Train - Seward to Alaska

redhead621

I need help. I am trying to book flights for my Alaskan cruise in May. We are on the Radiance, northbound, 5/31/13. Disembarkation is in Seward. It appears that if we want to take the train to Anchorage, the only one is at 6pm which will not get us into Anchorage until 10:15pm. The flight we were looking at 11:30pm, too close for comfort for me. Is this the only train option avaiable? GUess we will have to overnight in Anchorage.

I need help. I am trying to book flights for my Alaskan cruise in May. We are on the Radiance, northbound, 5/31/13. Disembarkation is in Seward. It appears that if we want to take the train to Anchorage, the only one is at 6pm which will not get us into Anchorage until 10:15pm. The flight we were looking at 11:30pm, too close for comfort for me. Is this the only train option avaiable? GUess we will have to overnight in Anchorage.

I would maybe consider using the RCI train transfers or bus transfers instead. What does RCI recommend for the earliest flights from Anchorage for your cruise?

RCI probably has its own train for transfers or uses HAL's or Celbrity's.

Keep in mind that The Alaskan Railroad pulls the RCCL cars and all the other cruiselines. I just glanced at their schedule and it appears that is the only train. There are plenty of nice bus trips that are scenic. Can you fly out the next day out of Anchorage? Seaward is actually very nice and if you could stay there one night or at least a full day I think you would enjoy it. First time I went to Alaska cruising out of Seaward I went straight to the ship and really missed most of Seaward. The last time I spent a couple of day there and loved it.

We have used the RCI train (Grandview Railroad) transfer option..it's a 126 mile narrated (each car has their own private guide) trip..It leaves at approx 7:00am from right next to where RCI docks and arrives right to the door of the Anchorage airport at 11:30am...Your flight must be departing no earlier than 1:30pm to participate in this transfer..You or your TA if one was used must book this train option directly with RCI..Just a note....this option usually books up very early as seating is limited...We loved this train trip and it ended up being one of the highlights..Can't wait to do it again for our RCI May 17th cruise.

We have used the RCI train (Grandview Railroad) transfer option..it's a 126 mile narrated (each car has their own private guide) trip..It leaves at approx 7:00am from right next to where RCI docks and arrives right to the door of the Anchorage airport at 11:30am...Your flight must be departing no earlier than 1:30pm to participate in this transfer..You or your TA if one was used must book this train option directly with RCI..Just a note....this option usually books up very early as seating is limited...We loved this train trip and it ended up being one of the highlights..Can't wait to do it again for our RCI May 17th cruise.

I will be on the May 17th Radiance NB as well. We will be taking the RCCL train at the end of the cruise.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your post but can someone tell me, do they also go from Anchorage to Seaward? I will fly into Anchorage for a Radiance cruise southbound. Will have to get a ride down to Seaward to catch the cruise ship.

Can I book this thru the ship prior to going?

How long a ride is this??

Thank you

Sorry, don't want to hijack your post but can someone tell me, do they also go from Anchorage to Seaward? I will fly into Anchorage for a Radiance cruise southbound. Will have to get a ride down to Seaward to catch the cruise ship.

Thank you

All cruise lines have transfers from Anchorage to Seward . The trip is about 4 -5 hrs.

Thank you

Yes, you can book the Alaska RR direct to Seward- which has an advantage of allowing you some Seward touring- which shouldn't be missed (I never recommend anyone to have a priority fo getting on a ship :) ) This leaves early morning.

RCI also has a cruise contracted train, which does cost about 25% more than the regular run, leaves Anchorage too early and arrives in Seward too late for much touring in either city (which may not be desirable for infrequent visitors)

There are also cruise contracted and independent buses and a one way car rental with Hertz.

I'm on the same cruise and I don't see this option anywhere... Where are you seeing this is available?

Lydia

It usually (or at least when we have booked it ) can't be booked online...you or your TA must contact RCI directly.

I'm on the same cruise and I don't see this option anywhere... Where are you seeing this is available?

Lydia

Ashland is correct. I booked directly with RCI. If you want to look around Seward before you leave town, this train isn't the right one for you. It leaves about 7am.

It usually (or at least when we have booked it ) can't be booked online...you or your TA must contact RCI directly.

Hi Ashland,

I've just booked by myself the 26th July Radiance cruise. We have a flight out of Anchorage at 3 PM to Vancouver, then Toronto, and finally Tel Aviv.... a very looong day and night. Is the 7AM train of ROC the only one they offer? It seems so early... How much does it cost ? Since I've booked by myself, shall I consider the internet agency my TA ?

Thanks in advance for my "novice" questions, Daniela

Hi Ashland,

I've just booked by myself the 26th July Radiance cruise. We have a flight out of Anchorage at 3 PM to Vancouver, then Toronto, and finally Tel Aviv.... a very looong day and night. Is the 7AM train of ROC the only one they offer? It seems so early...

You are correct--it is very early in the AM. I think the train pax left the ship at 6am.

We found that many excursions in Alaska leave very early. We did not find our AK cruise relaxing--as a typical cruise would be. I am sure there are people who are more laid back. But, we wanted to see as much as we could. We loved the cruise and plan to go back to AK in a couple of years.

Hi Ashland,

I've just booked by myself the 26th July Radiance cruise. We have a flight out of Anchorage at 3 PM to Vancouver, then Toronto, and finally Tel Aviv.... a very looong day and night. Is the 7AM train of ROC the only one they offer? It seems so early... How much does it cost ? Since I've booked by myself, shall I consider the internet agency my TA ?

You are correct--it is very early in the AM. I think the train pax left the ship at 6am.

We found that many excursions in Alaska leave very early. We did not find our AK cruise relaxing--as a typical cruise would be. I am sure there are people who are more laid back. But, we wanted to see as much as we could. We loved the cruise and plan to go back to AK in a couple of years.

Because of travel times, port times and excursion times/durations we prefer to do a 14 day round trip from Vancouver . This allows us to relax and enjoy the cruise , instead of jumping off to catch a flight.

Hi Ashland,

There is only one cruise contracted train that leaves about 7am from Seward. In the past it was in the $100pp range.

Because of travel times, port times and excursion times/durations we prefer to do a 14 day round trip from Vancouver . This allows us to relax and enjoy the cruise , instead of jumping off to catch a flight.

In my opinion, the ideal with this thinking is at least a week in between for mainland Alaska touring.

I was llimited to doing this in August, I specifically booked two different cruiselines so to at least get both Whittier and Seward in the mix for boat tours, with a day in between. It was tough for me to be all the way there, and then leave. :) I did return back. :)

Hi Ashland,

Hi Daniela,

Sorry but yes the cruise contracted train does leave at 7:00am from right next to the ship and arrives into Anchorage at 11:30am.. (Just a Note) about your luggage (just leave it outside your cabin as usual the night before) it is put onboard the train and then will be transfered to your flight..The cost for the train transfers are $101.00pp..If you are using a TA even one online they must call RCI to book this for you, if you booked directly online/phone with RCI then you are your TA and can call RCI directly to add this train transfer (I did just that for my May cruise easy to do)..Enjoy your decision to travel this way to the airport !!

I've done the Galapagos with Celebrity in May this year... it's not a "cruise" - the ship is just a means of transportation. Far from laid back - 2 excursions per day + snorkel in the middle...

As for leaving the ship at 6AM - it's downright cruelty...:mad: After understanding that's the only "train" option - I found locally buses operated, at a much more "civilized" hour. The only direct flight to Vancouver from Anchorage leaves at 3PM, no reason to spend so many hours waiting around at the airport.

Archived