Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Private Islands

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Private Islands Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.

Old February 15th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Great Stirrup Cay questions

We will be at Great Stirrup Cay on the Jewel 4/21 and have some questions.

I read that they give massages on the beach. Is that still true? How much do they cost? How do you sign up for them or is it just a walk-up kind of thing?

What kinds of rentals do they have on the island? Do they rent sailboats? Floats? What are the prices?

Has anyone walked over to the lighthouse? How far a walk is it?

Where is the best place for snorkeling?

Is it hard to get an early tender ticket?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Old February 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gsc

We've sailed on the Spirit and the Dawn. GSC was to be the first stop on both itineraries, however, because of high seas, NCL pulled away from the island and we continued onward. At this point, I never really count on a stop until the tenders are actually boarding passengers.

Old February 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Gsc

Good advice. You just never know when it comes to tendering. Did your ship stop in Nassau instead or did you just get an extra sea day?

Old February 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Gsc

Anyone out there who HAS been to Great Stirrup Cay? :-)

Old February 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have been there twice, and loved it both times. Unfortunately, I don't know many of your answers. They do rent floats and snorkeling equipment. Snorkeling equipment was $29 for the day, but I don't know the price on the floats. They also have parasailing which was $75. I didn't do a massage or walk to the Light House. They have plenty of food and drinks available. We loved the snorkeling to the right of the tender lane. We did not try to get an early tender so I can't say just how bad the lines were, we just wait a bit and go over when things have calmed down a bit!

Norwegian Gem, 1/15/2014, 1 Night
Norwegian Gem, 12/13/2013, 1 Night
Norwegian Gem, 11/15/2013, 1 Night
Norwegian Breakaway, 6/30/2013, 7 Nights Bermuda
Norwegian Jewel, 2/1/2013, 2 Nights Hullaballoo
Norwegian Gem, 9/28/2012, 2 More Nights Somewhere Out There
Norwegian Gem, 6/30/2012, 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Norwegian Star, 4/27/2012, 2 Nights Somewhere Out There
Norwegian Gem, 1/28/2012, 1 Night After Christmas Sail
Norwegian Jewel, 10168, 4/17/2011, 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Norwegian Gem, 1/21/2011, 1 Night Dinner Dance
Norwegain Epic, 11319, 7/10/2010, 7 Nights Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Gem, 14014, 2/13/2010, 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Norwegian Gem, 11100, 1/23/2010, 1 Night Dinner Dance
Carnival Dream, 11/13/2009, 2 Nights
Norwegian Gem, 10168, 4/11/09, 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Norwegian Gem, 10668, 2/16/08 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit, 8525, 9/1/07 1 Night Dinner Dance
Norwegian Spirit, 5069 7/7/07 8 Nights Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Dawn, 9238 4/12/07 11 Nights Western Carribean
Norwegian Spirit, 9668 7/16/06 6 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit, 10627 11/18/05 1 Night Dinner/Dance
Norwegian Dawn, 11680 6/26/05 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas
Carnival Miracle, 7271 6/12/04 7 Nights Florida/Bahamas

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
BeckyThane

I've been to GSC twice on the Dawn, and neither time did they give out tender tickets. I think since they switched to using the larger local tender boats they stopped giving out tender tickets. We've never had much of a wait, either, but then again, we don't aspire to be the first ones on the beach. We usually wait 30-45 minutes.

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Will try to answer some questions!

We went to GSC on The Jewel in December..........and LOVED it! I was skeptical b/c I thought we'd be bored. But it was a fun, relaxing day!

1. There was a tent set up with two people giving massages the day we were there. It looked heavenly. Sorry to say I didn't get a massage, so I can't tell you the price. I did do beach yoga with my SIL and enjoyed that. She signed us up on the ship in advance. The fee for that was $10 and you just gave the instructor your room card once the class was over.

2. I did not see any sailboats. The water is roped off for floats and snorkeling so I know you couldn't sail there. If there was an area for sailing, I completely missed it. You are in a pretty small inlet area. We did rent a couple of floats. They have two types for rent: a large, circular float that would hold 4-6 people or 'regular' oblong, one person floats. The larger floats were renting for $20 I think, but at the beginning of the day they wouldn't let us rent those. They said the current was too strong and those floats were easily pulled away from the 'designated area'. So I rented two of the $10 oblong floats (these were good size). Later in the day, I noticed the circular floats showing up in the water. One group did get stuck in a current on theirs and had to jump off and be brought back in by an NCL waverunner type boat. The float went on and 'escaped' captivity for good. The kids in our group all went in the water and had no problems whatsoever with a current and enjoyed swimming, etc. You could rent snorkel equipment for $29 or get a vest for free if you had your own snorkel equipment.

