Huatulco/Cabo S Lucas/Ensenada giving me a headache

fvandewouwer

Hi,

cruise Legend next month Panama Canal still looking for 3 ports for weeks now and after reading a lot I can use your help.

we love nature, see a town, stroll around, walk, hike, snorkel, love to walk on a beach, getting a tan no thanks we can enjoy nice views

we hate crowds ( yes already enough people on the ship ) party boats, fancy restaurants and bars, loud music no thanks shopping : fine no need of jewellery ( oh yes I am a woman ) or brand cloths

Huatulco : from 1pm till 8

has 9 lovely bays and a lot of beaches

hire a taxi when we arrive ? if yes where to and what to expect related to pricing ( anyone can give us an idea of taxi price please )

or can we just start walking

Cabo San Lucas from 7 till 6

would like to kayak to the Arch or walk to it but that seems according google maps impossible

again snorkelling seems too cold

or should we take a taxi boat to .....

if we could snorkel with sea lions wow that would be awesome (despite the cold ) anyone has input in our kayak experience ??

Ensenada from 12 till 7

ok there is a blow hole La BUfadora, flea market, fish tacos ... so I need to take a taxi anyone has done that and can give me an idea of price

it is just the 2 of us and we are not afraid of getting dirty or tiered

in case someone has a good idea about one of these ports

I thank you for your time to help me out and for sharing your ideas

have a wonderful day, from Belgium

Frie

anyone has an idea of price (

Hi,

cruise Legend next month Panama Canal still looking for 3 ports for weeks now and after reading a lot I can use your help.

we love nature, see a town, stroll around, walk, hike, snorkel, love to walk on a beach, getting a tan no thanks we can enjoy nice views

we hate crowds ( yes already enough people on the ship ) party boats, fancy restaurants and bars, loud music no thanks shopping : fine no need of jewellery ( oh yes I am a woman ) or brand cloths

Huatulco : from 1pm till 8

has 9 lovely bays and a lot of beaches

hire a taxi when we arrive ? if yes where to and what to expect related to pricing ( anyone can give us an idea of taxi price please )

or can we just start walking

Cabo San Lucas from 7 till 6

would like to kayak to the Arch or walk to it but that seems according google maps impossible

again snorkelling seems too cold

or should we take a taxi boat to .....

if we could snorkel with sea lions wow that would be awesome (despite the cold ) anyone has input in our kayak experience ??

Ensenada from 12 till 7

ok there is a blow hole La BUfadora, flea market, fish tacos ... so I need to take a taxi anyone has done that and can give me an idea of price

it is just the 2 of us and we are not afraid of getting dirty or tiered

in case someone has a good idea about one of these ports

I thank you for your time to help me out and for sharing your ideas

have a wonderful day, from Belgium

Frie

anyone has an idea of price (

Huatulco -- You can hire a taxi or a small boat. Either will cost around $20 per person. The taxi will take you to lookout points and the town. (Or wherever you want to go)

The small boat will take six or eight people and will go up and down the coast so you can see lots of scenery and beaches. The blowhole below the lighthouse is pretty neat. Some will even let you off to snorkel or swim and come back to get you. If you don't snorkel or swim, you may have time to do both the taxi and boat.

Cabo -- The glass bottom boat out to the arch is a nice ride and the price will be around $10 or less per person. If you want to go to Medano beach, they will drop you off there and you can walk or taxi back. You will see many vendors just off the dock with tours of all kinds for good (negotiable) prices.

Ensenada -- The bus ride to town from the pier is $3 per person(round trip), and on the way, they will offer a bus trip out to La Bufadora for about $15 per person. It is about a 30 minute ride each way and you will pass a lot of farmland and some desert type scenery plus a good look at the bay. I don't know what the taxis charge to take you out there.

As is true with most of Mexico, bargaining for price is a national sport, so don't hesitate to try to get a better price !!! Street vendors are easier to bargain with than the established tour sellers.

Edited by swedish weave

Swedish wave, thank you so much

I thought no one ever went on a cruise day to these ports (except some but they reviewed only some bars and restaurants )

ok it seems these ports do not need some planning ahead as there are enough vendors near the port

also I have a decent idea about the price for a taxi or bus that was also important

I wish you a wonderful day

from Belgium

Frie

Huatulco -- You can hire a taxi or a small boat. Either will cost around $20 per person. The taxi will take you to lookout points and the town. (Or wherever you want to go)

The small boat will take six or eight people and will go up and down the coast so you can see lots of scenery and beaches. The blowhole below the lighthouse is pretty neat. Some will even let you off to snorkel or swim and come back to get you. If you don't snorkel or swim, you may have time to do both the taxi and boat.

