How lucky are we? (Solo cruise lovers)

cruiseelady

How lucky are we to be able to go on an adventure on our own? I feel that enjoying your own company is a wonderful thing and not to mention there is freedom to that.

I know so many people that need to be in company of another constantly. Many have told that they would never be able to go on their own. I love the peace and the freedom that it gives when I cruise alone.

The very first time I did a cruise on my own was in 2008. Just a few months prior to that, a relationship ended with someone I was with for 6 years. I just thought I should clear my head and have some time to myself, never did I expect that it would give me a feeling of such independence. I loved it, it might have been a combination of freedom, independence and the location I was visiting and seeing along the way. It felt so tranquil passing the glaciers while cruising, the fog. It was very special. After my first solo I was hooked.

What was your first solo like and what made you do it?

Edited by cruiseelady

My first solo was a 15 day roundtrip from San Francisco to Hawaii. Loved it. Having the cabin all to myself was such a treat. I have been a widow for 16 years and find that I really need at least some "me" time every day. Met many nice people aboard. Had so much fun, that I did a 12 day solo cruise to the Caribbean just 3 months later. again, I enjoyed it very much.

My first solo cruise was way back in 2003. I was trying to decide what

to do for vacation and my sis and bil had taken lots of cruises before.

She mentioned cruising to me and I don't remember how I actually

found Cruise Critic...maybe I used GOOGLE (I use that alot:D)...anyway,

My first cruise (that I count) was in May 2003 so 11 years ago.

***I had cruised long before that....but one was with my family

for a short one in 1992 and the other was way back in the 80's when

I got divorced**** I don't really count them anymore LOL;)

I started cruising solo on a REGULAR basis in May '03 (mentioned above)

and have never looked back:)......I usually cruise 2 to 3 times a year

and yes, the freedom is awesome.....doing whatever I want, when I want,

or don't want....

I have lived on my own for many, many years and have always been

quite independent. I have learned cruising solo is a piece of cake.

I LOVE IT.....whether I even get off the ship in port just depends

on the itinerary and how I feel.

Where I eat, when I eat....no answering to anyone about it, although

I do enjoy the main dining room.

I am actually thinking of stepping totally outside the box for my

upcoming cruise in November. The Cruiseline offers an "Ulitmate

Dining Package" and I am thinking about purchasing it......for one

price you get all the Specialty Restaurants for the week. Normally

I like eating with other people in the dining room but I may do this

package and spoil myself in the Specialty Restuarants.....and there

is a savings of buying it over one at a time........we shall see...I have

a large obc coming so I will wait till after I board the ship and decide

at that time:).....

Yes, wonderful sailing solo for sure:D...having my own space

is a priority....I don't even share a clicker with anyone here at home,

so sharing a cruiseship cabin? No thanks:p

My upcoming cruise will be #40 something........think I found

my vacation of choice LOL........

Edited by Lois R

I met someone who is going on the same ship I am a few months after but with 2 seperate family's and their kids. She would ask me a few times /if I liked going solo.

I asked why she wouldn't go solo, as opposed to for lack of a better term/critque was going with 2 familys.

As opposed to staying in the studio and meeting people, the week will be spent around the parents/kids schedules. not my idea of a fun time but perhaps moreso for others.

I prefer to be more adventourous. I found the studio concept to be a good mix of having some down time, and some time with other friendly solos

I cruised for years with my kids. When they both went off to college I didn't stop cruising, just went solo. I remember posting to this board as a newbie solo concerned about a little of everything!

Once I stepped foot onboard I put all that behind me and had a blast! I love doing what I want when I want, not having to be the social secretary, mom, nurse, planner etc. for anyone but myself. I found myself laughing once when I noticed I didn't have any size 13 son's shoes on the cabin floor in the way for me to trip over!

I've done excursions they wouldn't have been interested in doing. Once I met a couple who were on the roll call--who lived a block away from me and knew my kids!

I'm never bored and only wish I could cruise more often!

I realize that you are asking about solo cruising, but I took my first solo trip land based when I was 27. Flew out of country to London by myself, met some people outside London and went to Paris by myself.

I wanted to go somewhere and others didn't, so I just did it.

I did a solo cruise a long time ago and can't say I am hooked. But I didn't know CC then and it was my first cruise and I had fun.

Been on a few cruises since, and will be doing a solo cruise next year to Scandanavia and Russia. A little apprehensive, but its all an adventure.

My first solo cruise was actually y first cruise in 2005. I was going to do a land trip to get away to the Med for a week in May and escape the UK cold weather. Some ladies at work persuaded me to try a cruise. It was a late booking, just 3 weeks before I travelled. It was the cruising that was new not travelling alone.

Did my first solo trip back in 1985 to Australia for 6 weeks and continued to travel on my own often after that. It was easy to get at the time I married friends to accompany me on more typical summer holidays but none share my love of far flung travel. Now most of my friends are married, and I actually prefer travelling alone. A long weekend for a city break is fine with family or friends or a short spa break with my sister or friend but I'd much rather have the freedom of being on my own the rest of the time and getting to choose whT I want to do and when I want to do it.

I'm going on my first solo cruise in September on the Splendor

I've been on many cruises with significant others and my son.

I'm single now. Son is grown and living in NYC after finishing college.

It's ME time.

Went to Israel (alone but with a church group), went to Florida (alone but to visit a friend) and now a cruise.

