Hand luggage

moodybluetwo

We are sailing on 16th September from Southampton and staying the night before in a B&B. They have arranged a taxi to take us to the port for our 3pm boarding. My question is what happens to our luggage after that? I've never taken a suit with me on holiday before and its now in a proper suit bag. Do I have to carry it on board with me…or is it best to pack it in a suitcase. May seem a silly question but its really getting to me!

If it's just a suit bag, then I'd recommend keeping it with you and carrying it onboard. if it's one with a harder outside shell, then it would be safe to go on the conveyor belt. If you're carrying it, you'll have it beside you for quite a while

How it works in general is that your taxi will be signalled to a dropping off point and the porters will take your luggage from the boot so make sure you keep things inside the car that you don't want them to take. The luggage then goes through the 'hole in the wall' and onto a conveyor belt to be transported onto the ship in large metal cages like you see delivering to shops. If it's in a soft bag it could get badly crushed at that point. It will be delivered to your cabin sometime during the afternoon (usually).

We just pack our formal clothes carefully in our cases and have never had a problem. We shake them out and hang them up in the bathroom when we're having a shower so the steam takes out any creases

Do not forget that cruises ex-Southampton; round trip ,have a luggage restriction of around 23kgs per bag however you can take as many suitcases as you can fit into a cabin. I take two just for me, anyone travelling with me takes two also.

Regards John

Thought our suitcase weight allowance from Southampton sailing on 4th Sept now reduced to 20kg?

Yes, that's around 23kgs, in practice unless you exceed the weight by quite a margin I do not think you will be pulled up. I think flying is a bit more accurately looked into.

Regards John