Captain Bill's World Cruise Continued....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:35 PM.
Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by rdsqrl
Sandi, sorry to hear you were in hospital. Glad you're out now and hope you feel back to 100% soon.

Your Christmas stockings are beautiful, by the way! However, what I can't figure out is why on the one stocking, Santa is on the front doorstep and not hoisting himself down the chimney. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but ringing the doorbell seems less magical and a good way to wake up the kiddies, too -- unless maybe that's his front door and he's on his way out for the night. Of course, it's possible I'm overthinking this . . .
How did your cruise go?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Georgia
3,334 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by rdsqrl
Sandi, sorry to hear you were in hospital. Glad you're out now and hope you feel back to 100% soon.

Your Christmas stockings are beautiful, by the way! However, what I can't figure out is why on the one stocking, Santa is on the front doorstep and not hoisting himself down the chimney. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but ringing the doorbell seems less magical and a good way to wake up the kiddies, too -- unless maybe that's his front door and he's on his way out for the night. Of course, it's possible I'm overthinking this . . .
Thanks for your concern Annie. I feel a little better every day.

As for Santa, he definitely shouldn't ring the doorbell while on his rounds. I always thought Santa could come right in the door, locked or not!

Originally posted by MMDown Under
Sorry to hear you have been ill and in hospital, Sandi.

You are such a live wire, it is hard to imagine you sick. Hope you are soon feeling better and back to your normal self.
Your thoughts are appreciated Marion. I just got a bad bacterial infection and need IV antibiotics for a while instead of pill form. I hadn't been in a hospital bed since 1974 when my son was born. It's certainly no place for sick people! Haha!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)

Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
Thanks for your concern Annie. I feel a little better every day.

Your thoughts are appreciated Marion. I just got a bad bacterial infection and need IV antibiotics for a while instead of pill form. I hadn't been in a hospital bed since 1974 when my son was born. It's certainly no place for sick people! Haha!
Hope you are better now Sandi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
Hope you are well now Sandi
Just returnd from an interesting trip to Kangaroo Island
We booked everything and paid before we left home
The ferry was late so arrivd on then island in the dark and drove to the first house
No lights Gate stuck and difficult to open no door open. Colin managed to climb through a window and we got in. No food nor linen for which we had been charged extra
We managede to find sufficient dooners from the beds to keep warm and lit the fire.
The next day we drove 25km to the nearest phone box - no coverage at the house - and left a message on their answerphone Then we enjoyed a day on the sites of the island.
Returning to the house the gate was wide open and there was a key on the kitcfhen table with a torn scrap of paper saying sorry we forgot stay longer if you like? A pair of sheets a 2 towels were there. No food still. We stayed the 3 nights and then left for the next stop.
That was fabulouse a B&B over the top with excellent food and evening meal if required.
Back on the mainland to an airb&b we had booked.
Arrived and the house was dark no one home. My phone was not getting a reply so we knocked on a neighbour;s door who kindly phoned the owner for us He said key under mat I will be 30 minutes.
Went in unwelcoming styled house Bedroom had bed and small table no chairs or tv or anything., We sat in the lounge for 2 hours until he came home.
He was astonished we were upset and said if you do not like it get out so we did as it was so cold and unwelcoming with the bathroom well away from the room we had been alloocated; and travelled a further 50km to find a motel. Now I have the problems or refunds from the airb&b I will not use them again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 6; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 7; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1
Central Florida
1,061 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by windsor26
Hope you are well now Sandi
Just returnd from an interesting trip to Kangaroo Island
We booked everything and paid before we left home
The ferry was late so arrivd on then island in the dark and drove to the first house
No lights Gate stuck and difficult to open no door open. Colin managed to climb through a window and we got in. No food nor linen for which we had been charged extra
We managede to find sufficient dooners from the beds to keep warm and lit the fire.
The next day we drove 25km to the nearest phone box - no coverage at the house - and left a message on their answerphone Then we enjoyed a day on the sites of the island.
Returning to the house the gate was wide open and there was a key on the kitcfhen table with a torn scrap of paper saying sorry we forgot stay longer if you like? A pair of sheets a 2 towels were there. No food still. We stayed the 3 nights and then left for the next stop.
That was fabulouse a B&B over the top with excellent food and evening meal if required.
Back on the mainland to an airb&b we had booked.
Arrived and the house was dark no one home. My phone was not getting a reply so we knocked on a neighbour;s door who kindly phoned the owner for us He said key under mat I will be 30 minutes.
Went in unwelcoming styled house Bedroom had bed and small table no chairs or tv or anything., We sat in the lounge for 2 hours until he came home.
He was astonished we were upset and said if you do not like it get out so we did as it was so cold and unwelcoming with the bathroom well away from the room we had been alloocated; and travelled a further 50km to find a motel. Now I have the problems or refunds from the airb&b I will not use them again.
That's terrible to have 2 out of 3 places that were a disappointment. It always makes me mad that the pictures usually don't look anything like the actual rooms. It happened to us a few months ago but unfortunately I paid in advance so we could have breakfast included. Lesson learned.
Good luck with your refunds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margie
[email protected]

