Golden Princess stuck in Port Chalmers tonight? - 22th Jan 2017

Its 8:31pm NZDT and the Golden Princess is still in Port Chalmers tonight??

Has anyone heard anything??

Has the weather/wind stopped her from leaving the port?

poecam_22-01-2017_08-25pm.jpg

The Maasdam who was also in today left OK, mind you she is smaller then the Golden Princess.

This is off the Met Service

Issued by MetService at: 4:42pm Sunday 22 Jan 2017

Valid to: Midnight Monday 23 Jan 2017

Forecast

*** STORM WARNING IN FORCE ***

Southeast 30 knots but 15 knots north of the Peninsula. Turning southwest 35 knots everywhere this afternoon, then rising to 50 knots this evening. Southwest easing to 40 knots Monday morning, to 30 knots Monday afternoon, and to 20 knots in the north Monday evening. Sea becoming high for a time. Northeast swell rising to 4 metres for a time. Southwest swell rising to 3 metres. Poor visibility in rain, easing Monday morning.

Wind may be too strong in the narrow channel

,,, but why is she sitting just off the wharf ??

She is docked at the Beach St berth, (southern side); the webcam is showing the container terminal berth.

They are not parallel, but angle in towards each other.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

She is still there at 10am Monday morning. Maasdam has gone and is now in Timaru.

Looks like Akaroa gets caught out again . Both ships were due in Akaroa today. Maasdam swapped to Timaru to avoid the crowds and now Golden is stuck in Port Chalmers.

Another case for Akaroa of getting the party all ready - and no one turns up ?.:eek:

No wonder Akaroa people are cheesed off.

editing to add...Port of Otago schedule has her leaving at 12.00

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

She is still there at 10am Monday morning. Maasdam has gone and is now in Timaru.

Looks like Akaroa gets caught out again . Both ships were due in Akaroa today. Maasdam swapped to Timaru to avoid the crowds and now Golden is stuck in Port Chalmers.

Another case for Akaroa of getting the party all ready - and no one turns up ?.:eek:

Hi Folks

Ah silly Me assumed she was southbound the port schedule shows her due to sail at midday so a dash up to wellington??

Regards

john

Edited by VK3DQ

Still there at 2:40, but, as expected, AIS data now shows Wellington as destination.

About 17 hours to Wellington, so hopefully may still get in before midday.

Taiaroa wind still a bit breezy...37 kts gust 45

PS: Looks like Legend of the Seas is also bypassing Akaroa today and proceeding Wellington - Dunedin.

Southerly swell straight into Akaroa likely precluded tendering I guess.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

editing to add...Port of Otago schedule has her leaving at 12.00

Maasdam was always scheduled to visit Timaru today 23rd January, not Akaroa.

Akaroa was expecting the Golden Princess and Legend of the Seas to visit today as listed on their cruise ship schedule.

Earlier this month we missed Akaroa on the Maasdam heading south because of weather. Around the time we hit Wellington the ships channel showed 70 knot winds.

Did not depart from Wellington until around 7 am the next day and proceeded straight to Port Chalmers.

Yes. :(

And we're going on Solstice in less than a month. I will have to start having some serious talks to the NZ weather gods. :eek:

Pray hard and pray often, if need be get down on your knees as well. It won't do any good but at least you can blame them for not listening if you miss any ports. :p

And we're going on Solstice in less than a month. I will have to start having some serious talks to the NZ weather gods. :eek:

Apparently the weather is going to be nicer next month.....

I will also have to talks to the NZ weather gods as we are going across on the Pacific Pearl :rolleyes:, Weeeeee! :eek:

Pray hard and pray often, if need be get down on your knees as well. It won't do any good but at least you can blame them for not listening if you miss any ports. :p

Actually you have to be careful what you wish for with the NZ weather gods. Some years ago we were doing a land trip around the South Island, in March. We did a day trip on the TranzAlpine and I was grumbling that the mountains didn't look as good without snow on them. Next day in Christchurch the temps never got above 9C, with heavy rain. Brrrr! The day after that we headed off to Mt Cook - with glorious fresh snow all over the mountains. I certainly got what I wished for and it was definitely worth the one freezing day in Christchurch - actually we went to the Antarctic Centre that day so it didn't matter.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