Sitka

TheCalicoCat

This is an area loaded with - varied wildlife, very noted for the only cruise option on the inside passage to access a puffin rookery. Grey whales are also sometimes seen in the area, but a given is sea otters.

It isn't enough to just book a boat tour, in my opinion. I am very picky where I go and who I go with. Important to me, that I've been chartering boats my last trips.

I first went with the "master' Walt Cunningham in the late 90's.

I saw this on another thread...

"Sitka has the most wildlife opportunities."

What wildlife opportunities specifically are available in Sitka?

My favorite excursion in Sitka was a ship-sponsored, "Otters, Raptors, and Bears."

The "otters" portion via boat allowed us to see both humpback whales, otters, Sitka deer, eagles, harbor seals, several species of shore birds, and seal lions. The "raptors" portion was a stop at a raptor recovery center with a chance to witness a bald eagle perched on a guide's arm. A warning to not make any sudden moves or sounds was given to the audience just a few feet from huge eagle. The "bears" portion was a stop at the Fortress of the Bears where orphaned cubs are rescued in a recreated natural habitat. Both black and brown bears were present.

Lots of photograph opportunities in the above.

This is an area loaded with - varied wildlife, very noted for the only cruise option on the inside passage to access a puffin rookery.

BQ is correct, but I just wanted to add that your itinerary, HAL's 14 day, does give you access to another location for puffin viewing -- Homer, specifically Gull Island in the Kachemak Bay.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewinglocations.gullisland

Questions...... is the first week of May a good time to see puffins? and is there a way seek out otter sightings and puffins etc without a formal tour?

You’re too early for any significant puffin sightings. You may see a few that migrated early.

This pdf gives you areas where you can walk to wildlife viewing areas in Sitka.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/viewing/pdfs/sitka.pdf

BQ is correct, but I just wanted to add that your itinerary, HAL's 14 day, does give you access to another location for puffin viewing -- Homer, specifically Gull Island in the Kachemak Bay.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewinglocations.gullisland

Early in my planning I was thinking of a small boat tour to try to visit rookeries, but we have booked a tour through Alaska Coastal Studies while in Homer.

In Sitka, right now I think that we will go to the National Park & the aquarium... But we are members of the National Aquarium in Baltimore, so I am revisiting my Sitka plans...

Early in my planning I was thinking of a small boat tour to try to visit rookeries, but we have booked a tour through Alaska Coastal Studies while in Homer.

In Sitka, right now I think that we will go to the National Park & the aquarium... But we are members of the National Aquarium in Baltimore, so I am revisiting my Sitka plans...

There is no "aquarium" in Sitka. What are you referring to the Raptor Center?

Of note -- when you go may affect whether you see puffins. Our tour operator has told us that when we will be there, mid July, the puffins will likely be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are completely wrong. Who were you getting this information from? It certainly was not direct from the vendor, someone in Florida? :) :) :)

As I said- you HAVE to go privately- IF you absolutely want St Lazaria in your boat tour. Many times Allen Marine doesn't include it. I've been chartering for my preference.

You are completely wrong. Who were you getting this information from? It certainly was not direct from the vendor, someone in Florida? :) :) :)

As I said- you HAVE to go privately- IF you absolutely want St Lazaria in your boat tour. Many times Allen Marine doesn't include it. I've been chartering for my preference.

I think your tone is a bit rude :eek:. I don't think adding smileys help.

I am going on the same tour and it is with a local guide and it was he who told us our chances of seeing puffins were slim. In fact it is Paul from Gallant Adventures who told us. I would think he could be classified as pretty knowledgable.:rolleyes:

Edited by frantic36

Questions...... is the first week of May a good time to see puffins? and is there a way seek out otter sightings and puffins etc without a formal tour?

Nope- you are, overall, too early for puffins. What do you mean "seek out"? From a cruise ship? Greatly depends WHERE you are going to be, are you going to Glacier Bay? Have a good pair of at least 10 power wide angle binoculars, willing to spend HOURS out on your lowest deck? Going to be happy with less than a minute of viewing? Yep- I have great success, but, I am always on tours in every port. Sea otters are skiddish by themselves. You'll be lucky to catch an extended glimpse, especially from a cruise ship. They are far more viewable in racks. A top tour for this is out of Whittier to Surprise glacier. Also usually see sea otters out of Homer and Seward on boat tours as well as Sitka.

There is no "aquarium" in Sitka. What are you referring to the Raptor Center?

It is the Sitka Sound Science Center, within it is the Molly O. Ahlgren aquarium. (It includes Touch Tanks and wall mounted aquariums.) So we are actually contemplating visiting the Aquarium in Sitka. (My son, 8.5, would love the touch tanks.)

The Raptor Canter would be more appropriate for birds, or at least birds under the type of Raptor. (Aquarium by its nomenclature pretty much eliminates Raptors.)

I am going on the same tour and it is with a local guide and it was he who told us our chances of seeing puffins were slim. In fact it is Paul from Gallant Adventures who told us. I would think he could be classified as pretty knowledgable.:rolleyes:

You might want to check again. Puffins are sea birds, the only reason they come to St Lazaria is to breed and nest. The chicks aren't going anywhere in July. The same every year, they start leaving early Sept.

If you haven't booked a tour to St. Lazaria- yes your chances are slim. But, it's 100% sightings there in July.

What tour did you book?

It is the Sitka Sound Science Center, within it is the Molly O. Ahlgren aquarium. (It includes Touch Tanks and wall mounted aquariums.) So we are actually contemplating visiting the Aquarium in Sitka. (My son, 8.5, would love the touch tanks.)

The Raptor Canter would be more appropriate for birds, or at least birds under the type of Raptor. (Aquarium by its nomenclature pretty much eliminates Raptors.)

OK, I stopped in a couple years ago, walking by, when I was going to the National Park. It's a couple tanks, not what I recognized with your "aquarium" mention. :) It's worth a stop especially with an 8 year old. Very involved staff .

You are right, Calico Cat, there is indeed a small aquarium in Sitka. I've visited it each of the five times I've cruised there. At one time, it was very tiny, one medium sized room with touch tanks and then an outdoor 'pool' with salmon fry. It has grown quite a bit in the past couple of years, and is really quite lovely. The staff is awesome and enjoy interaction with guests, so definitely seek them out to give your son a bit of a tour. The grounds are beautiful with a new walkway out to the water next to the aquarium where I spent quite a bit of time visiting with some locals fishing near the rocks. Have a great time - Sitka is truly a gem of southeast Alaska, and the sail in (prior to the new dock anyway) was nothing short of spectacular.

You are right, Calico Cat, there is indeed a small aquarium in Sitka. I've visited it each of the five times I've cruised there. At one time, it was very tiny, one medium sized room with touch tanks and then an outdoor 'pool' with salmon fry. It has grown quite a bit in the past couple of years, and is really quite lovely. The staff is awesome and enjoy interaction with guests, so definitely seek them out to give your son a bit of a tour. The grounds are beautiful with a new walkway out to the water next to the aquarium where I spent quite a bit of time visiting with some locals fishing near the rocks. Have a great time - Sitka is truly a gem of southeast Alaska, and the sail in (prior to the new dock anyway) was nothing short of spectacular.

Thanks for the info. We plan on making a stop there on our visit to Sitka in May.