Medical services and Pharmacy

parkerlisa

Hi - We will be taking our first cruise this May. We are traveling with 2 kids 7 and 10. Our best friend is MURPHY and MURPHY will ensure that one of them will get sick on the trip!

What type of medical services are typicall onboard...i.e. if my youngest gets a fever and soar throat (strep), will they have a doctor onboard? Will they be able to issue anti-biotics if needed? Just curious. My kids have no cronic conditions or I would bring medical supplies with me, but I was wondering in the event that one does get sick, are basic doctors and anti-biotics available?

THANKS

lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess - May 29, 2004!

parker.... No worry. All ships have their own little hospital...complete with a Dr.

I have had a friend get a prescription from the ship's Dr.

I have one of those children, too! Thankfully, we have never had to take her to the ship's Dr!

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

I was sick on my very first cruise. I had the flu the week before we left, which then developed into bronchitis while on the cruise. I went to the ship's doctor, no appointment, and he gave me an antibiotic to take. I had to go back once more for cough syrup. They were very efficient.

Don't worry about your little ones. There is help if you need it. Enjoy your cruise!

Lisa-the previous posters are all correct. But, you will be charged for anything other than aspririn or dramamine, and it is not cheap! Charges will placed on you shipboard/ca bin account. If you are concerned about it, you might want to consider purchansing medical insurance for your cruise. To that end, consider: www.insuremytrip.com

Medical coverage insurance is relatively cheap for the coverage it provides. I had 2 visits to the ship's doctor on one cruise, which required an injection, blood and urine tests, and antibiotics and the bill was almost $600. Luckily, I had medical trip insurance, and I was reimbursed in full. Hope this helps and wishing you a great cruise!

Bill S

-------

Archived