Compare Seabourn, Crystal, and Azamara

ShannonO

A family group and I cruised for the first time on Seabourn Sojourn. The trip was last-minute and we didn't do much research. Needless to say it was a wonderful trip, and now the bar is set quite high!

We are planning another cruise, this time to Asia in winter 2015/2016. We are particularly intrigued by a couple Azamara itineraries and one Crystal itinerary.

What I would like to know is how different these two lines are in food, service, and other details and amenities? Our reference is Seabourn. We love fine dining and service, and we all enjoy wines but are not fine wine drinkers. We actually could forego the formal attire. (My father wears his sneakers even with a suit!)

I appreciate any insights you might be able to provide!

A family group and I cruised for the first time on Seabourn Sojourn. The trip was last-minute and we didn't do much research. Needless to say it was a wonderful trip, and now the bar is set quite high!

We are planning another cruise, this time to Asia in winter 2015/2016. We are particularly intrigued by a couple Azamara itineraries and one Crystal itinerary.

What I would like to know is how different these two lines are in food, service, and other details and amenities? Our reference is Seabourn. We love fine dining and service, and we all enjoy wines but are not fine wine drinkers. We actually could forego the formal attire. (My father wears his sneakers even with a suit!)

I appreciate any insights you might be able to provide!

You will find many comparisons on the individual boards for these cruises.

By the way Azamara is not rated "Luxury",

Thanks for your response. I have been reading reviews of both, but I'm still not really sure how they will *feel* different aside from the formal attire. How different is the food quality. Is it like the difference between Applebees and Ruth's Chris? A take-away sushi stand versus Nobu?

Is the service completely different?

How will the passengers differ?

I'm just having a really hard time realizing what the differences are. If I pay $7k for a 260 sq ft Verandah room on Crystal or $7 for a 260 sq ft suite with butler service on Azamara, what differences will I have missed?

One difference is that the 260 sq ft cabin on Crystal includes the veranda so the interior space is smaller. The suite on Azamara is 266 sq ft of interior space plus 60 extra feet on the balcony.

That, I didn't know. That's a big deal to us. We expect to be dining in cabin a few times. Hmm. Thanks.

Unless you're in a PH on Crystal if you dine in the cabin you'll be sitting on the bed. In the suite on Azamara there's a table and chairs.

Why would you be sitting on the bed? There's the love seat and a chair at the desk. The coffee table is adjustable in height.

Unless you're in a PH on Crystal if you dine in the cabin you'll be sitting on the bed. In the suite on Azamara there's a table and chairs.

Huh? Even in a window cabin on Crystal, I had a table, loveseat, and upholstered chair. And when I had a balcony, I also had a small table and chair on the balcony.

Thanks for your response. I have been reading reviews of both, but I'm still not really sure how they will *feel* different aside from the formal attire. How different is the food quality. Is it like the difference between Applebees and Ruth's Chris? A take-away sushi stand versus Nobu?

Is the service completely different?

How will the passengers differ?

I'm just having a really hard time realizing what the differences are. If I pay $7k for a 260 sq ft Verandah room on Crystal or $7 for a 260 sq ft suite with butler service on Azamara, what differences will I have missed?

I haven't sailed all of those lines, but I can already say that the differences will be variable and personal........For instance, some may see a huge difference in service, others may not notice any difference at all - it will depend on various cruisers' activities, styles, and needs on board. Same with food - some people have more specific preferences and more discerning palates and will notice a difference (for better or worse), whereas others might not notice a difference - for instance, I can't really tell a difference between a $15 or $50 bottle of wine. Some people might like the decor and amenities better on one than the other.

One difference is obvious, though - the number of passengers and the size of the ships. That might be a factor in your choice too.

I'm a huge Crystal fan, but that doesn't mean I think it's better than the others.

I have never sailed on AZ however from what I have read Crystal maintains their ships to a higher standard. Being larger ships their is more space, the ship never felt crowded and there is lots to do both day and night. For me the downside of crystal is all their dinner venues require fixed dinning or a reservation. There is no casual walk in dinning spot for dinner.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I may have overstated the facts and for that I'm sorry. I just feel the cabin way too cramped to dine there. jmo.

I agree that it's not a comfortable space to dine and anything more than munchies and drinks in the room would not be comfortable. I just didn't get your sarcastic presentation (which is difficult in print).

I very much appreciate the information, sarcasm or no. :) We will be reserving three rooms, and now we are considering doing one suite and two oceanview specifically so we can have a dining space in the cabin.

We have narrowed a search down to three itineraries, one with Crystal (my favorite), one with Azamara, and one with Celebrity. With five adults who each have different preferences and only Seabourn as a reference point...this is not an easy decision! Every extra dollar toward the cruise means less for the shore excursions, as we have an overall fixed budget.

Decisions, decisions...

ShannonO, if you are looking for a true luxury experience of the three lines you have listed I would most definitely go with Crystal. I say this not only because it is by far the most luxurious of the three but let the decision also be the itinerary which in your case is Crystal too. I am a believer that in the end the only opinion that matters is your very own. So, to me, use this as an opportunity to experience Crystal and if you do please let us know what you think.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

only top category staterooms have bathtubs. That is a deal breaker for me, plus 2x fares for solos, whereas Crystal fares start at 30% over a double passengers fare(2016 and beyond),That may not an issue with your group, but Crystal imho values solo/single travelers business far and above the other lines you mentioned, and frankly most lines out there! And although I have a bf, he does not live with me and often we do not sail together.I really prefer fixed dining as it is easier for me to meet people there ,and have only had a couple of occasions where I have asked to change tables. Having said that , I am still in touch with several I met at our table in 2010, and friendships imho are easier to make on smaller ships, with a vast majority of guests being repeat passengers(ie Crystal) :)

Edited by haikou