Princess has informed me I could be denied boarding

surrocruiser

I have been so overwhelmed with the supportiveness of those on these boards, I am back with a concern.

I am booked on the Crown Princess for November. I booked an accessible cabin mostly for the bathroom/shower handles as on land I have been having many issues with balance and falling in the shower. I have Lupus and fibromyalgia so fatigue and joint pain is usually quite extensive. I had booked thinking if walking was really bad in the week or two leading up to the trip, I would book a scooter for the trip. When speaking with the Princess rep, I was told if I didn't have the scooter with me at the time of boarding I could be denied boarding. I was informed that they do not offer accessibility unless it is someone with a wheelchair or scooter (no cane/crutches etc). I am not very comfortable using one and would really rather just allow plenty of extra time so I can walk slowly.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. I am by no means booking this bc it's a whim or I want more cabin space. My last cruise, I fell twice in the shower. The shower is the main reason I need the cabin but I am having a panic attack that they will not allow me to board. Any advice?

I have not been on the Crown Princess, but I have been on 15 cruises on various cruise lines and all have had some sort of grab bar in the shower. Probably to assist if the sailing got rocky. Also, I do believe you can request a shower chair even for the non-wheelchair accessible cabins.

Lesa

Having a DW with MS I am very sensitive about people who book or try to book accessible cabins without actually needing them. The conditions that you describe would lead me to believe that you should have the accessible cabin. I doubt very much that you will be denied boarding but just in case I would be inclined to have a letter from your doctor advising that in his opinion you require the facilities of an accessible cabin.

I have been so overwhelmed with the supportiveness of those on these boards, I am back with a concern.

I am booked on the Crown Princess for November. I booked an accessible cabin mostly for the bathroom/shower handles as on land I have been having many issues with balance and falling in the shower. I have Lupus and fibromyalgia so fatigue and joint pain is usually quite extensive. I had booked thinking if walking was really bad in the week or two leading up to the trip, I would book a scooter for the trip. When speaking with the Princess rep, I was told if I didn't have the scooter with me at the time of boarding I could be denied boarding. I was informed that they do not offer accessibility unless it is someone with a wheelchair or scooter (no cane/crutches etc). I am not very comfortable using one and would really rather just allow plenty of extra time so I can walk slowly.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. I am by no means booking this bc it's a whim or I want more cabin space. My last cruise, I fell twice in the shower. The shower is the main reason I need the cabin but I am having a panic attack that they will not allow me to board. Any advice?

Are you referring to the cruise on the Crown Princess posted in your signature ? If so than that cruise leaves from a USA Port in which the following USA Federal Law applies and Princess cannot deny you boarding nor can they deny you booking an accessible cabin even without having a scooter or a wheelchair rather you have to have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the need for the features provided in an accessible cabin.

It appears to me that you probably did not speak directly to the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521 and that you just spoke to a Princess Representative that is not knowledgeable of the law.

As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin
. Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011, the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply with these new regulations. The key points to this new law are as follows:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Being that the affects of your Lupis results in balance and fall issues that require the need for a zero threshold bathroom entry, zero threshold shower entry, shower seat and grab bars located in the shower and toilet area you meet the criteria of having a mobility disability that requires the use of the accessible features provided in such a cabin under the Federal Law. Under the law you are not required to have a scooter or a wheelchair to book an accessible cabin.

If it were me I would do the following :

• Call the Princess Access Department and advise them of this Federal Law and that you meet the medical disability criteria under the Federal Law in order to book an accessible cabin since the ship is leaving from a USA Port. You do not have to tell Princess that you have Lupis but you should tell them that you have a mobility disability that requires the need for a zero threshold bathroom entry, zero threshold shower entry, shower seat and grab bars located in the shower and toilet area and as such you meet the criteria of having a mobility disability under the USA Federal Law that requires the use of the accessible features provided in such a cabin under the Federal Law. It's recommended not disclose the fact that you have fall issues.
  • cut and paste the information regarding the law and take that with you to have on the ready if there are any issues at time of boarding,.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Attn: Surrocruiser

In reviewing my previous post which was # 4 of this thread I inadvertently omitted that the Federal Law that became effective January 1, 2012 for ships embarking from a USA Port came about as a result of The United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise

OP,

It sounds as though you do need the accessible cabin. They are called accessible, not wheelchair cabins. You will not be denied boarding just because you don't have a wheelchair as long as you can state in writing that you need the accessible features.

First, contact the access office via the number given previously.

Next, make sure you request wheelchair embarkation and disembarkation, so that you do not have the long walk on and off the ship. You can request it from the access department.

