Seeking advice on Mediterranean cruise, new to the forums.

whodack

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Our budget is under 12k.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

We're booked on Reflection for a 10 night Med cruise the end of May, so I can tell you a bit about how our decision making went. We enjoy Celebrity but also Princess and NCL, decided on Celebrity for a number of reasons. First and foremost, they have the itinerary we want --- round trip Rome allowing us to start our trip with 2 nights there, followed by a cruise to Athens and the Greek Isles, Naples, Sicily, and Kusadasi for Ephesus. We have been to some of those before but are traveling with my sister and her husband who are on their first European trip, and this cruise hits the highlights. Second, the atmosphere in Celebrity is more relaxed and elegant than some of the other lines, which we will welcome after our busy port days. Food and service are very good, decor of the S class ships is modern and lovely. We have booked Aqua Class so that we can dine in Blu , where the service and food are a step up from the MDR and he dress code is smart casual every night, so no need to carry formal clothes across the Atlantic (been there, done that.) Crowding has never been an issue on our Celebrity cruises, and they have been more adult oriented although children are present. Anyway, our cruise seems like a good mix of itinerary and a stress free environment to recharge our batteries. You can certainly do a Celebrity Med cruise plus airfare and tours in your price range, just depends how fancy you want to go for your cabin.

Edited by cynbar

First time poster here. My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

Welcome and appreciate your first posting. Don't be shy. Keep asking. There are lots and lots of Med options, BUT, it depends so much on what you most seek, like and need. There's a dramatic difference for the Carib versus the Med. So much more history, culture, dramatic setting, food, wine, etc, etc., in the Med. Real history there, especially in Italy and Greece. One cruise can't do it "ALL". Many of the better cruises might be for 10-12 days. When you are going all of the way to Europe, you want to spend enough time there to make it worth those long flights and transportation costs. The port where you board can be a big factor.

Below are details on a Celebrity cruise we did in June 2011 before the summer heat and school vacation crowds got too challenging. Barcelona can be a super port from which board and return as the airport is so close and handy to their charming downtown and the port area. Rome can work, but there is sizable distance between the port, airport and this famed city. Check out this posting for more info/background on a nice ship like the Celebrity Solstice-class, its entertainment, food options, etc. PLUS, lots of visuals and details on many key Med ports, especially for Italy, Venice, southern France, the Croatian Coast, etc.

Tell us more on what you most like to do and see, how much for history, culture, nature, cities, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 168,146 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The "one that seems to not belong" in your list is "large ship". My choices would all be smaller ships...windstar, azamara, oceania, all of which give wonderful service (subjective) excellent food and wonderful experiences. The cities you visit are almost unimportant...although I'd suggest not trying to get to Florence or Paris from a ship.

Try to book a balcony cabin...it is wonderful to sit outside and watch the sea pass by....it's also liberating to just open the door and your cabin suddenly become larger.

Celebrity can provide a wonderful experience, but you can't get away from it being a larger ship, at least at times...eg when trying to sit quietly around the pool. If you do book celebrity, book Aqua class so you can dine in Blu, the restaurant dedicated to aqua passengers....much quieter, much nicer presentation and they serve both breakfast and dinner when you want it...no fixed seating (no reservations either). Lunch will be on your own, but there are multiple options....but again, if you go to the buffet, you are now on a larger ship looking for a table, etc.

Hope this helps a little.

The Mediterranean cruise experience alone provides the ambiance for a unique and enjoyable cruise. The ship you use is important, but know that you will return, as there is so much to see and do. I loved the 10 day Celebrity cruise to the E. Med, but just know that it is port intensive. That being said, four of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, even though we were so busy! I wouldn't of had it any other way...I liked it so much more than the Western Med, and a little more than the Adriatic, but not much more. They all have their special places! There are so many ships to consider and I would be wrong to gear you towards a brand or cabin. This is your job; you know what you prefer and I don't. Whatever you decide, you both will have a wonderful journey and make so many memories!:)

You're not going to find a 6 day cruise in the Med, and quite honestly, seeing that you'll pay big bucks for flights to Europe, the longer you can be on the cruise, the more it will make the whole thing worth it.

Are you talking about cruising THIS June? You're really booking rather late for this June. And finding flights could be difficult to find this late in the game, and could very well be more expensive.

If you want less kids (only a couple of ships from the P&O line are adults only), and a smaller ship, look at Oceania or Azamara. But again, if you're wanting to cruise this June, it's likely those small ships could already be booked.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Edited by cruisead

Celebrity has several 7 night cruises in June and July. Not everyone has the time or comfort level to take a 10/12/13 night cruise. Or they Might want to combine the cruise with a land portion (we are doing 4 nights in Florence post cruise next month ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by librarylady19

We have just book a Celebrity cruise leaving out of Rome on June 9 2015. The Eastern Med cruise is our favorite cruise. We love Turkey and Greece. We like the Celbrity Solstice Class ships best. Azamara is also very nice. Richard

Have done 3 med. cruises and 1 adriatic. All have been wonderful. All have been 12-14 day cruises and I must agree that a 7 day would be too short seeing that the air is so high. We also like to add 2-3 days before or after the cruise depending on the city. Rome,Barcelona and Venice are cities you must spend more than a day in. We were planning on doing a Baltic cruise next year but only if the political atmosphere improves. Our next choice will be a Scandinavian cruise. These cruises seem to be more formal and relaxing.As far as children present that has never been a problem. We tend to book in the fall when school vacations are over,not as crowded, and the weather is milder. All have been on X and I am sure you will greatly enjoy yourself. Good luck in your choice.:):):)

If seeking a smaller, and that's relative, Celebrity ship look at a M class ship. They are the Millennium, Summit, Constellation and the Infinity. I know the Infinity is doing cruises out of England and Denmark. One of the fleet will be in Alaska. And I don't know if any are doing a 7 day cruise.