3. There are two separate paths to take for a hike. My BIL and nephews walked to the lighthouse and were gone for approx. 1 hour.....but I know they explored along the way.

4. We were in a suite and got VIP tender tickets, but did not actually have to use them. We didn't leave the ship until approx. 10:00 a.m. and there wasn't really a line. Our tender was full and more tenders kept bringing people over until approx. 12 noon, then people started to go back to the ship in waves (pardon the pun ). We hung around to go back on one of the last tenders (because we shopped in the little shops there, watched the kids play volleyball and enjoyed daiquiris) but beware of this if you don't like lines. We had to wait for two tenders full of people before we got on one, so we waited in line maybe 30 minutes.

So, have fun and enjoy! The beach does get crowded with chairs but we had no problems finding chairs, an umbrella and space. I was glad we were able to stop!! Bon Voyage!
12/2006 NCL Jewel
6/2007 NCL Pride of Hawaii
3/2008 RCCL Voyager of the Seas
6/2010 RCCL Oasis of the Seas
3/2012 RCCL Voyager of the Seas

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCrow View Post
We will be at Great Stirrup Cay on the Jewel 4/21 and have some questions.

1. I read that they give massages on the beach. Is that still true? How much do they cost? How do you sign up for them or is it just a walk-up kind of thing?

2 . What kinds of rentals do they have on the island? Do they rent sailboats? Floats? What are the prices?

3 .Has anyone walked over to the lighthouse? How far a walk is it?

4. Where is the best place for snorkeling?

5. Is it hard to get an early tender ticket?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
1. The massage are given in a little ''tent'', I don't know the price.
2. They rent floats but I don't know the price
3. I walked to the lighthouse. It is an easy walk and level ground, I think it takes about 30 minutes to get there. I enjoyed the short hike but the lighthouse is nothing, just an old small lighthouse and it's surrounded by dense vegetation. After the lighthouse, continue your walk for another 5 minutes and you'll arrive in a spot where you have a view and it's not crowded as the main beach.
4. I don't snorkel
5. I had no problem stepping on the first tender but it was about 7.45 in the morning, they didn't give tickets, you just stand in line until the next tender.

I enjoyed the island. I live in Canada and I don't see beaches too often. The sand was nice (not like in Florida), the water very clear (with some jellyfish though, but not too many), the hike was perfect to get away from the crowd, the BBQ was good and there are many pictures opportunity. I enjoyed reading my book under the umbrella too.

HAL Maasdam, June 14, 2014 with a sweet lady roomate
NCL Pearl, November 5, 2013 solo
NCL Gem, November 25, 2012 with my parents and Bridge Group
HAL Maasdam, May 14, 2011 with a Sweet Lady Roomate
NCL Jewel, November 14, 2010 with my Bridge Group
NCL Gem, January 13, 2010, with a roomate
NCL Jewel, October 30, 2009, with DBF
Cunard QM2, B2B Crossing, AUG. 7, 2008, Solo
NCL Spirit, February 10, 2007, with my sister-in-law
NCL Spirit, September 24, 2006, solo
NCL Dawn, December 2003, with a friend

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gsc

We went to GSC on Spirit last May. We went later in the day as well. We did not need tender tickets. The snorkeling was pretty good. I rented the gear for about $15.00 which was 1/2 price. They charged it to the room as a T-shirt. He said since it was late in the day he gave me a break. Who was I to argue. They had a meeting spot for a snorkeling tour, with 1 of the shore excursion staff. This was free. You did need to have a life vest, un-inflated off course. We went out beyond the rocks and around the to the tender lane. Your group has to have good swimmers or they won't do that. We had fun.

Enjoy

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gsc

We went to GSC on Spirit last May. We went later in the day as well. We did not need tender tickets. The snorkeling was pretty good. I rented the gear for about $15.00 which was 1/2 price. They charged it to the room as a T-shirt. He said since it was late in the day he gave me a break. Who was I to argue. They had a meeting spot for a snorkeling tour, with 1 of the shore excursion staff. This was free. You did need to have a life vest, un-inflated off course. We went out beyond the rocks and around the to the tender lane. Your group has to have good swimmers or they won't do that. We had fun.