Third, consider booking the scooter now, in case you need it. It is easier to have and not need than to need and not have. You don't know how things will be between now and sail date, and we would hate for you to be feeling fine in the days leading up to the cruise, get on board, and halfway through, realize you really need the scooter.

Then, book your excursions and enjoy the cruise!

OP

I too have fibromyalgia and arthritis and I have trouble walking long distances and standing for any amount of time For the first time I requested a shower stool during our last cruise. If this is the only reason you are booking the accessible cabin, you should be able to handle a regular cabin with a shower stool.

Whoever you talked with is misinformed. Get the letter from your dr, and just have it with you. I do suggest that you rent the scooter. You will enjoy your cruise so much more. And remember something else, falls happen in the cabins too, not just in the washrooms. Have a great cruise.

I've been told by my Australian Travel Agent that needing to use a wheeled walking frame is adequate verification of need for a Disabled Accessible Cabin. I also have grab rails in the home shower and by the loo (sorry if TMI) and do not easily manage steps on the walker.

When I go in to book and pay my deposit, she will ring Princess Cruises while I am there, so any questions can be dealt with ASAP.

I do hope you get to cruise, I'm eagerly counting down the days until I embark on the Golden Princess sailing the 1st 2 days of her 30 day Melbourne, Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific cruise.

Crochetcruise :cool:

So you have several options... Yes they can put a shower chair in for you and they can add a potty rail for you... that being said, I must tell you that Princess has a lot of new people...and they dont really all know what is going on. Dont worry about having a scooter to get on board... I would however request that they provide a wheel chair to get you onto and off of the ship... its a long line and its much easier if you are having issues..

They will not stop you from boarding the ship. My mother is handicapped At first it was because of her macular degeneration (legally blind and very low vision) and her age. We did not use a wheel chair for the first 2 cruises, but I did insist that Princess provide one for embarkation.

There were a couple of suggestions which should give you your own piece of mind.

1. Call the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521. Dont be a jerk and start quoting the laws... they already know them and will be much more helpful if you are sincere in your request for doing the right thing.

2. If it makes you feel more protected (and the access department can ask for this) get a letter of proof from your Doctor. You may need to send it to them just for verification. These cabins do not require that you are wheel chair bound, but that the equipment Princess can supply you for a regular cabin does not meet your needs.

This Process has all come about because people think they should have a larger handicapped cabin when they dont need it.. When Mom is not with me I never ask for a handicapped cabin. The one time that she cancelled to travel with me and a friend went in her place I called Princess and had them change my room.. I know how hard it is to get these cabins and get pretty pissed when I see someone in one that does not need it..

Relax... your going to have a great time. You are doing the right thing...

Usually the locker room in the spa area has a large accessible shower with bench seat.

It galls me that people use accessible cabins just to have more space.

An ex-friend does this regularly by asking the travel agent to keep an eye on those bookings.

The 2012 law posted above is good news. I understand Princess monitoring the disabilities but believe the OP should have access to equipment and the cabin.

Will a plastic deck chair fit in the shower stall?

Claire

Edited by ClairetoCruise

Usually the locker room in the spa area has a large accessible shower with bench seat.

It galls me that people use accessible cabins just to have more space.

An ex-friend does this regularly by asking the travel agent to keep an eye on those bookings.

The 2012 law posted above is good news. I understand Princess monitoring the disabilities but believe the OP should have access to equipment and the cabin.

Will a plastic deck chair fit in the shower stall?

Claire

A person who needs a shower chair shouldn't be forced to go to the spa to shower.

If the need is there, Princess would be in violation of the law to deny the booking based on their arbitrary criteria. People need handicap rooms for many reasons. My mother has balance issues and can only lift her foot a few inches. She can't use a tub, and would need a handicapped room to not have to step up into the bathroom. Princess would have no legal ground to deny this access just because she doesn't require a mobility aid.

A deck chair is not going to fit into the typical cruise shower, and a cruise passenger shouldn't have to drag a chair in in order to shower when there are cabins with built in shower chairs available to those who need them.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to disappear, I have been so busy I haven't been able to come back and check responses. I am beyond overwhelmed with appreciation at all the responses and information. I will be calling the number tomorrow and asking if they would like the letter from my doctor (I already have it, she sent it with me when I saw her before my Disney cruise when she first recommended the accessible cabin would help with some issues)

What some of these silly people at the cruise lines need to know is that not all problems are visible, yet still constitute a disability. When you call you need to point that fact out to them. You see a person park in a handicap stall and when you look at them you don't see any kind of physical problem, but they may have lung or heart issues or arthritis or even lupus, which you may not readily see. Cruise lines need to educate themselves that not all disabilities require an "appliance" for their disability.