Royston/Thenford Grey vs Javin questions

Syracruisin

We (fiance and I) will be stopping in St. Kitts during our Southern Caribbean cruise, and I'd like to book an excursion on the island. I've heard great things about several tour operators. I know people have asked for recommendations before, and responses regarding Royston and Javin (myislandtours) both indicate the tours are can be customizable, but has anyone actually had a tour where they deviated from what's in the itinerary?

The main differences between the two types of tours seems to be that Royston/Thenford go to Brimstone Hill Fortress and Romney Manor, and Javin doesn't but instead goes into the rain forest and to two beaches. Also, he doesn't include lunch or alcohol in his price. Royston mentions a rain forest as part of his tour on his website, but has anyone actually gone into one on Royston or Thenford's tour? If so, what was it like? Or has Javin taken anyone at their request to Brimstone?

We are really interested in experiencing a rain forest (our favorite stop during a week in Mexico was visiting Sian Ka'an biosphere), and the more active nature of that excursion really appeals to us, but we don't want to end up feeling like we missed out on the #1 "must see" attraction on the island. And at nearly twice the cost, we want to make sure Javin's tour will be best for us.

Thank you for any advice you provide!

We (fiance and I) will be stopping in St. Kitts during our Southern Caribbean cruise, and I'd like to book an excursion on the island. I've heard great things about several tour operators. I know people have asked for recommendations before, and responses regarding Royston and Javin (myislandtours) both indicate the tours are can be customizable, but has anyone actually had a tour where they deviated from what's in the itinerary?

The main differences between the two types of tours seems to be that Royston/Thenford go to Brimstone Hill Fortress and Romney Manor, and Javin doesn't but instead goes into the rain forest and to two beaches. Also, he doesn't include lunch or alcohol in his price. Royston mentions a rain forest as part of his tour on his website, but has anyone actually gone into one on Royston or Thenford's tour? If so, what was it like? Or has Javin taken anyone at their request to Brimstone?

We are really interested in experiencing a rain forest (our favorite stop during a week in Mexico was visiting Sian Ka'an biosphere), and the more active nature of that excursion really appeals to us, but we don't want to end up feeling like we missed out on the #1 "must see" attraction on the island. And at nearly twice the cost, we want to make sure Javin's tour will be best for us.

Thenford Grey can provide private tours to fit your interests. We have taken his regular tour and private tours. He is a fine gentleman and will help you.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on the basic island tour that Royston does, but I believe he also has a separate tour that concentrates on the rainforest. I'd say to search CC, but we know that's down for now. You might find some threads/reviews of this if you page back a ways on the St. Kitts board or possibly tripadvisor.

We've toured with Thenford and Javin.

Thenford is an excellent guide, and a real gentleman. We semi-customized his standard tour, to include rainforest and skip the beach. Along with the others on the tour we went to Brimstone (an awesome site and a perfect location for photography) and to Romney Manor. That's where our itinerary differed from everyone else's. Thenford arranged for another guide to meet us outside the gardens at Romney Manor, which was where our rainforest portion began. There were seven of us, including our friend's 79 year old mother, who decided to join us instead of rather than continuing on with Thenford. The rest of us were 2 mid-20's guys and 4 mid- to late-50's adults. We were nervous when mom said she wanted to go with us. We needn't have worried. The guide was very good and stayed with her (except when he was swinging on vines with some of us). It was a different rainforest hike than we were used to - short and easy, more of a walk in the park. Not exactly a hike (luckily, considering mom). The guide who took us on the rainforest walk then took us back to the ship. Overall, it was an enjoyable day. Not exactly what we were anticipating in a rainforest hike, but both Thenford and the second guide were wonderful, and Brimstone is one of those don't miss sites.