Cabo -- The glass bottom boat out to the arch is a nice ride and the price will be around $10 or less per person. If you want to go to Medano beach, they will drop you off there and you can walk or taxi back. You will see many vendors just off the dock with tours of all kinds for good (negotiable) prices.

Ensenada -- The bus ride to town from the pier is $3 per person(round trip), and on the way, they will offer a bus trip out to La Bufadora for about $15 per person. It is about a 30 minute ride each way and you will pass a lot of farmland and some desert type scenery plus a good look at the bay. I don't know what the taxis charge to take you out there.

As is true with most of Mexico, bargaining for price is a national sport, so don't hesitate to try to get a better price !!! Street vendors are easier to bargain with than the established tour sellers.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right - in Cabo you cannot walk to the arches. Only way to see it is by watercraft.You will be bombarded when you get off the tender by MANY water taxis etc. I would walk a little past the first "pushy" vendors. They were more laid back when you got past the main group - for water taxis. They will take you from Marina to the Arches then to Medano beach or just back to the Marina. Keep in mind if getting offthe water taxi by Medano beach is just that a beach - with waves - not a dock. You will get a little wet. I would then walk behind all the hotels off the beach and take a taxi back - or walk.

we booked a kayak trip to the Arches, seems not bad and up close to the sea lions, snorkelling will be too cold for us that is a pity

during the afternoon we would love to walk to Medano beach and back depends on the time we have

thanks for the feedback

You're right - in Cabo you cannot walk to the arches. Only way to see it is by watercraft.You will be bombarded when you get off the tender by MANY water taxis etc. I would walk a little past the first "pushy" vendors. They were more laid back when you got past the main group - for water taxis. They will take you from Marina to the Arches then to Medano beach or just back to the Marina. Keep in mind if getting offthe water taxi by Medano beach is just that a beach - with waves - not a dock. You will get a little wet. I would then walk behind all the hotels off the beach and take a taxi back - or walk.

Just back from Ensenada.

The shuttle is US$2 into town, US$1 back to ship. Pay when you board.

For comparison..if you walk into town they charge $20 for the Bufadora tour, so there is a bit of savings.

The tourist area is very close to the port. About a 10 minute walk.

Ensenada is doing major construction along the Malecon and the Highway. They started in November and probably won't be done too quickly.

Edited by SadieN

thanks for your feedback

so we can easily walk into town check out and take there a bus ( is that a local bus ?? ) to Bufadora ???

and then charge would be 20 ?? ( I have read that it would be 15 )

so confusing all those different prices :D

did you go to Huatulco and Cabo San Lucas to ?

I really hope you had a wonderful cruise

thanks

Just back from Ensenada.

The shuttle is US$2 into town, US$1 back to ship. Pay when you board.

For comparison..if you walk into town they charge $20 for the Bufadora tour, so there is a bit of savings.

The tourist area is very close to the port. About a 10 minute walk.

Ensenada is doing major construction along the Malecon and the Highway. They started in November and probably won't be done too quickly.

Ensenada--

Can walk into town in about 10-15 minutes. Out of port walk across the bridge. At the light cross the highway, go up the hill, turn left at the first street (Ave Primera/Ave Lopez)

You can grab a tour from the tourist info booth in town. Take the shuttle into town for $2 then pay for the tour at the discounted rate of $15. Otherwise the tour is $20. Savings of $3 pp. All prices in US

Good taco place, Taquiera Lindo, between Papas and Beer and Hussong's.

Cabo---

Take a tour to the Arch. Lots of info on this board. We like Taco Loco in the same shopping center as Cabo Wabo

Haven't been to Huatulco. If there is a tourist info booth ask where they eat. We found a great place in La Paz this way.

Edited by SadieN

Sadien thank you for the walk into town information as we do love to walk

this is just what we needed

have a wonderful day ( evening ? )

Frie

Ensenada--

Can walk into town in about 10-15 minutes. Out of port walk across the bridge. At the light cross the highway, go up the hill, turn left at the first street (Ave Primera/Ave Lopez)

You can grab a tour from the tourist info booth in town. Take the shuttle into town for $2 then pay for the tour at the discounted rate of $15. Otherwise the tour is $20. Savings of $3 pp. All prices in US

Good taco place, Taquiera Lindo, between Papas and Beer and Hussong's.

Cabo---

Take a tour to the Arch. Lots of info on this board. We like Taco Loco in the same shopping center as Cabo Wabo

Haven't been to Huatulco. If there is a tourist info booth ask where they eat. We found a great place in La Paz this way.

Huatulco is a great port for spending the day at the beach. There is a decent one right at the pier. If you like to snorkel, the best place is Playa la Entrega--it is the beach you can see off to the left (north) as you come into the bay. You can take a cab for $5 (per cab) or a boat for around $5 or so pp (I think). have the usual eating places, snorkel rental, etc.