Need Some Medical Help

Escrowgal

Dear Everyone,

I have been a voracious reader of these boards since we decided to go on a extended family cruise over Christmas. Up until last week, everything was going along as planned and then we hit a snag. My mother, who has end stage renal failure (kidney disease) had to start dialysis after resisting the idea for years! While this made her doctors (and family) breath much easier, it throws a wrench into our cruise plans.

I am working on finding out if dialysis will be available on this cruise but have not yet heard back. Does anyone out there know if dialysis would be available in Puerto Vallarta? I think this would be the best port to try and find it in if not available onboard ship. If there is anyone out there who live in PV or may have some insight, I would appreciate it.:eek:

On another cruise line- my Dad was able to have dialysis set up for him on the ship... and he did it during the "at sea" day--- and had a great cruise- you just need to call and see what they have available. Also- if you explain to the MD's that she will be on a cruise... they may be able to set up a special sced. that week where she can go more before and after she gets back and "skip" while on the cruise...although they will give her a list of things to monitor in her diet and may change her meds slightly during the week... my Dad has also done this before. Anyway- he has now just had his 2 yr anniversary w/ his new kidney :) Good Luck- and remeber she can still have a great trip!

Dear Everyone,

I have been a voracious reader of these boards since we decided to go on a extended family cruise over Christmas. Up until last week, everything was going along as planned and then we hit a snag. My mother, who has end stage renal failure (kidney disease) had to start dialysis after resisting the idea for years! While this made her doctors (and family) breath much easier, it throws a wrench into our cruise plans.

I am working on finding out if dialysis will be available on this cruise but have not yet heard back. Does anyone out there know if dialysis would be available in Puerto Vallarta? I think this would be the best port to try and find it in if not available onboard ship. If there is anyone out there who live in PV or may have some insight, I would appreciate it.:eek:

There are some cruise lines that specialize in dialysis cruisers... but you have already booked this cruise.. however in the future if you are interested in this let me know. I would think your doctors at home could find out about the availability of dialysis for you especially since you will need to have a written form to submit to the cruise line.. I would also call the cruise lines's medical staff office (you can get from your TA or call the cruise line 800 number).. they have criteria for patients on dialysis and you want to ensure that this is taken care of before you get to the port (or you may have done this already)... they will /should also know re dialysis in port.

Archived