It's Official - Horizon To Leave Celebrity Fleet

Andy

Hi Everyone !

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news.... all the rumors on this one are now true. Horizon is leaving the Celebrity Fleet in October of 2005, to go to Island Cruises.

No other news regarding any replacements yet. Let's hope we will hear something soon.

Here is the Link :

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=rcl&script=410&layout=9&item_id=654272

Regards,

Andy

Interesting that they are doing the refurbishment that would make her more competitive in Celebrity's fleet, only to send her away. Hmmm, wonder what will happen to Zenith.....

Hi Hilary !

It certainly makes you wonder why they would sell 1 ship, and not her sister ship. I would have to think news on Zenith is probably not far behind. If not right now, it would appear her future with Celebrity is limited.

Regards,

Andy

Dam.

I wonder what they will use to replace her on the Bermuda runs.

Hello !

That seems to be the $ 64,000 question... that everyone seems to wonder about. It would be great if Celebrity mentioned something about that. Inquiring minds want to know :) . Hopefully, they will let us in on more of their plans sometime soon.

Regards,

Andy

That's sad. :( Horizon is so cozy. I'm glad I get one more run on her before she leaves!

Hi Ivylane !

Yes it is sad, but as you said, it is great that you are going on her 1 more time before she leaves the X Fleet.

Please let us know about your sailing, when you return. Enjoy your Cruise !

Regards,

Andy

One point that is not being mentioned is she is not being sold. Island Cruises is co-owned by RCI and First Choice Holidays. So she is only being transferred.

I wouldn't want to sail on her after her dry dock. Where are they going to find room for 2 restaurants and 59 more cabins. Or how small will those cabins be?

I'm sure X has a plan for Bermuda. After all RCCL is using the Voyager and Granduer for 5 day cruises to Bermuda this coming season. I'd say they are both a little larger that the Horizon.

Danno,

Isalnd Cruises currently has the Island Escape, formerly the Viking Serenade. They are a club cruise line aiming at a more relaxed atmosphere. Their target audience is the British market.

One point that is not being mentioned is she is not being sold. Island Cruises is co-owned by RCI and First Choice Holidays. So she is only being transferred.

I wouldn't want to sail on her after her dry dock. Where are they going to find room for 2 restaurants and 59 more cabins. Or how small will those cabins be?

I'm sure X has a plan for Bermuda. After all RCCL is using the Voyager and Granduer for 5 day cruises to Bermuda this coming season. I'd say they are both a little larger that the Horizon.

Hi Rick !

All good comments. I also have to wonder where their plans are, with all those additions to Horizon. Unless, they plan to add a section to her like they are doing with Enchantment ? I am sure more details will follow soon.

As I said in an earlier post, I am very curious to hear what X will do with their Bermuda season. Yes, it is true that RCI will be represented there, but it THAT the plan ? To have RCI mainly there.... instead of Celebrity ?

With their fleet already stretched thin, it is hard to presume what their plans are for Bermuda, but let's hope they do have a plan, and we will hear about it soon !

Regards,

Andy

Andy:

I saw posted somewhere and do not know the truth of this story that there are major changes in store in Bermuda which would negate Celebrity having either ship for Bermuda. I can't find it right now but someone posted that Bermduda is closing the spots in Hamilton and dredging somewhere else to allow bigger ships closer into the main areas instead of just the dockyards. I think this would be a big mistake on the part of Bermuda Govt. since part of the charm of Bermuda is walking off the ship and into Hamilton. Also would bring into play what happens to St. George which also has limited capacity due to the cut.

Don

Interesting that they are doing the refurbishment that would make her more competitive in Celebrity's fleet, only to send her away. Hmmm, wonder what will happen to Zenith.....

Now we know what the test balcony was created for. What a shame, you are exactly right but from my previous post there may be more to this than meets the eye, like both slots in Bermuda may be gone.

Don

Here is the full press release with some added info.

Updated: 02:01 AM EST

Celebrity Cruises' Horizon Moves to Island Cruises Fleet

MIAMI, Dec. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises' Horizon will move to the Island Cruises fleet in October 2005 under a six-year lease agreement arrangement with the British-based cruise line.

