Istanbul hotel ideas...

We stayed at the Hotel Lausos. Prices are good, rooms are small, but breakfast is great, the people there are great. We had a large group from our cruise that stayed there.

The location is super.

http://www.hotellausos.com/

When booking our hotel in Istanbul, I did my own research and was prepared to go with a hotel, but another member of the cruise critic website had booked at the Hotel Lausos. The location was great, a block from the Hippodrome, offered free breakfast, free pickup at the airport for about 90 euros per night. So many Constellation cruisers booked at the hotel, the hotel had a special tea for us; allowing us to get to know our fellow cruisers before the cruise.

I second 4774papa's reply as we were part of the group that stayed there at the same time. Location was excellent, easy walking distance to the Hagia Sopia/topkapi palace etc. Rooms a bit small by US standards but perfectly adequate and clean. Staff very friendly, free wi-fi, free breakfast. Perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived in Istanbul exactly one year ago today and can highly recommend the Hotel Empress Zoe. It is in the old city, just a couple of blocks from the Hagia Sophia/Topkapi. It is on a corner of two small streets with lots of restaurants and hotels. Our room was one floor up from the lobby and had a small balcony where you could sit and watch the street below. The entire hotel was covered with flowering wisteria vines. There hotel is build in and around a the ruins of an old Hamam (Turkish bath). Breakfast is served in a garden courtyard in the middle of the hotel. It might be the most peaceful place in all of Istanbul. You can get coffee/tea/drinks there in the PM. The front desk service was excellent. We were routinely ripped off by cab drivers we hailed on the street, but when the front desk called them for us, they were always honest. This is a boutique hotel (not big, fancy, or modern), but with lots of charm and very comfortable and affordable. One drawback - it's not very accessible. The only way we could find to get to the rooms from the front lobby was up a narrow metal spiral staircase. If you need an elevator, it isn't for you. And if you get the balcony room, the minaret of the neighborhood mosque is right outside your window so you will be awakened by the early call to prayer. But this is Istanbul. Enjoy it.

The area around the BLue Mosque, Hippordrome, Hagia Sophia have great hotels one after another on all the side streets. And the streets are lined with outdoor cafes. I would defintely stay in a Turkish hotel rather than a chain hotel.

I stayed at the Sari Konak. Konak means house. Wonderful service, large room with large bath. The breakfast was included in our price. Both hot and cold slections. They also have a roof top area for great relaxing after a day of walking.

I did walk each day pass the Blue House. It was a two blocks away.

As others have said go on trip advisor and pick own that suits you and your budget.

Staying in this areas was wonderful for walking to all the sights. We even walked to the Grand Bazaar which was doable , rather than take the tram.

I can't give you a recommendation for any of the ones you've listed (haven't stayed there), but I can give a thumb's up to the Sari Konak hotel. Well located, nice hotel with good ratings and great service.

I was going to second this recommendation but it looks like I'm "fourthing" it!

Will be in Istanbul at the end of a Black Sea cruise in June and have booked Sari Konak for our second stay.

Last October, we stayed at the Hotel Nena in the old city. It is family run, convenient to everything and has a great breakfast in their rooftop restaurant overlooking the Blue Mosque. Rooms were very clean. Since we stayed 3 nights, they included an airport pick up for us.