The mass of people

Star1

We were at port with Carnival Magic and Carnival Glory. Both ships were there the same time for the day. What a mess. When you get to the beach area the chairs are free. The clam shells are also free. The chairs under the palm trees get some shade so no umbrella is needed. The other rows of chairs are in the hot sun. Vendors were selling umbrella for $50 to rent. Remember the chairs are free!!!!! I understand the price changes by how the vendor felt like charging you. He might charge you $50 but the next person sitting next to you $30. The vendors were fighting among themselves on who's area it was to do business. A few vendors got in a fist fight. The security guard watched because he did not want to get hit. The beach was so packed with umbrellas that you could not walk to get to your chair.

This was a great beach to enjoy for the day......not anymore when two large ships are in port. Stay on the ship. Enjoy the ship when everyone is in port.

Relax and enjoy life!

Granted, when we were there in June, we were the only ship. Even so, the beach was packed. But we chose to go to the other side of the dock. As you're walking down the dock off the ship towards shore, we went to the smaller area on the right side of the dock. There are far fewer beach chairs and less than 10 people hanging out on that side when we were there. We just wanted to do a little snorkeling and it was perfect.

I checked the schedule for ships in Port with us as soon as I booked. Knowing that the Conquest will be arriving in GT before us, the plan was to definitely book a poolside cabana. And we did. As we overlap by 3 hours, which is about half the time in Port, that cabana will be worth the money. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this situation often happens when multiple ships stop at ports where there isn't a whole heckuva lot else to do but hang on the beach and the beach is right there. For the life of me I don't understand why cruisers balk at paying $7 for a taxi ride to less crowded beaches or areas with better food and good service. But Jimmy and the Cruise Lines have roped most of them in.

But Jimmy and the Cruise Lines have roped most of them in.

To each their own, I know, but I personally find it a little odd that so many people flock to Margaritaville. They arrive at a tropical island with a gorgeous beach and crystal clear water, then go sit around a pool at a bar. :confused:

To each their own, I know, but I personally find it a little odd that so many people flock to Margaritaville. They arrive at a tropical island with a gorgeous beach and crystal clear water, then go sit around a pool at a bar. :confused:

Not only that, they go to a theme restaurant that has a zillion locations in the U.S. to begin with. No need to leave the country to get margaritas and mediocre food.

Not only that, they go to a theme restaurant that has a zillion locations in the U.S. to begin with. No need to leave the country to get margaritas and mediocre food.

When you pay for my cruise, I'll happily follow you around.

Otherwise, keep your nose to yourself, worry more about yourself and less about others.

Bless your heart and have a great day.

When you pay for my cruise, I'll happily follow you around.

Otherwise, keep your nose to yourself, worry more about yourself and less about others.

If you cruise on the new Norwegian ships, you don't even have to get off the boat, you can have all the fake-Jimmy-Buffet-Caribbean vibe you want with the onboard Margaritaville locations, bless YOUR heart.

What silly judgmental comments about what OTHER people do with their time on vacation they paid for.

There are alot of things people do in port and onboard that aren't that far removed from activity at home or on land. So do you have a problem with everything? Playing cards, eating in restaurants, going to shows, playing chess or checkers, reading a book, I could go on. Maybe it's the idea of being in a tropical environment or in a different place - not home - that makes all of the difference. It certainly does for us.

While you're judging, consider this: In terms of bar hopping on an island and in particular Grand Turk, last year we did a very fun ATV tour, then headed to the pool and Jimmys to relax and cool off. This year, we plan to either horseback ride or take a submarine for the first part of the day, then head to our poolside cabana. Best of both worlds and avoids most of the crowds, which is what this thread was about.

No matter where you go, there's always a place to eat and drink. Not sure why anyone should find it "odd" that people hang out there - especially when you have no idea what else they may have done during their time in that or other ports. Not to mention it's none of your business.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

That place was so packed that people were turning away due to the long wait for a table. You had a very hard time getting a drink if you wanted one.

I love Grand Turk but the mass of people, being ripped off for an umbrella, drunks and vendors fighting made it a less than normal stop for us.

If you get off the ship early and get a free chair under the tree it made life easier. The right side of the pier was packed also!!! We bring our own floats and hang out by the ropes. Not many people are out there so it is perfect.

Next time I am there I will check into other places on the Island. Any ideas of where I should enjoy life next time????

Bless you all and healthy hearts to everyone,

Relax and enjoy life.

That place was so packed that people were turning away due to the long wait for a table. You had a very hard time getting a drink if you wanted one.

I love Grand Turk but the mass of people, being ripped off for an umbrella, drunks and vendors fighting made it a less than normal stop for us.

If you get off the ship early and get a free chair under the tree it made life easier. The right side of the pier was packed also!!! We bring our own floats and hang out by the ropes. Not many people are out there so it is perfect.

Next time I am there I will check into other places on the Island. Any ideas of where I should enjoy life next time????

Bless you all and healthy hearts to everyone,

Relax and enjoy life.

I've heard good things about Governors Beach and Bahari Beach. Check them out on Trip Advisor.

Many port stops accommodate many cruise ships without a problem.

Unfortunately, Grand Turk is NOT one that does.

Then there are TWO ships there it becomes a zoo. Small island and everyplace (not just Margaritaville) will be totally crowded.

