Selecting Verandah room on Koningsdam

I have only been on two cruises so far (Princess and Paul Gauguin), but I am planning my third. I am seriously considering the Koningsdam - 7-day Norse Legends for August 2016.

My DH and I love being at sea, and sitting on our balcony is an important part of the experience. We love to be on deck with other people as well, but having a Verandah stateroom is a must.

Top priorities for me in terms of the Verandah:

Privacy - I prefer not to see others above or below me, and prefer not to be seen.

Views - unobstructed for sure.

Close to water - I like lower decks, but not necessarily the lowest.

So I have been poring over the pictures, deck plans and prices of the Koningsdam. Here are my observations/questions:

1. On deck 4 mid-ship, the Verandahs have life boats right in front of them, correct?

2. On deck 4 fore and aft, are the Verandahs larger than on other decks? That's what it seems like if you look at the drawings of the deck plans.

3. I know this ship has not sailed yet, but for all the HAL experts out there, does anyone have general advice about which deck and which position (fore, aft, mid-ship) to recommend? We do not care about feeling the motion of the ship (no sea sickness). We don't really care much about how far we have to walk; convenience is secondary to privacy and beautiful views.

Just my personal opinion is you cannot go wrong with an aft Wake Facing cabin both for views and more privacy and generally a bit larger balcony. It is a bit of an unknown since this is a New Class of ship for HAL and the Signature Class ships are the closest of any HAL ships has to compare. But I am suspecting the cabins and balconies to be pretty much the same. I would probably go toward Deck 5 or 6 rather than 4 or even 8. Deck 4 often gets a bit more vibration and up on deck 8 oddly I have found on the Signature Class seems a bit noisy because the wake sound travels up and hits the overhang and the sound comes back down. Some people do not notice this while others do. It appears the aft will be a lot like the current Signature Class.

Without photos or sailing guests,my fortunately no one can answer specifically to your questions.

The lifeboats are below the verandas, even with the promenade deck. The bump-outs would guarantee unobstructed views I'd think.

We have not been on the Koningsdam, but it looks like from the deck plans that they have two verandah cabins with larger balconies on deck 4. These are cabins 4154 & 4156. We have been in this type of Verandah cabin on the Nordam and will be in one on the OOsterdam this fall. These cabins have a double width balcony due to an inside employee stairwell. These cabins were completely covered on the Nordam and are very private. When I searched for these cabins there were still available, you have to put in cabin number in order to check on availability.

We have not been on the Koningsdam, but it looks like from the deck plans that they have two verandah cabins with larger balconies on deck 4. These are cabins 4154 & 4156. We have been in this type of Verandah cabin on the Nordam and will be in one on the OOsterdam this fall. These cabins have a double width balcony due to an inside employee stairwell. These cabins were completely covered on the Nordam and are very private. When I searched for these cabins there were still available, you have to put in cabin number in order to check on availability.

No one has sailed on The Koningsdam yet :D

###

LOL You have not been on the Koningsdam because the keel was just put in the water & they are still building this ship.. It is not the same class as the Noordam or Oosterdam..

Most of us are speculating about this but, IMO LaffnVegas, Copper 10-8 or even Topsham may have a better idea from actually watching the building of this ship or talking to those who are involved in the building process which cabins would meet the OP's criteria.. Realize they opened it up for sale, however suggest the OP should check further before booking.. SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

With the help of our PC, we chose 6115. According to our PC the room has 182 sq. ft. and the balcony has 128 sq. ft.

Looking forward to the ship sailing so we can see reviews and pictures of the ship and staterooms. That's when you really find out about the best rooms.

Top priorities for me in terms of the Verandah:

Privacy - I prefer not to see others above or below me, and prefer not to be seen.

Views - unobstructed for sure.

Close to water - I like lower decks, but not necessarily the lowest.

So I have been poring over the pictures, deck plans and prices of the Koningsdam. Here are my observations/questions:

1. On deck 4 mid-ship, the Verandahs have life boats right in front of them, correct?

Yes the life boats will restrict your view downward.

