Air Credit on B2B

sea slug h

We are doing a Caribbean cruise on Riviera March 18-28, (Miami-Miami), then a transatlantic on Riviera March 28-April 11 (Miami to Barcelona). We received a slight price reduction for the back-to-back, prorated between the 2 cruises. We also received a $225 pp credit because we don't need air to Miami for the second cruise.

We are planning to do our own air back from Barcelona. Our travel agent is telling us that the additional air credit for the transatlantic flight home will be only $225 pp, for a total air credit of $450 for both flights. This seems pretty low to me. Maybe I was just assuming air credits were higher because I have read of many people taking the air credit and doing their own air.

Does $225 pp, or even $450 pp, air credit seem reasonable for a flight from Barcelona to Atlanta?

Linda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Confused

Do you need any airfare from Oceania?

Just take the air credit for both cruises & book your own

It seems low to me

Last year we got $400 pp per cruise but both were r/t Miami

Thanks to all 3 responders!

LHT, in response to your question, no we don't need any air from Oceania. For the first cruise, they have given us $400 air credit (r/t Miami, same as you got). For the second leg of the B2B, they have given us $225 air credit "because the air into Miami was declined" (per our travel agent). Of course we do not need the air into Miami since we will have just returned to Miami that morning on the first leg -- Miami-Miami cruise.

Now Oceania is offering an additional $225 as an air credit from Barcelona to Atlanta. This is what sounds really low to me!

Thanks, Linda

I agree the second leg sounds low

Maybe ask on your roll call for the 2nd leg to see what air credit others received for the full credit not just half

I took the advice of those on you here and on my roll call and asked our TA to do a dummy booking on only the transatlantic leg of our b2b. Sure enough, the air credit is only $225 for the flight from Barcelona to Atlanta!

Earlier, we had planned to use Oceania's air on this transatlantic flight. We had signed up for the $149 premium economy promotion. However, Oceania refused to add the additional flight from the US gateway to our home city, even if we were happy to do that in economy. We would have had to purchase a separate ticket to our home city, arrive in the gateway city, go thru customs and immigration, exit the secured area, claim our luggage (4 checked bags, 3 carryons,and 1 purse), get from the international terminal to the domestic terminal, check in for the new flight, and go thru security again to our gate. I don't think this would have been easy as I have to use a walker for long distances!

We love Oceania but not their air department!

Thanks to all for your responses!

Linda

exit the secured area, claim our luggage (4 checked bags, 3 carryons,and 1 purse)

How many people are travelling ??

Four bags for 2 people??

Sometime Oceania air works sometimes it does not that is why you need to check both options

JMO

I took the advice of those on you here and on my roll call and asked our TA to do a dummy booking on only the transatlantic leg of our b2b. Sure enough, the air credit is only $225 for the flight from Barcelona to Atlanta!

Earlier, we had planned to use Oceania's air on this transatlantic flight. We had signed up for the $149 premium economy promotion. However, Oceania refused to add the additional flight from the US gateway to our home city, even if we were happy to do that in economy. We would have had to purchase a separate ticket to our home city, arrive in the gateway city, go thru customs and immigration, exit the secured area, claim our luggage (4 checked bags, 3 carryons,and 1 purse), get from the international terminal to the domestic terminal, check in for the new flight, and go thru security again to our gate. I don't think this would have been easy as I have to use a walker for long distances!

We love Oceania but not their air department!

Thanks to all for your responses!

Linda

Linda, certainly sympathize with your situation however unless you can fly back from Europe directly to your home airport, you will have to do some but, not all of what you described while connecting in the US.

You do have to go thru Immigration and Customs at the first arrival point in the US whether at a connecting airport or your hometown airport. If your home airport, you leave the customs area and head toward your transportation of pick up location. If a connecting airport, upon leaving customs you will find a place where you put your baggage on the checkinbelt and go on. Make sure you check your bags to the final destination when you first checkin. You can get your boarding pass before you depart your last city. You do have to go thru security again but, again that is the same as if you buy a new ticket yourself. And sometimes your connection is in the same terminal depending on your connecting airport.

So, it is almost the same if Oceania buys your ticket and you buy a single ticket to your home airport unless you an fly non stop to your home airport. Good luck wiht whatever you choose. Sure flying with a walker isn't any fun no matter what.

sounds low. I price with/without air on all cruises. If there isn't much savings I prefer to book the air myself. I can pick flights that fit my preferences. On my most recent cruise on O, air credit was $1000 pp. I booked my own air for less than that. If unsure, call O and ask.

I agree, it is much too low. Guess it depends where you are going. I just had my Travel Agent contact their travel dept for a deduction from PHX/MIA on their Dec 12th Trip to the Carb. On the Riviera and they returned 350.00 to my credit. For two of us. As I will do my own Air w/FFM. I know the cost for two is about 150.00 more than their refund, but still, it gives us the flexibility of arriving when we want and well rested before the Cruise.

I agree, it is much too low. Guess it depends where you are going. I just had my Travel Agent contact their travel dept for a deduction from PHX/MIA on their Dec 12th Trip to the Carb. On the Riviera and they returned 350.00 to my credit. For two of us. As I will do my own Air w/FFM. I know the cost for two is about 150.00 more than their refund, but still, it gives us the flexibility of arriving when we want and well rested before the Cruise.
Ac

Actually it depends on where you live. Have to remember the price for the cruise that includes air is the same no matter where in the US you are departing from so is most likely based on a midpoint starting point in the US. So, if you live on the east coast and are going to say Europe, the credit will be closer to the air fare you can buy yourself while those on the west coast going to Europe will have to pay more as their flights are more expensive bought on their own.

By including a single cost for the flights in the fare, sometimes Oceania might lose money on that portion of the fare and other times make more. It's probably all about the average cost they pay for all of their flights and not the specific cost for your flight.

Your example shows it will cost you more to fly on your own but, for someone in the Southeast they might have money left over after taking the credit and those in South Florida who can drive to the port will keep all of the credit less car costs. It's certainly not as simple as looking at your air fare to see what the credit will be..

On transatlantics, typically we use their air plus deviation and it works out well, less expensive than two one way tickets. The air deviation allows you to pick a different day and the flights you want to plan for better connections and maybe extra sight seeing.