The following year, when it was just 4 of us (our sons and friend's mother weren't with us) we went with Javin. We took his standard day, as we have Brimstone several times and wanted the soft adventure tour he normally does. We loved it! We are hoping to tour with him again in 2015. We climbed on Black Rocks, did a real rain forest hike, after which we had refreshments consisting of freshly baked local breads and pastries and local fruit juice and water, went snorkeling on a wreck, and spent a short time relaxing on a beach. It was rained part of the day and we couldn't do the whole hike because of the rain. Next year we're hoping to finish that hike and skip the beach. Javin is a great guy and and guide, filled us with all kinds of interesting information. He also stopped at a cane field and got up us some cane to taste.

Edited by Miss Vickie

• 4 weeks later...

We did a custom tour with Javin in December. We skipped the beach and got a slight break on our price. He did that because we were the only two booked that day. I asked a few days ahead of time if there had been any other bookings and since there weren't, I pitched my idea and he agreed.

Also, he did have rum available, but only after snorkeling. Safety first! He also served fresh baked scones and other breads after the rainforest hike. They were delicious and perfectly adequate for lunch. As silly as this sounds, it really impressed me that he had soap and water available for washing up beforehand. It just seemed like he thought of the little details.

A great day!

Pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116889349930358549335/MyislandsTourByJavin?authkey=Gv1sRgCMW7veXFhNSJdQ

We did a custom tour with Javin in December. We skipped the beach and got a slight break on our price. He did that because we were the only two booked that day. I asked a few days ahead of time if there had been any other bookings and since there weren't, I pitched my idea and he agreed.

Also, he did have rum available, but only after snorkeling. Safety first! He also served fresh baked scones and other breads after the rainforest hike. They were delicious and perfectly adequate for lunch. As silly as this sounds, it really impressed me that he had soap and water available for washing up beforehand. It just seemed like he thought of the little details.

A great day!

Pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116889349930358549335/MyislandsTourByJavin?authkey=Gv1sRgCMW7veXFhNSJdQ

Your pictures with Javin are amazing! Looks like a GREAT day! Very tempting!

Your pictures with Javin are amazing! Looks like a GREAT day! Very tempting!

And what is really cool is that it is Javin or his assistant, Bobby in our case, are taking the photos. And they're doing it constantly. It's like being a celebrity and being followed by paparazzi all day. It was rather odd at first, but I'm so glad to have all those photos.

He posts all his photos at his website within a few days and they are ours to keep. No CD to buy at the end of the tour!

We've been out with Javin twice and loved every minute of it! The first trip with just DH and myself and the second it was more of a 'tour' on his new safari bus. We had our 'kids' with us the second time (22&18) and they said Javin was their favorite part of the whole cruise. I actually just emailed him to see what we can do different in 2015 (hopefully with him) and stopping at the beach after. No tour is complete without stopping at Lions Bar!

Can't wait for our return trip in 2015. The snacks he has are delicious and yes, the soap and water to wash up with are a huge plus. You won't regret your day with Javin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been out with Javin twice and loved every minute of it! The first trip with just DH and myself and the second it was more of a 'tour' on his new safari bus. We had our 'kids' with us the second time (22&18) and they said Javin was their favorite part of the whole cruise. I actually just emailed him to see what we can do different in 2015 (hopefully with him) and stopping at the beach after. No tour is complete without stopping at Lions Bar!

Can't wait for our return trip in 2015. The snacks he has are delicious and yes, the soap and water to wash up with are a huge plus. You won't regret your day with Javin

We're back in St. Kitts first week of February 3015. I've been keeping in touch with Javin and his wife, they aren't taking 2015 bookings just yet. Last time it was 4 of us with Javin in his 4 wheel drive, haven't seen the safari bus yet. By the way, have you seen is Facebook page, Myisland Tours by Javin?

Edited by Miss Vickie

We're back in St. Kitts first week of February 3015. I've been keeping in touch with Javin and his wife, they aren't taking 2015 bookings just yet. Last time it was 4 of us with Javin in his 4 wheel drive, haven't seen the safari bus yet. By the way, have you seen is Facebook page, Myisland Tours by Javin?

Just "liked" it. I was already "friends" with him on FB. I have been in contact with him regarding our 2015 trip. Hes doing his best to see which way we want to go. Of course we are requesting whatever we opt to do we want to end our day at Lions!

• 3 weeks later...

