NCL Star Accessibility

Eytbol8

Hi All. We will be cruising NCL Star 7-day Mexico Riviera in late March. There will be a group of 11 of us. My husband is confined to a wheelchair, paraplegic with no ability to stand or walk. We are booked in the Family Suite on the 12th deck (12532 or 12032) and the rest of the family in 2-bedroom suites on the 11th deck. A few questions for any who have been in wheelchairs on the NCL Star. I will make a call to the special needs desk as well but wanted to hear from our experienced friends here first ;)

1) Are there are decks not accessible by elevator and/or wheelchair

2) Are the any areas not accessible for wheelchairs

3) Any feedback on NCL and the Star would be greatly appreciated

4) Any feedback on the suites and or those cabins 12532 or 12032

Thank you so much!

Cabo San Lucas is a Tender Port. Therefore you need to be advised that it's highly unlikely that your husband will not be allowed to board the tender. Following information is copied directly from NCL's website and here's the link to check it out yourself http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising#guestmob

Ship Transfers and Shore Excursions Facilities

Ship Transfers & Tenders

Guests must be aware that certain vessel transfers, such as tendering and gangways, may not be fully accessible to wheelchairs or scooters at the time that they desire or that they cannot go ashore at all. When a ship is unable to dock, guests are taken ashore on smaller boats called tenders. Some guests with limited mobility may find it difficult to embark or disembark the ship at certain times while at dock or while tendering.
Note: scooters and wheelchairs and/or guests that weigh 100lbs or more are not allowed to be transferred from the ship to tender and/or from tender to shore.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Star Monday. I think you will find that it rather easy to get around. Most the doorways were accessible. My traveling companion's scooter has a lower clearance, thus she did get hung up going through a coupe random exterior doors.

If you plan on going to Versailles Main Dining Room, you should go to Guest Relations (Customer Service) and ask them to code your key card for the elevator. Only one of the elevators goes to down to it. Also, while at Guest Relations, if they have not already given you the list of accessible points, including restrooms, just ask for it.

Other than the Barong Fitness Center (Deck 12 aft), I am not aware of any decks or other areas that are not accessible. However one has to find the accessible route a couple places. Like the one aft evelator that goes to the dining room. There is a key-card slot for the appropriate elevator aft that goes to Deck 6 or Deck 13.

We did not see your particular cabin, however we did visit 12012. It is not an “accessible” cabin, regardless there was adequate comfortable space for both our scooters.

The port of Cabo San Lucas does have a “roll-on” tender. Unfortunately, NCL does not use it. They did tell me if I could walk down the steps and my scooter met the 100# requirement, they would assist getting me on and off their standard tender.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways