Nieuw Amsterdam Getting Interactive TV's

InTheWASide

Here's the original link:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12764-holland-america-selects-uievolution-for-nieuw-amsterdam.html

hal-vod-system-550x308.jpg

UIEvolution, Inc. and VIDELIO-HMS today announced they have been selected by Holland America Line to deploy UIEvolution’s UIE ExperienceManager technology platform on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The ship’s in-stateroom TVs will be upgraded with a new entertainment system, as well as a wide range of video, audio and onboard services.

The company will be able to upgrade the ship’s in-room technology with their existing infrastructure. UIE ExperienceManager, a platform designed to manage video-on-demand (VOD), Live TV, music and ship services will be implemented offering Holland American Line the ability to create real-time in-cabin entertainment and digital displays throughout the ship.

"We are pleased to work with UIEvolution and Videlio-HMS to offer innovative technology and in-room entertainment services and contents to our passengers and crew," said Jason Grant, Director Fleet I.T., Holland America Line. “We look forward to working with them on future retrofits in our fleet.”

“Working with Holland America Line is a great experience,” said Travis Beaven, Chief Product Officer at UIEvolution. “They understand the true benefits of utilizing technology to increase and engage passengers at all levels. The ability to retrofit a leading-edge solution with existing infrastructure is remarkable for the industry, and we are proud to be able to offer this to our cruise partners. It’s all part of our efforts to make every part of the cruise experience be amazing and the very best in the industry.”

"We're truly excited for this new project commissioned by Holland America Line, and we’re extremely confident in our ability to deliver it, in close partnership with UIEvolution,” said Gianluca Trentadue, Chief Technology Officer at VIDELIO-HMS. "This will mark our seventh deployment together in less than two years, and the level of cooperation has steadily increased. The quality of the product we deliver together is a total reflection of this synergy.”

One of the things that I like with Celebrity is their interactive TVs. Very handy, and I'm glad to see HAL finally heading in that direction. I didn't notice anything in the recent brochure, but I hope that they are including this technology from the beginning with the Koningsdam.

hopefully they move it out to the Westerdam by next year ;)

Seriously, it will be good if they get them. Too much wasted paper just to check an on board account.

Because I'm a geek I wanted to learn more about this company so set forth on a Google project on the company dime. This is the same system being used on a few new Princess ships too.

I found this story that gives some nitty-gritty details.

The big takeaway is it's all built in the cloud and pulls the content via HTML5, which means it can be uploaded in one bulk system. What is also means is an app for anything could be built, theoretically. Every TV on the ship (well on the new one, maybe not the old ones) will be able to pull up content like menus, maps, etc. anywhere at any time.

ExperienceManager allows cruise operators to deploy HTML5-based applications to any device and update them through its cloud-based platform. Anything from video-on-demand to detailed maps of the next port can pulled up on just about any screen on board.

By using HTML5, a standard web language, Holland America can easily find developers to build applications. Previously, Holland America needed to get in touch with their technology provider to make changes to their programming or applications.

Also saw this photo that is undoubtedly a Koningsdam cabin mockup showing the TV placement above the couch.

solution-cruise-620x221.jpg

/end geekfest

With tv mounted on the wall like that, there is only one angle from which to watch it. I much prefer when we could turn it to suit if we were watching from the bed, chairs or couch.

With tv mounted on the wall like that, there is only one angle from which to watch it. I much prefer when we could turn it to suit if we were watching from the bed, chairs or couch.

I'm positive it'll be placed on a movable arm mount so it can be pulled in/out and turned.

I'm positive it'll be placed on a movable arm mount so it can be pulled in/out and turned.

I think there is no reason for concern. Prinsendam has had tv's on the walls in the cabins I have been in for a number of years. they are indeed moveable and easy to view from different angles.

I would think this would be the same if not better. After all, the Prinsendam is an old ship ;)

Because I'm a geek I wanted to learn more about this company so set forth on a Google project on the company dime. This is the same system being used on a few new Princess ships too.

Also saw this photo that is undoubtedly a Koningsdam cabin mockup showing the TV placement above the couch.

/end geekfest

Now that TV will be impressive!

The article SPPUNK found says "The service is now available on five Princess Cruises ships and Holland America’s Nieuw Amsterdam, which sails routes in the Mediterranean Sea. The software package will be added to three more Holland America ships this spring."

This makes it sound like the NA already has it. I believe it must be an old quote since it is already summer and no word on what 3 ships will get it next.

Does anyone know if it will still be free to watch movies/TV? Or a charge for some content but some still free? And if they will still have the free DVDs? What does Princess do--charge or not?

It all sounds great and heaven knows HAL needed the upgrade but if it is going to cost by the movie or show, and no DVDs, that might be annoying. I have friend who just came back from a long Celebrity cruise and she said they charge for movies (maybe there are some free ones). She didn't use that service but loaded a bunch on movies oh her Ipad to watch!

Maybe it's too soon. I hope people will post as this gets rolled out so we know what to expect.

ML

The article SPPUNK found says "The service is now available on five Princess Cruises ships and Holland America’s Nieuw Amsterdam, which sails routes in the Mediterranean Sea. The software package will be added to three more Holland America ships this spring."

This makes it sound like the NA already has it. I believe it must be an old quote since it is already summer and no word on what 3 ships will get it next.

I'm guessing the article I linked to is wrong about that - there have been no reports NA has this installed yet.

/end geekfest

The railing would be incorrect for Koningsdam. Additionally, in the verandah's the tv is shown across from the bed and there is no end table next to the couch.

Here's the verandah rendering:

Verandah%20(2).jpeg

/end nitpickfest :D

Sail, as others have said, it will probably be on a wall bracket that enables one to watch from various locations.

I hope so! I have no desire to sit on the couch with a hand held mirror so I can watch a backwards TV picture. :rolleyes:

Reading the scroll line at the bottom would be too much like work.

I hope so! I have no desire to sit on the couch with a hand held mirror so I can watch a backwards TV picture. :rolleyes:

Now that made me laugh! Perhaps it's HAL's way of keeping everyone busy so they won't complain about lack of entertainment, LOL.

If you use a second mirror to look at the first mirror, it will be forwards.

For all is know, it could be the perfect excuse for avoiding Formal Night. "Once I packed all the TV correcting mirrors, there was no room for dress clothes."