You are indeed very late to the game. Flights might be hard to find and they will be on the high side. If your proposed budget includes airfare you have created an interesting challenge. You are within the final payment for June cruises and you should look at a guarantee cabin if available in the class you wish to book.

In June you will see more children on the ships. It doesn't matter which line, there will be children. I have basically excluded the lines like Azamara and Oceania because of your budget.

Have you looked at excursions? They are very costly in Europe. Petrol is high and some countries, like Italy, require a tour leader and a driver per vehicle. It all adds up. When you choose a ship go immediately to your Roll Call to try to find some open seats on excursions. They will be far more reasonable than ship booked tours.

It would be best to fly in at least a day before your cruise particularly if sailing from Rome/Civitevecchia, or Athens/Pireus. These two ports are the greatest distance from the airports so a delayed flight could cause you to miss boarding. The same 90 minute rule applies in Europe too. Barcelona is the closest airport to the cruise port. Istanbul and Venice are somewhere in between.

European cruises are port intensive but at your ages you should not have a problem with fatigue. It will be warm to hot throughout the Med and crowded.

I wish you had more time to consider your options. Celebrity would be a good fit. The M class ships while medium, by today's standards, offer a more upscale experience than NCL or Carnival, or RCI. The food, while totally subjective, is generally better, especially the Blu Restaurant assigned to Aqua class cabin passengers. Of the four lines mentioned the proportion of children to adults should be lowest on Celebrity. No guarantees since June is well within the summer vacation time frame for many across the globe.

Don't wait for responses from Cruise Critic members, however. If you really want to cruise in Europe in a little over a month you really need a good travel agent. That means someone who you can talk to not an anonymous internet site. Let a professional assist you. And we all wish you good luck.

My first Med criuse was from Barcelona. As 30 something this embarkation port has it all as TLC Ohio says. Or do the 7 night cruise that Library Lady suggests.

Either way, fly in at least two days early, and enjoy Barcelona, Rome, Athens or even Istanbul as the the embarkation port.

Cruisng in the Med is very port intensive , you will have only one ot two sea days. The Celebrity ships are all great for your needs which is great food, service and nice cabins no matter which type you chose.

the best part for a MED cruise vacation is that you explore the port of call and surrounding area from 8:30 -4pm. Come back on ship go to the Sunset bar for sailaway, get ready for dinner, go to Martini Bar, have a wonderful five course meal, have a night cap again at the Sunset Bar, looking at the stars and the lights of the islands or mainline shore you are slowly passing by, go to bed , and repeat the next day.

The other advantage of a Med crusie is that you will meet people from all over the world , very international clientale. I have met wondrful folks that I still keep in contact with from Europe, Canada, New Zealand.

Edited by Azulann

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

Thanks!

Celebrity might be for you. I have not cruised this line yet, but we are planning to cruise in June. NCL would not be right, since it tends to be more family oriented. Since you are young, you want to be sure that there are adults your age, not much, much older. From what I understand, the shorter cruises will have a younger demographic.

I agree with a previous poster that the Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive. You will be off the ship all day and exhausted in the evening. Some suggested ports you might like are Rome, Florence, Naples, and Barcelona. You need to decide if you want to go to the Western or Eastern Mediterranean. If you don't know, I recommend the Western Mediterranean with some of the ports above.

Your 12k budget seems pretty generous but, remember, you will need to pay for airfare, hotel, excursions, etc.

I took my first med cruise on Celebrity. My husband and I are 27. I have been on other cruise lines so I can compare some about the crowd. There will be not a lot of children. Of course it depends on time of year/if it is a holiday. We went in May-June, hardly any kids.

As others have pointed out, airline tickets will cost quite a bit. My husband and I are saving up our sky miles now for our next med trip.

Just my 2 cents, I would try to do a longer cruise. it is a big trip to get over there! We spent almost 3 weeks (had a pre cruise and post cruise trips in Barcelona and Paris).

The boards here were a HUGE help when we were planning. Ask any questions!

I have a detailed review if you are interested :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095

Celebrity is a great line............... but go for the itinerary......

The best Med cruises go from either Civitavecchia (Rome), Venice or Barcelona........Civitavecchia is further from Rome and requires a rail trip or a longer road trip.....but is better for the eastern med trips........Barcelona is a great port of departure & a great way to spend a couple of days.......... Venice is magical and is also the best way to start an eastern med cruise.

All are great.........it depends what you want..........