Miss Vickie - seeing as you have done both tours and are looking to book again with Javin, am I to assume you preferred Javin's tour?

We will be sailing on the Disney Magic in October with a four and a one year old. Can you recommend which tour might be better for my family based on your experiences? My older boy loves the beach, hoping the same for the baby.

Miss Vickie - seeing as you have done both tours and are looking to book again with Javin, am I to assume you preferred Javin's tour?

We will be sailing on the Disney Magic in October with a four and a one year old. Can you recommend which tour might be better for my family based on your experiences? My older boy loves the beach, hoping the same for the baby.

We enjoyed both tours - they are very different from each other, and we usually pick the more active option. Javin's is the more active of the two, including climbIng around on Black Rocks, a rain forest hike and snorkeling, plus a little chill out on the beach at then end.

Normally when someone asks if an excursion is appropriate for their children and I trust the tour operator to be truthful, I recommend that you contact the operator for their advice. A good tour operator won't encourage you to bring someone who won't be able to manage the tour. And I do trust Javin to be honest, if you ask him. That being said, I don't think it would be the best choice for your family. Your 4 year old might be able to handle Black Rocks with assistance. One of you would have to stay at the top with the baby (you clamber down and then back up). Depending on your older child's endurance, he would probably be okay on the rain forest hike. The baby would be okay in a backpack; it would not be great to carry him/her - you do have to watch where you're stepping and can face some slippery rocks and roots and stones to deal with. The snorkeling isn't off a gentle beach - entry is from a dock, and wasn't a child-friendly snorkel when we were there. And we're all experienced. The swim out is relatively far, the day we were there there was a fair amount of current. And there's nothing to see closer in - the attraction is the wreck in the middle of the bay. The beach stop at the end is about an hour, from what I remember, on a quiet beach. One thing is guaranteed - your kids would sleep well that night!

Thenford's tour would be okay for the kids, they'd probably really enjoy the fortress. And it is a fabulous place for photography.

You may want to consider the train ride - all the cruise lines offer that trip, and kids usually love trains!

Thank you for your honest feedback Miss Vickie. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. After I had posted this question I came across a review with photos of the Javin tour. I saw some pics of people climbing on the rocks and in the rain forest and realized it probably wasn't the best choice for our family.

I will look and see what the train offers.

I'm still unclear as to the big price difference between Javin and Thenford Grey - any clarification? Just beginning to research for Valor cruise in October. Hard to decide when there seems to be so many great tours for SK! :) This will be our first visit to SK.

I'm still unclear as to the big price difference between Javin and Thenford Grey - any clarification? Just beginning to research for Valor cruise in October. Hard to decide when there seems to be so many great tours for SK! :) This will be our first visit to SK.

Thenford uses a large bus and can take more people than Javin, Thenford also includes all admission prices in his tour. Javin's tour is more adventurous and he takes less people. That could be some of why the price difference.

We've done both and if it's your 1st time to St Kitts I think you get a better overall look at the island on Thenford's tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember that all these tours include other people, so the entire group would need to agree to a customization. That said, yes. I understand that Thenford has offered a rain forest hike for passengers who preferred that option to a stop at the beach. The tour operators usually DROP passengers at the beach for a block of time, but if enough people prefer to do something else, it can likely be accommodated.

I recently toured with Royston. There were only six people in our group and none of us wanted a lot of beach time. We established that up front and Royston arranged the tour accordingly.

We've been with Javin twice and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Actually we are in discussions for February. Anyway, yes Javin takes you to the rain forest BUT it's not the same that everyone else goes to. He takes you first to the black rocks not to view but to actually hike down onto them for some amazing pictures. Then you go into the village he grew up in and enter the rainforest into his childhood backyard. Simply breathtaking. Once done that he will offer you some local pastries, waters. And local juices after you wash your hands! Yes he provides soap and water for rinsing. You'll not head to a local beach where you'll snorkel to a ship wreck and the. Finally to a beach to either swim, walk or enjoy Lions Bar. Yes you must great lions punch. I prefer without the spice but wowzers! Enjoy!