MSC Orchestra 1/09- First Cruise
MSC Orchestra 4/09- Bermuda
Carnival Dream 4/10- Western Caribbean
HAL Oosterdam 5/13- Alaska
HAL Westerdam 11/15 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 6/16- Western Caribbean
HAL Eurodam 11/16 Tropical Caribbean
HAL Eurodam 11/17 Western Caribbean
6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by snookymom
That's terrible to have 2 out of 3 places that were a disappointment. It always makes me mad that the pictures usually don't look anything like the actual rooms. It happened to us a few months ago but unfortunately I paid in advance so we could have breakfast included. Lesson learned.
Good luck with your refunds.

Yes OK refund from the bad 3 day booking but airb&b are being problematic They say as I do not have a message from the host they do not know if they can refund obviously I was travelling and my phone does not have or get internet so no message advising refund He shouted it at us as we left Ongoing chats with airb&b now grrrrrr
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 6; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 7; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1
Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sorry you had such bad accommodation experiences on KI as well as the mainland. I feel for you, as KI is really dark at night, to be trying to get in to unlit locked accommodation. When I was researching accommodation on KI, I came across similar examples to yours, where owners lived on mainland and paid people on KI to look after their rental properties and they let people down. I always double check reviews, so I have had no problems with rentals, nor Air B&B, but only book places which have lots of excellent reviews. As AirB&B retains funds until after you arrive on the first night, you should have no difficulty getting your money back. Make sure you put a negative review against the AIRB&B renter, so others are forewarned.

I hope you enjoyed KI. Sorry I didn't get back to you re beach names, but I couldn't find my paperwork.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Sorry you had such bad accommodation experiences on KI as well as the mainland. I feel for you, as KI is really dark at night, to be trying to get in to unlit locked accommodation. When I was researching accommodation on KI, I came across similar examples to yours, where owners lived on mainland and paid people on KI to look after their rental properties and they let people down. I always double check reviews, so I have had no problems with rentals, nor Air B&B, but only book places which have lots of excellent reviews. As AirB&B retains funds until after you arrive on the first night, you should have no difficulty getting your money back. Make sure you put a negative review against the AIRB&B renter, so others are forewarned.

I hope you enjoyed KI. Sorry I didn't get back to you re beach names, but I couldn't find my paperwork.
We did enjoy the trip after all and I believe the airb&b are refunding but will take a week that is OK Yes I have given a review for the airb&b but the other one had excellent reviews as it was really a multi family summer let and would in those circumstances have been good but not sjuitable for winter particularly when they forgot.

I always look for reviews but the airb&b was 'new' I will know IF I ever use them again
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
airb&b have said as a one off they will refund but originally the hosts programme is no refunds Ha! If they had not I would get the credit card people on their insurance to have a go

Now I feel happier.
Just getting ready now I have done the laundry - to pack for the next short cruise to Moreton Island. 17th August for our wedding anniversary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We did enjoy the trip after all and I believe the airb&b are refunding but will take a week that is OK Yes I have given a review for the airb&b but the other one had excellent reviews as it was really a multi family summer let and would in those circumstances have been good but not sjuitable for winter particularly when they forgot.

I always look for reviews but the airb&b was 'new' I will know IF I ever use them again
Glad you are getting refund. Oh yes, I never take new hosts no matter how good the property sounds. I find you can even pick up whether hosts love providing accommodation, versus those who just want the money, without any extra effort.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
airb&b have said as a one off they will refund but originally the hosts programme is no refunds Ha! If they had not I would get the credit card people on their insurance to have a go

Now I feel happier.
Just getting ready now I have done the laundry - to pack for the next short cruise to Moreton Island. 17th August for our wedding anniversary
I'll have to check whether they have changed the rules since I last used them.

