only our arrival day, Monday and part of Tuesday to tour Athens before boarding our ship. As Floridians, we will not necessarily feel compelled to check out a beach ;) although it would certainly be relaxing after a long flight.

I will have to start exploring my map of Athens to get a better idea of locations!

• 1 month later...

I have stayed in Athos hotel twice, a very clean and central hotel in Athens. It is located in Plaka, just right in the heart of Athens. Nikos, the owner, is a great guy, always kind and helpful. The roof garden on the 6th floor has a fantastic view of Parthenon!!

Look at Athen's Gate Hotel, it has a great location on the edge of the Plaka but much more quiet than the ones in the middle of it. It is a five minute walk to the Acropolis Museum and about ten to the Acropolis entrance. The rooms are fine and comfortable, the wifi is good and there is lovely rooftop bar and restaurant where you can enjoy a nice alfresco breakfast and drinks at night with a view of the Acropolis lit up at night.

I have stayed in Athos hotel twice, a very clean and central hotel in Athens. It is located in Plaka, just right in the heart of Athens. Nikos, the owner, is a great guy, always kind and helpful. The roof garden on the 6th floor has a fantastic view of Parthenon!!

Check The athens gate very close to plaka,acropolis museum

Thank you both! I will take a look at both of them! I think I am going to need multiple choices - it looks like these hotels book up quickly!