RC vs. Carnival

Natnval

I'm in a dilemma...I have only ever cruised Carnival and have only ever been to Mexico when I cruise. I am looking to book but can't choose between RC navigator of the seas or Carnival dream. Carnival has Belize-Honduras-Cozumel itinerary. RC has Falmouth Jamaica-cayman islands-Cozumel itinerary. They both leave on same day which fits my schedule perfectly but one leaves from Galveston which is closer to home the other leave out of New Orleans, which is only a few more hours out of the way. Which itinerary is better? Please help!!

I like to hear everyone's opinions, and there isn't much that I don't like to do or am not interested in. We like to relax but also have fun and can be quite adventurous. I like to have a lot of different options. I've heard negative things about both itineraries but the only place I've been on either one of those itineraries is Cozumel. And mostly I would like to hear other people's opinions about the cruise ships themselves. Since I've only been on the older carnival ships before. We most likely will not have the kids with us this trip and I hear that RC is geared more for adults.

"Better" is a totally personal, subjective judgment. Ask 10 people, and you will get 10 different opinions. What interests you?

I am no fan of Carnival, but, in this case, in my totally subjective opinion, I would take their route.

I agree with Bruce.

Cruised on the Breeze in December and it is a wonderful ship. Great crew and loved. Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana Burrito Bar. I having nothing bad to say about that ship. Never been to those particular ports so I have no opinion about that.

I'm in a dilemma...I have only ever cruised Carnival and have only ever been to Mexico when I cruise. I am looking to book but can't choose between RC navigator of the seas or Carnival dream. Carnival has Belize-Honduras-Cozumel itinerary. RC has Falmouth Jamaica-cayman islands-Cozumel itinerary. They both leave on same day which fits my schedule perfectly but one leaves from Galveston which is closer to home the other leave out of New Orleans, which is only a few more hours out of the way. Which itinerary is better? Please help!!

I'd say try Royal. I love their ships. Tons of things to do for adults and children.

Change is good. :)

IMO, I prefer Royal, much nicer and more elegant.

Navigator of the seas? Mariner of the Seas, her sister ship was far from elegant. Attractive yes, elegant no. I will say I found all of the 4 RCI cruises I have taken more attractive than the 4 Carnival ships but none were really elegant. Jewel of the Seas was the closest to elegant of the RCI ships I have cruised but even she was not elegant. She was beautiful though. Carnival ships tend to have more of a flashy/gaudy/ Vegas decor.

I also disagree with the person who said RCI's food is better. Carnival had great food, it is other reasons I dislike Carnival. (mainly because I like things more relaxed and calmer soothing decor)

To the OP, as the one person said, although Carnival is my least desired of mainstream lines, I would say read reviews of those ships with those itineraries. Since you have cruised Carnival and like them okay, you may want to choose by itinerary.

Personally I would stay away from Jamaica, but that is a personal preference, I really disliked my one trip to Jamaica. Those people are too pushy to get you to buy useless crap, worst than Cozumel and Nassau put together and if you have been to those ports you know they are horrible.

The only other reason you may would prefer the NOS besides ports and Carnival's bad decor, is that ship does have more things to do athletically, like rock climbing, ice skating, and putt-putt.

I do have one question has anyone ever stayed in the promenade rooms?

I haven't personally, but I have had family members in them and they enjoyed it. They are nice rooms and as far as I know, unique to RCI. The window bench seat adds a good bit more seating and space. Only drawback was privacy. Directly across, other PR rooms can see right into yours when your curtains are open.

Navigator has those new virtual balcony interior rooms. Have you considered those?

I like RCI as a cruise line but you seem to be basing your decision on ports of call. Cruise Critic is a perfect place to do your research. The search feature on the boards seem to be working at this time so I would suggest you look at the Ports of Call board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Here is a Cruise Critic News Alert for Honduras.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5666

Shak

I know you may be locked in to going at a specific time but NOS also runs the Belize, Honduras, Cozumel route. NOS is a beautiful ship that has the Promenade deck with shops and bars. The last Carnival cruise I was on, the food was ok but nothing memorable and tables stayed dirty for literally hours. Don't know what was going on with the crew of that ship, but they didn't seem very happy. But I have had the same issues, do you book for itinerary or for the ship?

Edited by tsjt

I have done some research for both carnival, RC and their excursions. Carnival song seem to offer much if anything for honduras. Ad after reading the warning for honduras I'm a little scared now. I am leaning towards RC just to try something new. There is a possibility that we would be able to go the week after and then they both would offer going to Belize and Honduras. Just the week before seems to be a little cheaper.

I've been on 2 cruises w Carnival. I started w them bc the price was more affordable, so that's what I based my decision on (they've since gone up). I heard that once u start with a line, it's best to stick with them. We've met retiree cruisers that have been on all the lines & they say that pretty much RC & Carn are the same. Foods pretty much the same & so r the ships. Our last cruise we went on the Roatan Honduras route. It was awesome! We booked our own excursion with Victor Bodden bc it's an island & knew that we would get back. We did the zip lining with the monkey business & had a private driver that took us all around the island. Wish we could go back soon! Hope u have an awesome time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Btw, I've done both Jamaica/Cayman & Honduras/Belize. Think I perfect the later, but it's a cruise, can't go wrong either way. Belize & Jamaica are the same in that you should plan an excursion & get away from the port area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go with Carnival. In fact I am going on the Dream July of 2015 on the same cruise you're looking at. I personally have never done RCI, but I have heard they are much more snobby than NCL or CCL. With that being said I think you'll get more bang for your buck on CCL, but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong. Usually am wrong, just ask my wife.

I would go with Carnival. In fact I am going on the Dream July of 2015 on the same cruise you're looking at. I personally have never done RCI, but I have heard they are much more snobby than NCL or CCL. With that being said I think you'll get more bang for your buck on CCL, but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong. Usually am wrong, just ask my wife.

Not me! (:

Shak

Snobs cruise all the lines. ;)