Trying to figure out what would be better, RUI or Breezes for our family of 7, kids

mjkacmom

14, 14, 16, 19, and 20. We've been to Atlantis twice, the Hilton, and Melia. RUI is cheaper, and we can pay less for our younger teens (who aren't drinking alcohol). We love cabbage beach, being from NJ, my kids love rough surf, and aren't thrilled with cable beach, although it appears Breezes has some non motorized water sports. My 19 and 20 year olds would love the open bar and organized beach activities. I found Breezes online for $77 pp, RUI $75 for 4 of us, $60 for the other 3.

Anyone done both? The other option is a free'ish day at Junkanoo.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only tell you about RUI. I've just returned from my cruise with 5 other girlfriends. We booked the RUI because the price was cheaper and I read a lot of good reviews. The taxi ride over was easy and cheap, only $4 pp. When we walked in we were greeted right away and taken care of. Got our day pass wristbands and were told about the buffett and the facility. We arrived at 8:30 am and had breakfast. The food was better than our cruise ship (Carnival Liberty). The pool area is right off the lobby. There is a swim up bar and the friendliest bar staff ever. Ask for Lenny or his sister Felicia. They make great drinks! The beach is right behind and they will get you an umbrella and lounge chair right away. If you want to parasail or do any water sports there are people coming up and down the beach selling that. We had a wonderful time at RUI!!! I would highly recommend!!!

I can only tell you about RUI. I've just returned from my cruise with 5 other girlfriends. We booked the RUI because the price was cheaper and I read a lot of good reviews. The taxi ride over was easy and cheap, only $4 pp. When we walked in we were greeted right away and taken care of. Got our day pass wristbands and were told about the buffett and the facility. We arrived at 8:30 am and had breakfast. The food was better than our cruise ship (Carnival Liberty). The pool area is right off the lobby. There is a swim up bar and the friendliest bar staff ever. Ask for Lenny or his sister Felicia. They make great drinks! The beach is right behind and they will get you an umbrella and lounge chair right away. If you want to parasail or do any water sports there are people coming up and down the beach selling that. We had a wonderful time at RUI!!! I would highly recommend!!!

Thanks! I just learned that grad week is going on at Breezes when we are there, thank goodness I found out now (I read about it on reviews, and it's even on their website).

Can I ask where you purchased the day pass?

Thanks for your post! We will be in Nassau on Christmas Day also on Liberty. I will have my husband and two sons, 14 and 19. Did you notice the Sports Bar? I am leaning towards RUI because the surf seems to be heavier on that beach, and I think the kids would enjoy it more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your post! We will be in Nassau on Christmas Day also on Liberty. I will have my husband and two sons, 14 and 19. Did you notice the Sports Bar? I am leaning towards RUI because the surf seems to be heavier on that beach, and I think the kids would enjoy it more.

Just check to make sure they aren't blacking out Day passes due to the holiday.

Just check to make sure they aren't blacking out Day passes due to the holiday.

I emailed Island Marketing to find out if they have availability. That is my fear. If we can't go there, then we will try Breezes, on the site for them, I could see that they had availability. Since it is Christmas, if they are doing day passes, they might be limited, so I am thinking that I might have to book this early.

If I can't get a day pass, I will go with my original plan of The Bikini Tiki Hut and hang at Junkanoo Beach.

Thanks!! I will keep you posted on what they say!

There is a sports bar. It's kind of hard to find - down a hallway towards the gift shop. We stayed at RIU for a long weekend and actually never once went in there. :) The pool bar and lobby bar are nice.

Be very careful about the surf in front of RIU. It can be dangerous at times. Make sure to watch the flags and don't go in if there are red flags.

There is a sports bar. It's kind of hard to find - down a hallway towards the gift shop. We stayed at RIU for a long weekend and actually never once went in there. :) The pool bar and lobby bar are nice.

Be very careful about the surf in front of RIU. It can be dangerous at times. Make sure to watch the flags and don't go in if there are red flags.

The first time we went to Atlantis, we were allowed on the main beach but not in the water, the next time even the beach was closed due to rough surf. My kids love rough surf, so I hope it's calm enough to swim. After years at the jersey shore, only one of my kids needed lifeguard assistance.

The first time we went to Atlantis, we were allowed on the main beach but not in the water, the next time even the beach was closed due to rough surf. My kids love rough surf, so I hope it's calm enough to swim. After years at the jersey shore, only one of my kids needed lifeguard assistance.

I hope they get to swim too! We've been to RIU four times (once for the long weekend and 3 day passes). Twice the water was really rough. Twice it was calm enough to swim. You just don't really know what it's going to be like until you get there so I try to warn people not to count on swimming. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

I think the beach is absolutely gorgeous there. Some of the prettiest, clearest water I've ever seen.

I am sure my boys will find it! Thank you!

I hope they get to swim too! We've been to RIU four times (once for the long weekend and 3 day passes). Twice the water was really rough. Twice it was calm enough to swim. You just don't really know what it's going to be like until you get there so I try to warn people not to count on swimming. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

I think the beach is absolutely gorgeous there. Some of the prettiest, clearest water I've ever seen.

Thanks! We will hope for the best, if not we have the Sports Bar!

I looked into RIU for Christmas Day. I was told that the resort will be closing for awhile and opening up as an adult only. Since I have a 14 year old, that won't work. They did tell me that I can book Breezes that day.

We ended up booking Breezes. We have had two separate groups of friends visit Riu and while both groups said they had a great time and would definitely go back, they both felt that the surf was too rough for swimming. Since my kids want to try ocean water sports we decided we are best off at Breezes, but Riu sounds great for the pool.

We ended up booking Breezes. We have had two separate groups of friends visit Riu and while both groups said they had a great time and would definitely go back, they both felt that the surf was too rough for swimming. Since my kids want to try ocean water sports we decided we are best off at Breezes, but Riu sounds great for the pool.

Who did you book through?

I looked into RIU for Christmas Day. I was told that the resort will be closing for awhile and opening up as an adult only. Since I have a 14 year old, that won't work. They did tell me that I can book Breezes that day.

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder if all the RIU hotels are going adult-only.

Originally posted by Boston Mom

Who did you book through?

I used bookatourcaribbean.com. At $77 it was a few dollars cheaper than the walk in rate of $80, and it guarantees us a spot.