2. On deck 4 fore and aft, are the Verandahs larger than on other decks? That's what it seems like if you look at the drawings of the deck plans.The drawing of the deck plans appear to show that Deck 4 mimics those on the Vista class ships and if that is correct then the Deck 4 verandahs will be wider than other decks. If that assumption is correct then I would recommend Staterooms portside 4152 thru 4182 or starboard 4173 thru 4209. The lifeboats will not block any views.

The folks above you can see the outer two feet of your veranda but the rest would be private.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by larsen

Yes, thank you. That helps! That's exactly what I was wondering. The deck 4 staterooms you listed show deeper balconies on the drawings.

And Ebay Cruiser, your stateroom is in a different area, but has the same detail on the drawing. So I guess the staterooms on each deck that border the bumped out part of the ship have deeper balconies too.

Thanks, everyone!

From the images I've seen (Google Koningsdam images) the aft decks are less raked than those of many other ships. While not quite vertical, the view afforded from above is much more limited, so unless you plan on spending all your time at the rail, you'll be fine.

We've booked for November 2016 in 7194 and can't wait to experience what looks to be a beautiful ship.

From the images I've seen (Google Koningsdam images) the aft decks are less raked than those of many other ships. While not quite vertical, the view afforded from above is much more limited, so unless you plan on spending all your time at the rail, you'll be fine.

We've booked for November 2016 in 7194 and can't wait to experience what looks to be a beautiful ship.

I checked on these rooms and they look great 232 sq. ft. but the balcony is small - only 71 sq. ft.

I checked on these rooms and they have 182 sq. ft. with 223 HUGE sq. ft. balconies.

I still decided to keep my 6115 room for location (we prefer the starboard side) and it has a good sized balcony 128 sq. ft.

I think the balconies on the aft are going to be rather smallish 71 sq. ft. except for the wrap around suites, of course.

I checked on these rooms and they look great 232 sq. ft. but the balcony is small - only 71 sq. ft.

Good point. For just the two of us, a smaller balcony but larger cabin works well, but if we were travelling with others, a larger balcony would be a definite asset.

We're booked in 7194 for the Nov. 23 sailing - are you the one immediately preceding us?!

Good point. For just the two of us, a smaller balcony but larger cabin works well, but if we were travelling with others, a larger balcony would be a definite asset.

That room looks really nice. Can't wait for reviews and real pictures of the staterooms. I'm real excited to cruise on this new ship.

Hi all

My wife and I will be sailing on the Koningsdam christening cruise for 20 nights from Rome 9th May. we have a stateroom at the front of the ship overlooking the bow. We have never been to Europe so what better way to see the places that we are calling into and it beats driving.

so when i get back i will be able to let you know what the ship is really like.

kind regards

wayne:):cool: all set for the big day.

Hi all

My wife and I will be sailing on the Koningsdam christening cruise for 20 nights from Rome 9th May. we have a stateroom at the front of the ship overlooking the bow. We have never been to Europe so what better way to see the places that we are calling into and it beats driving.

so when i get back i will be able to let you know what the ship is really like.

kind regards

wayne:):cool: all set for the big day.

Thanks! Looking forward to your review!

• 2 years later...
I checked on these rooms and they have 182 sq. ft. with 223 HUGE sq. ft. balconies.

I still decided to keep my 6115 room for location (we prefer the starboard side) and it has a good sized balcony 128 sq. ft.

I think the balconies on the aft are going to be rather smallish 71 sq. ft. except for the wrap around suites, of course.

How was # 6115? We are looking at that cabin for a cruise to Norway in June. We'd love to hear your impression!

Thank you!

How was # 6115? We are looking at that cabin for a cruise to Norway in June. We'd love to hear your impression!

Thank you!

We have stayed in cabin 5113 which is right below 6115. I am sure the cabins are identical. We loved 5113 - the balcony is huge, so even if it was raining you could sit out with the chairs pulled closer to the cabin. Unfortunately you don't get any extra furniture on the balcony even though you have the extra room.

We also loved the midship location for convenience. It was halfway to wherever you wanted to go. Very close to the stairs and elevators. It was very quiet. I would love to stay in that location again.