Enjoy

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

ugh...............I don't know what's wrong with this dumb computer. I think I triple posted somehow. My computer freezes when I'm trying to send then posts my replies several times. Sorry!!
12/2006 NCL Jewel

Last edited by tray; February 15th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

edit--triple post gone!
12/2006 NCL Jewel

Last edited by tray; February 15th, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm probably the wrong one to ask because I really didn't like GSC, and wish they would skip it on their itinerary. If you like the crowds ala Coney Island on Labor Day.. then you'll like this place. Crowded is an understatement.

My only advice is to make sure you get the first tender out there to beat the crowds and stake out a chair and umbrella. Quick do your swimming, and then come back on the ship for lunch!

Maybe my experience was worse than others because I was on the Dawn which is a behemouth. It might not be as bad on the smaller ships.. I don't know.
NCL Crown (2x)
NCL Spirit
NCL Dawn
Regent Sun
Chandris Amerikanis
Windjammer Polynesia
Windjammer Flying Cloud
Tall Ships: STS Sir Winston Churchill
STS Prince William
STS Stavros
HMS Rose
Kruzenstern
Gazela of Philadelphia

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I assume NCL doesn't have any issue with you bringing and using your own snorkeling equipment, but what about floats? We have two smaller ones (like those below) I'd like to let our kids use if possible.

Chandris Fantasy Cruises (S.S. Britanis, Eastern Caribbean, 3/1987)
Celebrity (M.S. Zenith, Bermuda, 7/1997)
Carnival (M.S. Inspiration, Southern Caribbean, 12/1999 New Year's Eve "Millenium" cruise)
Disney (M.S. Magic, Eastern Caribbean, 3/2002)
Carnival (M.S. Miracle, Western Caribbean, 2/2005)
NCL (Norwegian Spirit, 2/2007)
Princess (Caribbean Princess, 8/2008)

Last edited by mikeythemars; February 15th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gsc

I never count on this stop until it really happens. Twice we have been disappointed as we get there and the Captain keeps going because the seas are high. Good luck - I hope that you make it.

Old February 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Gsc

Thanks for all the input, Everyone!

Assuming our ship actually makes the stop, it sounds like getting to the island early, walking to the lighthouse and then doing some snorkeling would be a good plan.

I think my dad will want to check out the massages. If anyone knows the price for the massage, I would appreciate it. I'm guessing it's cheaper than on the ship.

Old February 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was hesitating to post because my info is so old. Way back when GSC was first being used I was able to hire a sailboat - and promptly turned it over and had to tow it back in by hand!

Also did some snorkeling there. Rented an underwater camera and took some great pictures of clown fish and other tropical fish.

I did a little research for you and here's a review from Port Reviews. Can't completely confirm the information, though.

Quote:
The beach offers swimming, snorkeling, paddle boats, catamarans and rafts. You can circle the island in a kayak or sailboat. The ship’s calypso band provides the opportunity to practice your limbo techniques. Take a hike along one of the nature trails in search of the lighthouse. Play a game of volleyball, then search out one of the palm-shaded hammocks to relax. For those so inclined, the ship’s spa also sets up an area for beachside massages ($1 a minute).

Teri

NCL Jewel - a Hurricane, Halloween and Harry Potter Oct 28, 2012
NCL Spirit Jan 23, 2007
HAL Maasdam Mediterranean cruise 1996
Clipper ship Manitou on Lake Michigan 1993
NCL Starward - W. Caribbean, way back in 1986

Old February 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Do they have those swim noodles to rent or buy on the island?

If you get a chair and umbrella and go in swimming is someone going to steal your stuff and/or chair?

Old February 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gsc

If you miss this stop, the ship will just continue onto the next scheduled port. We sailed out of NYC, so when we missed GSC, it was a total of 4 days at sea - everyone was going NUTS!

Old February 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeythemars View Post
I assume NCL doesn't have any issue with you bringing and using your own snorkeling equipment, but what about floats? We have two smaller ones (like those below) I'd like to let our kids use if possible.

On the Jewel in April we brought our own floats very similar to what you showed a picture of and the kids were free to enjoy them. We still got roped in to renting the large one (think it was $20) so they could all go in at the same time!
Celebrity Summit 4/11/09
Norwegian Pearl 11/14/2010
Norwegian Epic 4/7/2012