Explorer of the Seas vs Carnival Miracle

SNJCruisers

I need some help please! I am currently booked on the EOS for a 10 day cruise out of Bayonne at the end of August visiting Bermuda, St Maarten, San Juan, St Thomas and Labadee. The Miracle has an eight day leaving on Labor Day and it goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I am having second thoughts and am thinking of switching. I am a loyal Carnival cruiser, I know that the Miracle just came out of dry dock and having cruised on the Spirit last year, I loved the flow and size of the ship.

Cost wise, the cruises are about the same 90 bucks per day including port and taxes.

Question one, does anyone know all of the upgrades that occurred during the dry dock in January? When it comes to lunch, I like the Wok station, the Burrito Bar, the Deli, the pizza....something that is cooked to order, not sitting in a buffet. While doing my Explorer research, it seems like it's basically buffet or an extra 4.95 for Johnnie Rockets. I also like my steakhouse, which is not available on the EOS, only Portofino's for a 20 dollar surcharge. I also like the fact that Carnival does not charge for espresso and cappuccino in the MDR.

Is there someone that has cruised on both that can sway me one way or another? Thank you very much for your input.

Well I might be a bit biased because we are booked on the same cruise, but you should try Royal even if you are a die hard Carnival fan. Trust me, from what I saw on the internet, you will not be disappointed. Plus you get a better itinerary and an extra two days longer, what can be better than that?!?!:D

Guest LoveMyBoxer

WOW! Just off the Explorer on Monday. It was the worst cruise we have ever been on. I highly suggest the Miracle! We have sailed on the Miracle the past three years and will again in July. You will have 2000 less people and more ship to enjoy! The adults and children on this sailing were the WORST I have ever encountered on any of our cruises. We even had three families thrown off in PR because the "kids" threw all the sports equipment into the ocean. The food on the EOS was HORRIBLE! The elevators were a disaster! There are only 3 lounges on the EOS to sit down and have a drink at. I don't consider any of the pubs or areas in the promenade a lounge, since we like quiet areas to have a drink and relax. Lastly, the Bayonne port is a DISASTER! The only good thing about this ship was the staff. Let me know if you have any specific questions you need answered. One more thing, Labadee is a waste of a stop except for the zip line. The beach is dirty and too over-crowded, no one coming around asking for drink orders. HMC is the best!

We LOVEEEE both of these ships! Here's my two cents.

Just off Miracle last Oct, it was very very nice and that was before the drydock.

It has been about 5 years since we were on EOS, but we still talk about it, we just loved it! Loved the English pub, Johnny Rockets, the ice skating show, etc..

So... Miracle has HMC going for it, BUT Bermuda is awesome and I would take the 10 day EOS in a heartbeat.... Sorry Miracle, we love you too:p

Having been on both, I was about to suggest the Explorer of the Seas. It was a fantastic ship the three times we sailed on her.

But based on your requirements of food, you have more availability of it on the Miracle. Lunch options on the Explorer are basically the buffet and the dining room, but the buffet was repeated choices day after day of the same stuff.

I also don't like reading the latest reviews of the Explorer of the Seas, especially the condition of the ship and the smells it seems to be emitting.

The ships Lido deck was in pretty poor condition last time we sailed her, but we were under the impression the ship was being refurbished. Something seems to be wrong.

This is a tough one....

I have sailed the Miracle twice. The first time (2004) was my most best and memorable CCL cruise ever. The second time didn't quite make such an impression but it still was very good. I prefer the Spirit Class ships in CCL's line.

We sailed with RCI only once, on the Explorer for only 5 days to Bermuda out of Bayonne. This was in 2008 .......so it's been a while. Although I really don't think it's fair to judge a line on one cruise (especially a short one), that cruise was our worst in terms of food/service.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like it was a nightmare or anything, it just didn't measure up to CCL in our eyes AT THAT TIME.

(Measuring them against each other now might prove differently for us)

However, the Explorer was absolutely a stunning ship and as far as the itineraries you posted, Explorer wins that hands down and it's 10 days compared to 8.

Tough decision, but if it were me, I would choose RCI because it's a longer cruise and the ship is gorgeous and RCI entertainment and activities are excellent.

We loved the Explorer in September of 2011. My daughter got married in Bermuda and and we went with 49 friends and family. We had a great time! It was a beautiful ship and would do her again in a heartbeat. I have been on the Miracle and it was a great ship, as well. That said, with the 10 day itinerary I would do the Explorer. I have not experienced the type of issues other have described on the Explorer, but every trip is different.

We loved the Explorer in September of 2011. My daughter got married in Bermuda and and we went with 49 friends and family. We had a great time! It was a beautiful ship and would do her again in a heartbeat. I have been on the Miracle and it was a great ship, as well. That said, with the 10 day itinerary I would do the Explorer. I have not experienced the type of issues other have described on the Explorer, but every trip is different.

Do you know what time the Windjammer Cafe opens for dinner? I had read that at dinner time, they have a Mongolian Wok station and since we are not eating dinner till 830, a cooked to order appetizer at 530 or 600 would tide me over and somewhat quell my concerns over a 138,000 ton ship having so few lunch options. I guess that RCCL thought that more people cared about rock climbing walls and ice skating rinks than more options for a decent lunch.

I have been on the Miracle and the Explorer 3 times each. My favorite ship is the Explorer. It is a beautiful ship and the crew are amazing. The Miracle is very nice, but my heart belongs to The Explorer. That being said, I feel the food was better on the Miracle. If I were to choose, I would go with the Explorer. You will have a wonderful time on whichever cruise you choose.

We've been on RCCL EOS, AOS & MOS and FOS

We've been on CCL Spririt x 2. Going on Miracle at end of May.

IMHO RCCL food has gone down hill. Late night options are limited and room service costs $ after midnight. I loved getting those late night Reubens or Chicken Tikka sandwiches on the Spirit.

Buffet at lunch on Voyager class was practically the same every day. In and Out burger.

More entertainment/things to do on Voyager class. Liked the layout.

I'd prefer the Spirit class given it has a better gross ton to pax ratio.

For us certain itineraries (longer) on CCL is our choice and not worth the higher cost of RCCL. Just not enough difference between the two to pay the premium for RCCL.

Mind you we have been upgraded twice on RCCL (Balcony to Suite and Balcony to aft corner) at no cost. With CCL all we got was an upsell offer $500 for one of the sucker suites on the Spirit. We had one of the bowling alley balconies and said no thanx, laughing.

Have sailed Explorer 3 times, haven't sailed Miracle but just came off Carnival Freedom....One thing I wish Carnival would follow RCI on is being able to order a hot breakfast from room service.

While I LOVE LOVE LOVE Half Moon Cay, I'd probably go with the longer itinerary.

Both are very nice ships; EoS is larger.

Things I'd miss if on EoS: larger Carnival cabin, waterslide; IMO Carnival food was better (back then). I did like the parade they did through the Promenade area on EoS.

Things I'd miss if on Miracle: um, the pretty atrium on EoS, outside all-around walking deck.

It's nice to sail something different (which is why I went on EoS a few years ago in the first place!)

Went on the Explorer on Dec 2011. Beautiful Ship. The Wok Station was just to die for. Made to order and hot. They may not have a steak house

but they had wonderful steaks in the Main Dining Room. And our servers

Special "K" and Joel were the very best. And they have the Ice Show which is so much fun to watch. Never been on the Miracle but wouldn't

mind trying. Anyhow, just feel lucky enough to go cruising on any ship:p

Archived