Bon Voyage for your Moreton Island cruise in August. Happy Anniversary.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Georgia
3,334 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Thanks, Marion. I am feeling fine now.

Yvonne, what a wrenching story about your Kangaroo Island adventure. Thank goodness it is all working out for you. Have a great cruise next month and happy anniversary to you and Colin. We are celebrating 48 years on Sept. 6 (and we will be home for our day, not on a cruise).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)

6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
Thank you for your good wishes everyone Just coincidence normally that we cruise on that date We celebrataed our Emerald anniversary on the Emerald Princess This time however as it was a cheep 4 day we grabbed it for that purpose
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Thank you for your good wishes everyone Just coincidence normally that we cruise on that date We celebrataed our Emerald anniversary on the Emerald Princess This time however as it was a cheep 4 day we grabbed it for that purpose
Good timing. I remembered that you celebrated a big anniversary on a ship. Hope the weather is good for your cruise to beautiful Moreton Island.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
Wake up Wake up everyone (those who are not cruising!)
This thread has been asleep for a while
Ready for our cruise next week but also had thought about a land/beach/resort type holiday for quite a while without doing anything about it. Bali/Fiji and Phuket were our thoughts.
A bargain offer floated through my in box. I could not believe it so investigated. Tripadvisor gave it 5 stars for everything. The offer was $499 for 7 days for BOTH of you. It included continental breakfast, airport transfers, one celebratory dinner, one massage each and one scuba/snorkel lesson each if wanted.
No air fares of course but as their nights rate is $260 we were getting 5 nights free. I grabbed it so off there in October.
Before that of course is our PNG cruise and luckily nothing needs organising for that as our news is a Baby girl granddaughter born 9/7/17 so we have to go back to the UK to meet her. As DH enjoyed India so much earlier this year he wanted to 'do' southern India so we are looking at a group trip for 15 days from Cochin and then go on to Heathrow. Also we decided to do what we had spoken about many man y times and do a highlands and islands of Scotland coach trip for 7 days and enjoy the leisurely trip up and there back visiting National Trust properties as we go using our NZ Heritage card and getting inn free. Now off to go through the motels and is there parking situation as well as leaving the car overnight for the 7 nights while on the tour. Hey Ho As it is too windy to garden this is the alternative.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Cairns, QLD Australia
10,642 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been on here in a while but we have been so busy that I don't even get time to spend on CC.

I hope everyone is well, I haven't had a chance to look at the previous posts.

We just booked a 3 nighter cruise which will be a nice weekend away as that is all we have time for these days. It leaves from Cairns so no flights. We don't usually do P&O Australia but we got such a good price $169 each for the 3 nighter, that we thought, so long as we are fed and we can relax that is all we need.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eileen

[email protected]
Emerald Princess - Andes & South America - March 2018
Emerald Princess - Cape Horn & Strait of Magellan - February 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Sydney to Kobe Japan - February 2017

Aurora P & O UK - Germany/Norway/Holland - Xmas Markets cruise - December 2016
Aurora P & O UK - Canary Is, Spain/Portugal/Morocco - November 2016

Golden Princess - New Zealand - February 2016
Diamond Princess - Tokyo to Sydney - September 2015
Diamond Princess - Singapore to Tokyo - April 2015
Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore - March 2015
Ruby Princess - TA to NY - Norway/Iceland - Sept 2014
Ruby Princess - British Isles - August 2014
Sea Princess - Aust Coastal - May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania - December 2013
Diamond Princess - Aust to China - March 2013
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - Feb 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - May 2012
Ruby Princess - FLL to Barcelona - April 2012
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - April 2012
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - March 2012
Dawn Princess - Sydney/Melb - Dec 2011
Pacific Dawn - New Zealand - October 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - July 2011
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2011
Diamond Princess - China to Alaska Repo. - May 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - April 2011
Dawn Princess - Melb/Sydney - March 2011
Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - Nov 2010
Oriana P & O UK - Sydney/Brisbane - Nov 2010
Pacific Sun - Newcastle/Brisbane - Sept 2010
Sun Princess - Sydney/Brisbane - April 2010
Coral Princess -FLL to LA via Panama Canal -Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Sydney/Brisbane - Dec 2009
Sun Princess - Vanuatu/New Caledonia - Feb 2009
Cairns, QLD Australia
10,642 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Congratulations on your new baby granddaughter Yvonne. We also got another new granddaughter last month, Maggie Jean Smith.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eileen

