Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Pacific Islands, All

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Which Is Prettier???

Since we will be stopping at Bora Bora and Moorea, I was just curious what most people feel is the prettier of the 2 islands. And which island has the more friendlier beaches? Which one to spend more time touring? Your knowledgeable input will help us plan our stops. Thanx so much.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
10,000+ Club

Beaches are not a big thing in FP, anywhere. Moorea has some nice beaches on the far side of the island (away from the bays). I have only seen them from a boat, and they seem to be inhabited mostly by surfers. Bora Bora has Matira, which is not much.

Bora Bora has the prettiest lagoon; Moorea has the prettiest mainland, by far.
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Last edited by Wendy The Wanderer; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will second what Wendy said. Try to tour Bora Bora from the water since the lagoon is so beautiful! Moorea is fun to drive around and there is a nice (for FP) beach past the Sofitel.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hard to say...

I think that's a very hard question to answer because both islands are quite beautiful. I guess that overall I think that Bora Bora might have a slight edge from the water and from the beaches near Matira and the lagoon. We stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora for a week and swam/snorkled on both sides of the point and it was absolutely gorgeous.

However, I do think that Moorea has more to offer as far as touring the island. On Bora Bora, the views as I said, are great from water, but there wasn't a great deal to see while touring around. I preferred to stay at the beach. We rented a car on Moorea. We were told by Avis that it would take one hour to circle the island. Eight hours later we returned the car and hadn't been bored for a minute. Lots to see and all great!

Enjoy!

murphysmum

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On the surface, both islands offer about the same: lush greenery, tropical splendor, warm water, everything that you think about when you think about a South Sea island.

What Bora Bora has is a commerical center so if shopping is important to you, then you'll want Bora Bora. It's the more touristy of the two as it's been in the limelight for much longer. It has tons of different tours, both sea and land. This is why, I think, Princess has started to overnight here - to give folks more of a chance to experience the island and all that it offers.

Moorea, on the other hand, has some great stuff, but no real towns, per se. It is primarily a bedroom community for Papeete - many of the locals 'commute' back and forth on the ferry. There is shopping and, of course, the Tiki Theater, which can be a fun experience. It also offers land and sea tours, but doesn't have quite as much variation.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both of the islands are beautiful and just about as close to paradise as I've been.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

You guys have been so wonderful with the information you have provided to me. I truly appreciate the personal opinions and believe we will truly enjoy the destination as you all did. Thank you again.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I loved Moorea. We spent 3 days pre-cruise at the Sheraton and it is my favourite island.

Bora Bora is beautiful too, but I think I prefered the quietness of Moorea. I also bought my pearls in Moorea too (maybe that's why its my favourite???)
Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia and Cook Islands April 2008
Celebrity Constellation - Panama Canal Dec 22/08
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic cruise - July 10, 2010
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - March 13, 2011
Celebrity Millennium - northbound Alaska - July 15, 2011
Celebrity Constellation - 14 day Caribbean - January 28, 2012
Celebrity Silhouette transatlantic - April 22, 2012
Celebrity Silhouette b2b Mediterranean/Greece May 5, 2012
Grand Princess 49 days around South America January 26, 2013
Celebrity Reflection- Eastern Mediterranean
October 21, 2013
Celebrity Reflection - Transatlantic
November 1, 2013
Ocean Princess - Hawaii to Papeete
January 29, 2014
Ocean Princess - French Polynesia
February 9, 2014

Future cruises:

[/url]

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsailing View Post
I loved Moorea. We spent 3 days pre-cruise at the Sheraton and it is my favourite island.

Bora Bora is beautiful too, but I think I prefered the quietness of Moorea. I also bought my pearls in Moorea too (maybe that's why its my favourite???)
Are they black pearls? That is my favorite!!!

Old September 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginagirl View Post
Are they black pearls? That is my favorite!!!

Yes and I have had so many compliments on them since I came home. They were worth every penny!!
Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia and Cook Islands April 2008
Celebrity Constellation - Panama Canal Dec 22/08
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic cruise - July 10, 2010
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - March 13, 2011
Celebrity Millennium - northbound Alaska - July 15, 2011
Celebrity Constellation - 14 day Caribbean - January 28, 2012
Celebrity Silhouette transatlantic - April 22, 2012
Celebrity Silhouette b2b Mediterranean/Greece May 5, 2012
Grand Princess 49 days around South America January 26, 2013
Celebrity Reflection- Eastern Mediterranean
October 21, 2013
Celebrity Reflection - Transatlantic
November 1, 2013
Ocean Princess - Hawaii to Papeete
January 29, 2014
Ocean Princess - French Polynesia
February 9, 2014

Future cruises:

[/url]

Old September 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wendy

Wendy is spot on. Totally agree with her observations. Also, Moorea has far more interesting things to see if you go up in the hills to the archeological sites, the views and various stop offs (like the Agricultural School and ice cream stand).

Beaches are very rocky and shallow with a good deal of rocks underfoot in the water. Forget imagining powdery white sand chic chic beaches in the Caribbean. These are volcanic islands good for snorkeling or scuba.

Old September 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristband View Post
Wendy is spot on. Totally agree with her observations. Also, Moorea has far more interesting things to see if you go up in the hills to the archeological sites, the views and various stop offs (like the Agricultural School and ice cream stand).

Beaches are very rocky and shallow with a good deal of rocks underfoot in the water. Forget imagining powdery white sand chic chic beaches in the Caribbean. These are volcanic islands good for snorkeling or scuba.
Well, friends, Tony & I went out today and purchased our first pair of beach shoes for our upcoming trip to the South Pacific. But I still can't get over the fact that the "powdery white sand" I've always seen in photos of Tahiti, etc., is nothing more than an illusion, hiding what lies beneath. To be honest, I have always loved the Caribbbean; and we have vacationed there tons of times; but I've always wished to go to Tahiti. And now, hearing the reality of the beach scene, just kind of took the bloom off the rose for me. Not to mention this cruise is costing about as much as 3 one-week vacations to the Caribbean.

Well, I am sure we will enjoy the cruise, we always do. But I guess a picture is not always worth a thousand words. At least, thanx to all you dear people, I will not be surprised - and will be able to frolic and splash somewhat with my new beach shoes on!!! But I'm telling you all, the minute I see anything that looks threatening, I will hightail it out of the water so fast. I am a true coward.

Old September 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

The only threatening thing you will see in the water will be of the two legged variety. The snorkeling is very good in Polynesia - fish, coral formations are great - even better than the Caribbean if that is your pleasure.

But you will need those water shoes - on land and in the water - to frolic and splash. Have a great time and don't be put off by the necessity of wearing the water shoes. Volcanoes, which created the reef system and beaches with volcanic rock, are the reason why Polynesia is so beautiful in the photographs and in person.

Old September 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wise words, wristband! To us, it's more important that we don't trash ourselves and enjoy our cruise pain free (or as pain free as you get at our age) than it is to go barefoot in the surf. Then and again, we grew up on Hawaiian beaches and there's always lava there, just lurking and waiting for you.

For my money, there isn't any place more beautiful in the world than French Polynesia, including the Caribbean, above or below the water!

Not All Who Wander Are Lost