Island Cruises, created in May 2000, is the brand name of Sunshine Cruises Limited, a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and First Choice Holidays PLC, one of the United Kingdom's largest integrated tour operators.

"Island Cruises has performed well in its first three years," said Jack Williams, president and chief operating officer of Celebrity Cruises. "By adding a ship, Island Cruises can continue to grow its brand and overall presence in Europe and South America. Horizon has served our Celebrity Cruises guests very well during the past 14 years and will continue to do so for the guests of Island Cruises."

Since its first sailing in spring 2002, Island Cruises has attracted a high number of first-time cruisers with its casual ambiance. The cruise line offers informal, flexible and affordable cruise vacations with open-seating dining and a relaxed dress code. It currently offers two transatlantic, six Brazilian and three Mediterranean itineraries on the 1,740-guest Island Escape. The line also offers combination cruise/hotel packages with 20 resort hotels in Majorca, Sao Paolo and Rio De Janeiro, as well as air/sea packages originating from 16 regional airports. Island Escape previously sailed as Royal Caribbean International's Viking Serenade.

"We couldn't be happier about the expansion of our fleet, especially with such a wonderful ship," said Michael Bayley, managing director of Island Cruises. "We look forward to growing our cruise line and providing our guests with even more alternatives for their cruise vacations."

Horizon will complete its current winter sailings to the Caribbean from the Port of Tampa and its summer 2005 Bermuda sailings from the Port of Philadelphia. The ship will be turned over to Island Cruises in late October. It will then enter drydock in Freeport, Bahamas, where it will undergo extensive refurbishment, including the addition of two restaurants, 59 staterooms and 50 balconies.

The ship will enter service for Island Cruises in December in Brazil under a new name. The ship will sail from Brazil during winters and in the Mediterranean during summers.

Horizon joined the Celebrity Cruises fleet in May 1990 and was built by Jos. L. Myer GmbH & Co. of Papenburg, Germany. It was refurbished in October 1998. The 47,000 gross-registered-ton ship carries 1,700 guests and 642 crew members. Celebrity Cruises currently operates the ship primarily in Bermuda in summers and in the Caribbean in winters.

[

Since its first sailing in spring 2002, Island Cruises has attracted a high number of first-time cruisers with its casual ambiance. The cruise line offers informal, flexible and affordable cruise vacations with open-seating dining and a relaxed dress code.

translation: BOOZE CRUISE:)

Hi Everyone !

Does anyone wonder what will happen with all the ship's Crew and Officers ? Moved to Island ? Assigned elsewhere in Celebrity ? If no other X ship is on the Horizon (pardon the pun) will they be worried about losing their jobs ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Regards,

Andy

Maybe some will go with the ship to Island cruises. Probably enough jobs in the service industries for most to find employment. The rest, who knows, may have to wait and see how this whole thing plays out.

Don

Hi Don !

Makes sense, but dont you hope (like I do) that this is just the opening move of at least 1 or more moves to come ?

I am still very hopeful that we will hear of some new ships from X soon. If this happens, there would be plenty of room for everyone from Horizon.

Stay Tuned....

Regards,

Andy

An dy:

I believe this is the opening move and am concerned about the direction being taken. I would love to see a ship with veranda's going to Bermuda, I would go every year if my wife wished but I don't think things are moving that way. The next few months will be interesting. I did some research on a Bermuda newspaper and there are probably major changes coming there in the next few years, they are debating plans. Appears there will be some type of mall very similiar to that in St. Thomas at wherever the new cruise ship docks are going to be. Everything is really up in the air and Celebrity and other cruise lines probaly have to wait to see what Bermuda does.

Don

Call me old fashioned, but having been on Horizon, Mercury, and Millenium, I actually prefer Horizon. We went to Bermuda on her last year, and we're sailing on the 10 day Western Caribbean trip this coming February. I like it cozy with fewer passengers. I also don't miss having a balcony. I enjoy finding a good spot on deck either at the back of deck 10 or near the pool to read. I don't mind having the less spectacular dining room and no dramatic atrium area. I think that with fewer passengers there's more attention to detail whether it be service or food. I definitely enjoyed my cruises on Mercury and Millenium (loved the spa cafe and associated warm pool there) but there will always be a part of me that wishes there will still be some smaller ships for cruising with an emphasis on interesting itineraries.

Archived