Gift bags for Stewards? Anyone ever do this?

weddingdiva

In March I'll be cruising for only the 2nd time. This time it will be with my family of 4, my parents, and some friends who are like family who have two kids also. I have read a few comments here in passing about some cruisers giving their stewards small gifts. I'd like to do this since our group will probably be pretty needy, what with the kids, but not sure what they would like or what is standard/acceptable for something like this. I would lean toward maybe products made in our home state? Please advise if you have done this in the past.

(By the way, we will tip a bit extra in cash I'm sure in addition to this).

Thanks!

In March I'll be cruising for only the 2nd time. This time it will be with my family of 4, my parents, and some friends who are like family who have two kids also. I have read a few comments here in passing about some cruisers giving their stewards small gifts. I'd like to do this since our group will probably be pretty needy, what with the kids, but not sure what they would like or what is standard/acceptable for something like this. I would lean toward maybe products made in our home state? Please advise if you have done this in the past.

Thanks!

Cash is king! They have super limited space in crew quarters and would probably appreciate not having to find room for anything that isn't absolutely necessary to their survival on the ship.

I would just put the cash into a nice card. You could probably get one that depicts your home state or some interesting area around you.

This topic comes up from time to time and the general consensus (which I absolutely agree with) is that if you want to do something extra for your steward, an additional cash gratuity and positive comments on your post-cruise survey are the way to go.

Stewards sleep four to a room. They have precious little space for gifts from passengers.

It is very thoughtful of you to want to remember you room steward. To be very frank, they don't really need "stuff" They share a tiny room with another person so they have limited space. Some folks suggest leaving candy but you have no idea what they might like or not.

I have asked if they were going into port and if not could I pick up something for them? When I did that, I just declined when they offered to pay.

I always take a blank card and write a thank you with extra cash. I also make sure to mention them in my comment.

Thanks!

One of the biggest benefits of Facebook is, it tells you what other people think

And if you ever come across a group page of on board workers, you will find the general consensus is, THEY DON'T WANT YOUR GIFTS. They don't want to be treated like children, they don't want to be treated like pets, and they CERTAINLY don't want to be your friend (last time I went looking, I found a page where they were publishing the list of names of people that were pulling tips!).

They want cash. Nothing else. They leave their families to make money and send it home. They will graciously accept anything you give them, but they will deposit it in the nearest trash bin.

On our last cruise, we left our cabin steward (and crew) this:

20150922_100305-01.jpg

Two nights later, they left us this:

100_1063-1.jpg

And we and our cabin steward/crew had fun with this "guy" the rest of the cruise, moving it to various locations throughout the cabin.

In all seriousness, as others mentioned, cash. This is something that they will really appreciate and can use. Two others also mentioned to mention them in the comments or send a letter/email to Carnival letting them know. I think it does get them recognition from Carnival. On the last cruise we were on, our cabin steward (the one we had fun with) was Kenrick. We mentioned him and his crew in the survey that Carnival sent to us. It appears others did too...I noticed in a review of Carnival Vista's inaugural cruise that he was the cabin steward of the CC member (Wrigley80) who did the review. I commented, as did others, that we had Kenrick on a previous cruise and loved him. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who mentioned him in comments. Carnival picked their best for the first sailings of Vista and Kenrick was one of them.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

One of the biggest benefits of Facebook is, it tells you what other people think

And if you ever come across a group page of on board workers, you will find the general consensus is, THEY DON'T WANT YOUR GIFTS. They don't want to be treated like children, they don't want to be treated like pets, and they CERTAINLY don't want to be your friend (last time I went looking, I found a page where they were publishing the list of names of people that were pulling tips!).

They want cash. Nothing else. They leave their families to make money and send it home. They will graciously accept anything you give them, but they will deposit it in the nearest trash bin.

They work for money just like the rest of us.

I do not understand why people think little bags with gifts are appropriate for folks who work on ships or sometimes in hotels??

IF you are in a country like Japan where cash gifts/tips are NOT the norm then maybe BUT when you are sailing from the USA then typically you'd give cash /money as a "gift/tip".

Please give cash! They are not children who want tiny toys or sweets. They send money to their families.

Agree with the cash and survey.

I did ask and some of them are diabetic so don't want candy and some just don't like it. They have a crew store they can buy that stuff in. Trinkets are pretty much tossed due to space. Remember, they need to bring all this "crap" home and many of them have small bags/restricted luggage allowance.

Many have US based prepaid cell phones (and if they don't, a buddy does) so they can call home when they are in port so International Calling Cards are obsolete. Crew Internet costs them $4 for a single continuous 24 hour period and cash helps them to stay in touch with their loved ones.

The comment cards are VERY important as they can get Employee of the Month as well as Employee of the year. Both have a nice bonus and time off attached to them. They also count letters/notes left at Guest Services.

I do realize that "It's the thought that counts" and are done with the best intentions. But they have a hard job to do. A smile and a good word to their superiors go a long way. They appreciate that much more than getting things we think they need.

It doesn't hurt to ask if they want anything from shore before you go, either. Not that they would necessarily tell you if they did, but at least it shows you care.

Edited by firemanbobswife

So last cruise I brought a bunch of local treats, HERSHEYS CANDY, tasty cakes, herrs chips and tossed in some penn state/Philly stuff- nothing that would take up space and they were taken with much appreciation- this was given at the beginning of the cruise and a handsome tip at the conclusion...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So last cruise I brought a bunch of local treats, HERSHEYS CANDY, tasty cakes, herrs chips and tossed in some penn state/Philly stuff- nothing that would take up space and they were taken with much appreciation- this was given at the beginning of the cruise and a handsome tip at the conclusion...

Who doesn't love a refrigerator magnet from your home state? ;)

This is the equivalent of getting socks from Grandma on Christmas. It might even be worse because the socks are useful albeit boring.

I'm not going to allude to anyone's age here, but there's definitely a particular generation that harbors an obsession with gifting 'trinkets' that a lot of the younger crowd (like most of the ship's workers) don't want or need. I realize that gifting trinkets is how a lot of folks in that age bracket tend to show their appreciation, but I can guarantee that you will elicit much more happiness by giving them cash, not stuff.

Edited by cruiser4305

I guess my question is how would you expect them to react? Of course they will appear appreciative because if they don't some would remove tips. They are going to fake it even if they don't want whatever you are giving them.

Stuff from your home state means nothing to them. I once had someone bring me a trinket from Italy. It was nice but had no real meaning to me as I didn't go to Italy. I said thank you and tossed it later.

Edited by BeachChik

Op:

I hope with your kind heart... You will know not to listen to Hateful rabid driven Social Media Speech like above. I will agree that Cash is King, but if you are tipping, and that's a good thing! Who cares if you bring something back from home like a small bag of Candy or a Ball cap from your NCAA Team, Do something for other people everyday!!

All The Best

Michael

I have to agree with the cash-n-card. I think it is very thoughtful to think of some personal goodies that your room steward may appreciate but what previous posters have said is true. Moola is the way to go if you are wanting to show your appreciation for their efforts.

I buy a card prior to cruising, put some cash in it, tuck it in a suitcase and then once I learn my stewards name, I address him/her in their card to make it personal.

I also take a pictures on my phone of staff name tags so I have them for the feedback cards.

Thanks!

They want $$$.