[email protected]
Emerald Princess - Andes & South America - March 2018
Emerald Princess - Cape Horn & Strait of Magellan - February 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Sydney to Kobe Japan - February 2017

Aurora P & O UK - Germany/Norway/Holland - Xmas Markets cruise - December 2016
Aurora P & O UK - Canary Is, Spain/Portugal/Morocco - November 2016

Golden Princess - New Zealand - February 2016
Diamond Princess - Tokyo to Sydney - September 2015
Diamond Princess - Singapore to Tokyo - April 2015
Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore - March 2015
Ruby Princess - TA to NY - Norway/Iceland - Sept 2014
Ruby Princess - British Isles - August 2014
Sea Princess - Aust Coastal - May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania - December 2013
Diamond Princess - Aust to China - March 2013
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - Feb 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - May 2012
Ruby Princess - FLL to Barcelona - April 2012
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - April 2012
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - March 2012
Dawn Princess - Sydney/Melb - Dec 2011
Pacific Dawn - New Zealand - October 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - July 2011
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2011
Diamond Princess - China to Alaska Repo. - May 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - April 2011
Dawn Princess - Melb/Sydney - March 2011
Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - Nov 2010
Oriana P & O UK - Sydney/Brisbane - Nov 2010
Pacific Sun - Newcastle/Brisbane - Sept 2010
Sun Princess - Sydney/Brisbane - April 2010
Coral Princess -FLL to LA via Panama Canal -Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Sydney/Brisbane - Dec 2009
Sun Princess - Vanuatu/New Caledonia - Feb 2009
6,427 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Billy and Charlie's Mum
Congratulations on your new baby granddaughter Yvonne. We also got another new granddaughter last month, Maggie Jean Smith.

Congratulations to you also Eileen Have a great weekend We saw that cruise but of course we are down south and could not take it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Wake up Wake up everyone (those who are not cruising!)
This thread has been asleep for a while
Ready for our cruise next week but also had thought about a land/beach/resort type holiday for quite a while without doing anything about it. Bali/Fiji and Phuket were our thoughts.
A bargain offer floated through my in box. I could not believe it so investigated. Tripadvisor gave it 5 stars for everything. The offer was $499 for 7 days for BOTH of you. It included continental breakfast, airport transfers, one celebratory dinner, one massage each and one scuba/snorkel lesson each if wanted.
No air fares of course but as their nights rate is $260 we were getting 5 nights free. I grabbed it so off there in October.
Before that of course is our PNG cruise and luckily nothing needs organising for that as our news is a Baby girl granddaughter born 9/7/17 so we have to go back to the UK to meet her. As DH enjoyed India so much earlier this year he wanted to 'do' southern India so we are looking at a group trip for 15 days from Cochin and then go on to Heathrow. Also we decided to do what we had spoken about many man y times and do a highlands and islands of Scotland coach trip for 7 days and enjoy the leisurely trip up and there back visiting National Trust properties as we go using our NZ Heritage card and getting inn free. Now off to go through the motels and is there parking situation as well as leaving the car overnight for the 7 nights while on the tour. Hey Ho As it is too windy to garden this is the alternative.
WOW It is all happening! A new baby in the family, who of course you'll have to organise a trip to visit. How exciting! It all sounds wonderful, with a trip to Scotland, as well as southern India. Where are you going for the bargain $499 for two in October?
Bon Voyage for your next cruise, Yvonne.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
9,860 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Billy and Charlie's Mum
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been on here in a while but we have been so busy that I don't even get time to spend on CC.
I hope everyone is well, I haven't had a chance to look at the previous posts.
We just booked a 3 nighter cruise which will be a nice weekend away as that is all we have time for these days. It leaves from Cairns so no flights. We don't usually do P&O Australia but we got such a good price $169 each for the 3 nighter, that we thought, so long as we are fed and we can relax that is all we need.
Bon Voyage for your short cruise, Eileen. I have been seeing lots of great specials out of Cairns. Let us know how you found P&O. My friend has just returned from Princess - Sun Princess - from Freemantle to Brisbane and she loved it. She said they didn't stop at Port Douglas because of something about tenders ? but stopped two nights in Cairns. Whilst there they lost power and had no TV for 24 hours. Does this happen often that they can't stop at Port Douglas? It must be frustrating for you, as well as the passengers.

Glad your business is going well.

Congratulations on your latest baby granddaughter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion