Predicament

AnnetteSC

We'll be sailing on the Quest on June 12, 2017. I joined the Roll Call and have been checking it daily (I've also been checking this forum) since we're new to Azamara.

We booked late (5 weeks prior to departure date) but I've been extremely ill for the past 2 weeks, leaving me with only 3 weeks to plan everything!

I have done some research and read reviews for tour companies in Italy and Greece. I have Greece covered but I'm having a hard time with Italy. In fact, my roll call is very, very small (22 ppl I believe) and they are all set already with their tours.

I know CC has rules about keeping requests to join tours to roll call but how can you spread the word when roll call is almost non-existent?

There are only 3 of us in our party and, doing the tours privately, would be extremely expensive for us. Our DD15 is really looking forward to seeing the famous sites in Italy but, at this point, I'm unsure we'll be able to do them.

How would you handle this situation if you were me?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by AnnetteSC

Hi,

What cities are you specifically asking about?

Florence/ Livorno/ Pisa. What do you want to see? Are you set on seeing the Uffici, or David. I remember that last summer there were several taxi's that were looking for customers, which were as reasonable as taking the train to Lucca or Pisa. But the train is needed to get to Florence and reservations for those top attractions are available on line.

Rome- I think I would do a ship tour. Is there one with the sites you want to see?

Sorrento and Amalfi- just get out and walk around the city. very easy.

if you give your ports we can suggest how to get to get to major sites on y.our own. like Pisa and Portofino. we can not give company names. I can tell you to look on Port of Calls boards as you can mention company names.. here you can never use an agents name but can mention hotels and i think limo companies.

The ship's tours are double what the private tour would cost so we ruled that out (like, Florence/Pisa is $399 pp!!).

We would like to do Florence and Pisa. Florence, the highlights (Ponte Vecchio, Duomo, Uffizzi/David, Basilica di Santa Croce). In Pisa, the tower and the Duomo.

Rome, we'd like to do the highlights of the city plus the Vatican.

In Amalfi, we'd like to do Pompei, Sorrento and Positano.

The ship's tours are double what the private tour would cost so we ruled that out (like, Florence/Pisa is $399 pp!!).

We would like to do Florence and Pisa. Florence, the highlights (Ponte Vecchio, Duomo, Uffizzi/David, Basilica di Santa Croce). In Pisa, the tower and the Duomo.

Rome, we'd like to do the highlights of the city plus the Vatican.

In Amalfi, we'd like to do Pompei, Sorrento and Positano.

Pisa- take the train or taxi. i walked around. had lunch and shopped. i saw most highlights. i taxi one way and took train back. lucca is great too. i am guessing you and in Sorrento too. From Amalfi I would do Positano by fast boat-ferry- you can buy tickets as soon as you tender in. bet ferry times are online somewhere. in Sorrento take the ferry to Capri.. there a little stand to buy tickets. i got one and waited like 15 minutes for the ferry.

Florence I love but I did not want to train there and back alone. .many did. some couple stayed overnight in Florence too.

ask questions and we can help without using names.

What tour company would you recommend for small parties? Everywhere I look, you only get a deal if you have at least 6-8 people.

DH prefers a guided tour. He is not interested in doing trains, buses, ferries. He doesn't feel confident enough for us to go on our own since this is new territory.

I've not done public transportation in the ports you'll be visiting, but want to assure you that you won't be doing buses or trains alone. There will likely be many from the ship doing the same and if you let fellow passengers know your situation - perhaps at the Meet and Greet - you'll get some good advice and maybe some companionship. In any case, popular destinations are so attuned to tourists that they make public transportation easy. Should it come to that, Rome has a Hop On Hop Off bus that might be an option. Try Viator too. They have groups you can join in many places.

I travel alone, so I know how hard making arrangements for a single or a small number is. I've been lucky to find groups to join, but have also done lots on my own including Cairo and Istanbul (used the metros in both) as well as 'tamer' places like Athens and Venice. Save being lost for awhile in Venice, I've never had a moment's problem.

So sorry you've been ill and away from CC and are struggling with this. Hope you find solutions that work for your family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I note that you have a late stay in Sorrento. Perhaps you could negotiate with a taxi driver to take you to Pompeii, wait for you and return although it is fairly easy to visit the site on the train. Sorrento is a delightful Italian Mediterranean town so do leave yourself enough time for a wander around.

Understand your husband's nervousness about using public transport but it is so easy to take the ferry to Positano (another heavenly spot) from Amalfi. The booth to purchase tickets is right by the tender drop off point, the ferries run exactly to the timetable and you will see many fellow guests in the queue which will hopefully give you reassurance.

I hope you get to see all the sights on your list.

Wonderful news that you are in improved health for your cruise.

Let me suggest an alternate strategy for your ports in Rome.

I suggest looking at the free, downloadable audio guides and maps created by Rick Steves for Florence, Rome and Pompeii. They are available from an app that you can load on to your smartphone. Not as good as the best of guides but serviceable, especially if this is your first visit to these sights. And sometimes you don't get the best of guides.

This allows you to choose a "tour" from Azamara such as the usually offered "Florence on Your Own", a tour much cheaper than one with a guide. Florence is a very easy city for DIY since most sights are within a very small area. You probably can't combine it with Pisa, but in my view that's no great loss. And you can buy tickets for the Uffizzi online to increase your efficiency. This is heresy, but there is a copy of "David' in the piazza near the Uffizzi, so I wouldn't worry a lot about the Academia.

Rome is a much larger problem, both figuratively and literally. I would strongly recommend prioritizing around a theme: Ancient Rome, the Roman Catholic Church, the Baroque Period or a combination thereof. Otherwise, in my view, it would be like a drive-by-shooting for each sight. However, that may be a good plan for some.

In terms of time, a visit to St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum will eat up at least half a day, and given the 1 to 1.5 hours it might take to get to Rome from the port, you will not have a surplus of time.

So why not prioritize your choices, choose the most efficient plan, and set aside time to sit in a piazza with a gelato and observe the local scene? You can use transit to facilitate your efficiency, but taxis would probably work even better. On transit, just be certain to watch for those with agile fingers and a desire for your belongings.

Spursgirl has suggested considering the train to Pompeii from Sorrento. A good option. I guess, for the sake of efficiency, this is where I'd bite the bullet and take the ship's tour. Then I'd save money by wandering Amalfi and leaving Positano for another trip.

I realize my recommendations don't address your desire to find shared tours. But I'm suggesting that if those plans don't bear fruit, you have some options. I also realize I'm not as ambitious as you in my touring goals.

Enjoy your cruise!

I used "share a shore excursion dot com" to arrange a tour to Florence. just leave out the spaces when entering the website. You can check your dates and see if anyone has posted a trip that you can join. I booked a trip and several people joined for a group of six. You probably do not have time to start a new group but hopefully there is one you can join.

In the past, Azamara would have a local tourist office representative come on board each morning in port. they would have a desk by the pursers counter, and would have local maps and information about transportation.

Good luck with your planning.

What tour company would you recommend for small parties? Everywhere I look, you only get a deal if you have at least 6-8 people.

DH prefers a guided tour. He is not interested in doing trains, buses, ferries. He doesn't feel confident enough for us to go on our own since this is new territory.

Annette take a look at Prestige we have used them before for a private tour but I know they also offer tour sharing....I highly recommend them take a look at their site.... Jo Ann

https://www.prestigerent.com/

Viator, a subsidiary of tripadvisor, offers tours in most locations at less cost than ship's excursions.

"Roll calls" represent a very small segment of those who cruise. Usually less than 10 percent of those embarked. Guests on smaller ships, such as Azamara, are generally very experienced travelers and self-sufficient. However, the largest percentage of CC members to embarked guests I've experienced was on Journey Mumbai-Piraeus where many were heading to India for the first time and discussions of visa issues along with pre-cruise internal touring became a very informative thread.

There are some great suggestions here. I've learned a lot too. Whatever you end up doing, remember that one can never see everything anyway and you'll come home with wonderful memories of what you did do. What you missed will just whet your appetite for next time.

This is heresy, but there is a copy of "David' in the piazza near the Uffizzi, so I wouldn't worry a lot about the Academia.

I once thought what could the difference be between the original and the replicas. When I finally saw the real David I was amazed. It is worth planning ahead to see it.

On the Ports of Call thread you will see posts about the excursion sharing companies. I have not done this, but they get very good reviews, so that is well worth checking out.

I once thought what could the difference be between the original and the replicas. When I finally saw the real David I was amazed. It is worth planning ahead to see it.

Ahh, you have caught me out in my hyperbole! [emoji1]

Thanks for offering an alternate assessment. I wouldn't disagree that the Academia places the statue within its important artistic and creative framework.

But personally I would prioritize the Uffizi and, for that matter, watching stylish Italians enjoying their lunch in the Piazza della Signoria.

I suspect the OP and most others will agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A miracle just happened!! Another party of two is interested in joining our tours and, even though it's only two more people, the price drop is substantial! I was able to book three tours with Italytoursharing (Joe Banana limo) despite the last minute crunch!!!

I'm SOOOOOOOO happy!!!!! :)

Thanks again for all the great tips!!