Princess Cays

moonlitmagik

Hey Yall! Hubby and I are booked on the Carnival Ecstasy this august to freeport and princess cays. I want to know, from those who've been and are more experienced than myself - i really dont feel like paying for an excursion at princess cays if at all avoidable. Is it free to just plop on a beach chair and watch the waves?? Im much more agreeable to that, maybe buy a drink or two (not big drinkers) and just....chill for the day.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

Hey Yall! Hubby and I are booked on the Carnival Ecstasy this august to freeport and princess cays. I want to know, from those who've been and are more experienced than myself - i really dont feel like paying for an excursion at princess cays if at all avoidable. Is it free to just plop on a beach chair and watch the waves?? Im much more agreeable to that, maybe buy a drink or two (not big drinkers) and just....chill for the day.

yes to the questions. I would suggest that you at least rent a clamshell for shade. the beach gets very hot in the sun.

Oh i absolutely want something to prevent us from turning into bacon, LOL. How much are the clamshells?

I think about $30 to 35 for the day. Pre order because there aren't many available as a walk up. You can also purchase onboard as well from the excursions department.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are two drew backs with the clamshell

- they would get very hot as there is no where for the hot air to escape the clam

- they are poorly located, much better bathing areas on other parts of the beach

if you leave the ship early you can get a beach chair under the many trees, located in better bathing areas

• 2 months later...

When you get off the tender, the beaches are right there...it's pretty much all beach! The 1st "beach area" you come to will be the most crowded, so walk past it, and you will fine less jam=packed areas! You don't need to pay for shade...pull a lounger under some trees! You can move them about!

• 4 weeks later...
I too would love to hear how the snorkeling is. Another post I read said there is virtually none, but I'm hoping that poster just didn't happen to see any. Really want to snorkel!
We saw allot of fish, star fish and such at the location on the map below:

https://cruisingmartinistyle.shutterfly.com/pictures/45

There are some fish all over in the water but the designated location is really nice!

We saw allot of fish, star fish and such at the location on the map below:

https://cruisingmartinistyle.shutterfly.com/pictures/45

There are some fish all over in the water but the designated location is really nice!

That map is HMC, not Princess Cays.

Moonlit, yes, you can rental snorkel gear, kayaks, floats, etc. I asked earlier whether anyone had a price list for rentals and there's been no response. I believe I also asked in the "big" comprehensive thread on this port but no response in that one, either.

Guess we'll just have to wait 3 more weeks and find out what the rental fees are.

NcTribe: I bought from amazon, a Phantom Aquatics brand mask/snorkel set for $25, but if you don't care what color your snorkel set is (I did... everything I own is PINK), swim outlet dot com has the intex reef rider mask and snorkel set for... $9.99!!!!!!

If you have a Target in your area and your cruise is this fall, be on the lookout for the Spedo brand snorkel set to be put on clearance. We got our gear there a few years ago for about $15-20 each. Or check Target.com, if you have the TargetRed card it's free shipping.