Trip insurance

maxie01

CSA and TravelInsured are also good policies. It's a good idea to make a matrix of the features that each policy offers and choose the policy that addresses your specific needs: cancellation for work reasons, cancellation for school schedule change, free coverage for kids, etc.

Most 3rd party policies include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days (depending on which policy/insurer) of booking.

Some policies only pay for treatment during the cruise; most others pay for "continuing treatment" for 6 or 12 months after return.

ken

Check out inusuremytrip dot com and you can compare companies and coverages. They offer only A and A+ rated companies.

We normally choose Travel Guard which is rated high in all reviews. We fortunately have never had to file a claim.

For our December cruise next year we selected Travel Safe because we are insuring a combination of family and non-family members traveling from multiple states.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I need to insure 3 staterooms and 6 adults-77,52,51,24 & 22 family, non-family 25.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Definitely check out insuremytrip dot com. Many plans to compare and great pricing.

Check with Steve at tripinsurancestore dot com. He is very knowledgeable and gives you some good options. He listens, he asks questions before he recommends. Avoid Squaremouth dot com and their favorite Tin Leg, unless you really like to wait to be paid when you have a claim.....

Edited by Mr. Click
fixed typo

Check with Steve at tripinsurancestore dot com. He is very knowledgeable and gives you some good options. He listens, he asks questions before he recommends. Avoid Squaremouth dot com and their favorite Tin Leg, unless you really like to wait to be paid when you have a claim.....

Double the suggestion to speak with Steve or the others at

TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them.

There is no way to get ALL of the details and fine print on any website chart comparing policies.

And tell them exactly what your concerns are (medical, evac, trip delay/cancellation, or whatever).

They've helped us with quite a few policies now, including with advice for the process to file a rather large claim (paid promptly).

GeezerCouple

I started my search with tripinsurancestore online...but then THEY called me to discuss options and ideas. By the time I made my decision and called them back and spoke with one of their reps who had been helping she was telling me that Steve wanted to talk to me when we were done.....pretty nice when the owner is following on things.

I usually use Travelguard, but have purchased a couple Travelsafe policies in the last year. Travelsafe gave a little more coverage then TG, but it has been much easier to work with TG.

Had to cancel a trip and wanted to transfer the Travelsafe policy to another trip. With TG, you can do this right on line in just a few minutes. Travelsafe wanted me to provide them with documentation I was not out-of-pocket any expenses with the cancelled trip.

I emailed, asking them exactly what documentation they needed, as I didn't have any losses. No reply from them, so I finally called and found out I had lost my premium as the policy had to be transferred before the start date of the original trip. Emailed the customer service agent with whom I had been working to let her know about this, and received no response. Not impressive customer service.

I should have followed up in a more timely fashion when I got no response, but got busy and forgot about it. This wouldn't have happened with TG, so for the policy I purchased this week, I bought from TG.

Edited by 6rugrats

I usually use Travelguard, but have purchased a couple Travelsafe policies in the last year. Travelsafe gave a little more coverage then TG, but it has been much easier to work with TG.

Had to cancel a trip and wanted to transfer the Travelsafe policy to another trip. With TG, you can do this right on line in just a few minutes. Travelsafe wanted me to provide them with documentation I was not out-of-pocket any expenses with the cancelled trip.

I emailed, asking them exactly what documentation they needed, as I didn't have any losses. No reply from them, so I finally called and found out I had lost my premium as the policy had to be transferred before the start date of the original trip. Emailed the customer service agent with whom I had been working to let her know about this, and received no response. Not impressive customer service.

I should have followed up in a more timely fashion when I got no response, but got busy and forgot about it. This wouldn't have happened with TG, so for the policy I purchased this week, I bought from TG.

Weird.

How does one "prove" that one did NOT have any loss?

And the fine print there must be odd, too. If the coverage is changeable once to another trip (our TravelInsured policies have this advantage, too), and one doesn't make a claim... what's the problem with changing the trip?

We've changed trips a few times (once per policy, obviously), and it was just a matter of calling TripInsuranceStore.com folks, and telling them which trip we were cancelling and which trip was being substituted.

They just double check dates, and also whether or not it was indeed a different trip (vs. just changing a few details about the original trip, in which case it's not a "change", just adjusting the arrival/departure dates of original trip, and perhaps adding new non-refundable charges to be insured).

GeezerCouple

Weird.

How does one "prove" that one did NOT have any loss?

And the fine print there must be odd, too. If the coverage is changeable once to another trip (our TravelInsured policies have this advantage, too), and one doesn't make a claim... what's the problem with changing the trip?

We've changed trips a few times (once per policy, obviously), and it was just a matter of calling TripInsuranceStore.com folks, and telling them which trip we were cancelling and which trip was being substituted.

They just double check dates, and also whether or not it was indeed a different trip (vs. just changing a few details about the original trip, in which case it's not a "change", just adjusting the arrival/departure dates of original trip, and perhaps adding new non-refundable charges to be insured).

GeezerCouple

Exactly. The email response to my request to transfer to a new trip was:

As long as you did not occur any penalties, and we have the new dates prior to the original date, we can transfer the policy for you.

We need documentation sent over from the supplier showing that you did not occur any penalties and the new travel dates.

I didn't know exactly what to send them, since all I had was an email cancelling a cruise from a TA, and my cancellation notice from the airline, I emailed twice, asking if this is what they wanted, with no response.

While waiting for a response, I missed the deadline (agree this was my fault), so I lost my premium. Decided then to stick with TG in the future.

Edited by 6rugrats

Exactly. The email response to my request to transfer to a new trip was:

As long as you did not occur any penalties, and we have the new dates prior to the original date, we can transfer the policy for you.

We need documentation sent over from the supplier showing that you did not occur any penalties and the new travel dates.

I didn't know exactly what to send them, since all I had was an email cancelling a cruise from a TA, and my cancellation notice from the airline, I emailed twice, asking if this is what they wanted, with no response.

While waiting for a response, I missed the deadline (agree this was my fault), so I lost my premium. Decided then to stick with TG in the future.

I'm not sure I agree that you "missed the deadline".

Did you send the information/documentation within any time period needed?

And they just didn't respond?

Did you pay by charge card?

I think I'd first demand the coverage for a "second trip", despite the now-passed deadline, because THEY missed the deadline, not you.

And if no response still (or a negative response), I'd dispute the charge.

Or start filing complaints somewhere (state insurance commissioner letter often gets a response, or just telling insurer that "that's the next step").

GeezerCouple

Hindsight is 20-20 but if I want something done by a vendor or supplier, I always use the telephone and I call them as many times as necessary. It is a lot harder to ignore a phone call than to ignore an e-mail.

I have noticed and I am not picking on you but a lot of people on CC seem to believe in the magical powers of e-mails and they wait until the receiver gets around to responding. Sometimes you have to dig to find a phone number but you can usually but not always find it. When you do call, make sure to get the name and extension of everyone you talk to.

Also, if the person answering the phone is evasive, tell them you want to talk to a supervisor.

DON