Sad because Grand Turk is a nice port stop with on one ship there ....

{emphasis added} I guess we're both guilty of worrying about what others say and do, huh? And by the way, the whole, "Bless your heart and have a great day" loses some of its oomph when you say it right after telling someone off.

What silly judgmental comments about what OTHER people do with their time on vacation they paid for.

One of the biggest problems with the Carnival forums were the people with high post counts and high cruise counts who looked down their noses at everyone else. They were rude, ganged up on others, and felt like their way of cruising was the only way. It made for a very unwelcoming environment and it chased people away. I wasn't intimidated by the "holier than thou" crowd there and I won't be here. I'm willing to bet you've been judgemental a time or two on here as well. And you know what, I'd probably call you out on it as well. So I don't fault you for doing it.

Now that that's been said, allow me to elaborate. With access to gorgeous, clear blue tropical waters, I simply find it amusing that so many people want to swim in a pool instead. That's my opinion, that's all it is. I know everyone's likes are different. But I have just as much right to converse on here as you. No one's telling you or anyone else how to spend your vacation time.

{emphasis added} I guess we're both guilty of worrying about what others say and do, huh? And by the way, the whole, "Bless your heart and have a great day" loses some of its oomph when you say it right after telling someone off.

One of the biggest problems with the Carnival forums were the people with high post counts and high cruise counts who looked down their noses at everyone else. They were rude, ganged up on others, and felt like their way of cruising was the only way. It made for a very unwelcoming environment and it chased people away. I wasn't intimidated by the "holier than thou" crowd there and I won't be here. I'm willing to bet you've been judgemental a time or two on here as well. And you know what, I'd probably call you out on it as well. So I don't fault you for doing it.

Now that that's been said, allow me to elaborate. With access to gorgeous, clear blue tropical waters, I simply find it amusing that so many people want to swim in a pool instead. That's my opinion, that's all it is. I know everyone's likes are different. But I have just as much right to converse on here as you. No one's telling you or anyone else how to spend your vacation time.

Good. Because you have no business telling people how to spend time on their vacation. Glad you wasn't actually going there after all.

Good. Because you have no business telling people how to spend time on their vacation. Glad you wasn't actually going there after all.

No offense--er, I guess I mean "bless your heart"--but you see people telling other people how they should enjoy their vacation all day every day here. I can't count how many times someone with no interest in the subject has busted into a tech-related thread to shame people for using the ship's internet connectivity. (Happens on every single thread.)

Never mind the prime objective of the cruise critic forums, which is to tell people with legitimate complaints that they are crazy.

You can try shouting people down if you want, but I've found the ignore list to be faster and easier on one's blood pressure.

Edited by AdoraBelle

but you see people telling other people how they should enjoy their vacation all day every day here. I can't count how many times someone with no interest in the subject has busted into a tech-related thread to shame people for using the ship's internet connectivity.QUOTE]

That makes it right?? That makes it okay to jump in and shame or cyber bully someone???

Is it possible that someone is island and sandy beached out. They just want to relax by the pool and have a taste of home.

Is it possible that someone in the party has a medical condition and has to stay out of the sun but still enjoys getting out and about with family and friends while staying within their limitations?

No offense--er, I guess I mean "bless your heart"--but you see people telling other people how they should enjoy their vacation all day every day here. I can't count how many times someone with no interest in the subject has busted into a tech-related thread to shame people for using the ship's internet connectivity. (Happens on every single thread.)

Never mind the prime objective of the cruise critic forums, which is to tell people with legitimate complaints that they are crazy.

You can try shouting people down if you want, but I've found the ignore list to be faster and easier on one's blood pressure.

Well for one, you could have saved the codenscending "bless your heart" reference when quoting me, because I didn't say it to anyone.

I give my opinion. Everyone does. But I intentionally try not to engage in finger wagging over how people like to spend their time while on vacation. So you will not see me being righteous over someone buying the internet package or playing Pokémon or partying at Margaritaville, for example. We all have opinions on things. And I was speaking for myself. Not representing entire forums or other members, and I certainly wasn't yelling.

I know all about the ignore feature. Don't see it necessary at this point. I can disagree with someone and be fine with it.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Is Grand Turk mainly a beach port? We will be there in October. If it is, I guess we will stay on ship. We can go to beach anytime at home.

There really is very little else to do - Beach or off shore activities are the best. Cockburn Town has little to offer. The John Glen memorial is kinda sad really.

When we are there next month I'll snorkel in the morning and then head to Jacks for a shot (or two) and some food and beach-people watching with my Dad.

Take a look at the excursions offered. There's not much but some options. You can go horseback riding. ATV or mini hummer guided tours. Some people rent golf carts and ride around. There's some kind of zip line thing but I have never seen it. Then there's the beaches and shopping. I like Grand Turk myself.

The nice thing about Grand Turk is if you are willing to walk half a mile up the beach you basically have that entire stretch of beach to yourself. I usually park myself half way between the ship and Jacks Shack and the only other people around are the people walking the beach. I swim for a couple of hours in the morning then head over to Jacks for some good food and cold beer. Then swim some more in the afternoon until its time to get back on the boat. Grand Turk is actually one of my favorite ports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...