I CAN"T WAIT. ME ME ME

No more what someone else wants, when they want it and leaving what I WANT in the dust

I am going on my first solo cruise in July and I am looking forward to the peace and quiet - and the "me" time. I have taken solo trips to Vegas before and enjoyed being able to do what I wanted when I wanted. I like my space and I am comfortable being by myself. I also am comfortable with striking up a conversation and talking with strangers.

Jim

Have booked NCL Breakaway in October - my first solo holiday (all my pals are in relationships, so just thought to myself why sit at home? So after a bit of research I discovered ncl solo cabins. Perfect. Can't wait!!

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

I also realize you are talking about solo cruising, but many of my solo trips have been on land. There is something very empowering about going alone - last year I went to Brazil alone (I did have a group tour for 1/2 the trip.). But I had an amazing time, figuring things out in a land that really doesn't speak much English. My two cruises below are solo trips and I'm really looking forward to them!! So nice when you don't have to coordinate with somebody else.

I have down one solo to the Norwegian Fjords and just loved it...so much so I booked for next year when I got back!!

Amomondo ...I see you like MSC! How are they for solos?

They used to be amazing for solos. Around 4-5 years of no single supplements on repositioning cruises even on a suite. Not quite as good now, it is up to 50%.

They don't really do stuff specifically for solos as there are so many languages spoken onboard. It's a really international passenger mix.

Often there are a reasonable number of other solo passengers onboard especially on repositioning trips. That may well decline in future if there are any other,ones not charging any supplement.

I cruise with them becuae I like the international mix and Mediterranean customs and food. Itineraries in Europe can be unusual too. Price is a driver but not main reason. I cruised with them when they charged 100%. Just cruised more often duringnthe recession when they waived it completely.

thanks for your reply!

I am going with a friend on MSC this October.we get it in Valencia....i have only been on P&O as a solo....just starting my solo adventures as fed up of waiting for folks to want to cruise or helping a friend financially so that I can go with someone....so by myself is better!!!I have booked to the Canaries for August 2015 again with P&O.

I did my first solo cruise last year (2013) at the tender age of 26! :eek:

I am single and none of my friends can afford a cruise - too expensive for their tastes!

I was a little nervous not knowing what to expect but I have the most amazing time. Holiday of a lifetime! Though there were only 4 solo's onboard I made friends with on of the bartender who kept me supplied with Mai Tais in the evening and I also made a couple of friends in the entertainment and show teams too.

It was so wonderful that in 31 days time I am going on my second solo cruise on NCL Epic!

And I'm even looking into one for next year too :D

My first was in 2008 -- a double crossing back and forth to the UK. I loved it! I am a cruise fanatic and often cruise with family (including DH of 45 years). But I also like to cruise solo. This summer I will complete my 19th and 20th Atlantic crossings and all but two have been solo. I hope to never stop:)

Hello... I am not new to cruising; but new to the thought of solo. My husband suddenly passed just three months ago. We had plans for three cruises this year. Made the first in January, then I lost him. I want to continue cruising, so, I'm thinking of booking a cruise in September. As much as I want to go, I'm unsure of how I will spend my days alone after 38 years of married bliss. Does one just "take the plunge" and see what happens?

Hello... I am not new to cruising; but new to the thought of solo. My husband suddenly passed just three months ago. We had plans for three cruises this year. Made the first in January, then I lost him. I want to continue cruising, so, I'm thinking of booking a cruise in September. As much as I want to go, I'm unsure of how I will spend my days alone after 38 years of married bliss. Does one just "take the plunge" and see what happens?

Hi, good morning:).....sending you my condolences.......

I know there are a few ladies on here that have posted about their

experiences after losing their husbands. You may want to scroll the

board and see if you can find them.

I am not in your position but I always cruise solo.....maybe check

the roll call forum and see if there are others going on whatever

cruise you want to take....it is a nice way to meet other people.

Good luck to you and hope you are able to continue cruising.:)

Thank you for your response, Lois R. I have tried to find a thread with solo widow cruisers. No success. I'm sure it is because I just don't know what to look for. I will keep looking.

Hi,:) here is one....I knew I had read about a recent widow........she

was asking for advice too.....click on this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2044362&highlight=recent+widows+

My first solo cruise was the World Voyage I completed in May. I loved every minute of it. Joining the roll call allowed me to know some of my fellow cruisers in advance.

My second solo cruise is booked for next year and am saving for my next World Voyage (solo again).

I will be cruising solo for the first time on Jewel of the Seas in October. Just got out of a bad situation...very demanding, controlling, jealous significant other...after ten years (!) of that...am taking this cruise alone because I CAN...AND THERE's NO ONE TO TELL ME I CAN'T!! LOL! However...since it is my first time...I am pretty nervous about it...haven't even told my family because they'll probably flip out! So any tips you guys can offer will be GREATLY appreciated!! Sooooooo looking forward to doing what I WANT...when I want to!! Plan to spend many hours on my balcony (yay me!) just staring at the gorgeous Caribbean Sea...recharging my heart and my soul. Thanks, y'all! Barb

My first solo cruise was also my first transatlantic...I was a little nervous about both of those new things! But I absolutely loved it and here I am two more transatlantics and 4 more solo cruises later in a short time period!

I would though recommend taking a shorter first solo cruise than I did, just in case you don't enjoy it. (I have read on here that there are actually some people who DON'T like solo cruising, hard as it is to believe!) :)