Hotel in Sydney

chloe kitty

My husband and I will be in Sydney prior to a cruise for two days. Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel within 3 miles of downtown? We would like at least a 4 star, that was built after 1970. The newer, the better. We did see one, the Quality Cambridge. Is that a good hotel? Is that a good location? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

chloe kitty

Your requirements seem clear and yet at the same time? the usual suspects of good hotels in Sydney for most are those in the Rocks/Circular Quay area.

Sir Stamford (probably too old a building for your tastes)

Marriott Circular Quay ( I don't like for personal reasons)

4 Seasons

Shangri-La

Park Hyatt is fantastic but pricey.

Holiday Inn in the Rocks is popular but in an older building

Intercontinental base of the building is historic top newer.

there is also a Quay West property near the Opera that never gets mentioned but looks new from the lobby.

You pretty well can't go wrong with a 4 star hotel in this area. And it is where you want to be unless the suburban part of your request within 3 miles of the CBD is needed, not sure why you would want to even go out of CBD.

I pretty much agree with moyaroo aboy the rocks/Circular Quay area. Wotif.com http://www.wotif.com.aucan help you get a good price in this area or elsewhere in the CBD. The Holiday Inn Old Sydney http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/sydgs?irs=null is in the rocks and offers a magnificent view of the Harbour Bridge and all of Circular Quay including the Sydney Opera House from the rooftop pool. I'm not sure what the Wotif.com rates would be, but be sure to check out the IHG Friends & Family rate for comparison.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Darling Harbor and it was very nice. We were upgraded upon arrival and we arrived at 10 am in the . morning and were allowed to check in right away.

We went right away to sight see and went to the Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Wildlife World, walked around the Darling Harbor and then crashed for the night due to our 15 hr. flight from Los Angeles. Then the next day we walked the 15 minutes to the Rocks area and picked up the water shuttles to the Taronga Zoo and then back on the water shuttle (can't remember what it is called) and then went to the Opera House and the Botanical Gardens, the rocks. Then the next day we went to the cruise ship at Darling Harbor via a taxi for like $10.

Four Points Sheraton included a fantastic buffet breakfast. We were very satisfied. Hope this helps.

My husband and I will be in Sydney prior to a cruise for two days. Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel within 3 miles of downtown? We would like at least a 4 star, that was built after 1970. The newer, the better. We did see one, the Quality Cambridge. Is that a good hotel? Is that a good location? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

chloe kitty

try the Hilton specials

http://hilton.com/en/hi/promotions/hi_awa/index.jhtml?cid=OM,HH,AWA,Featured

stevo

chloe kitty,

I live in New Mexico but have a house in Queenscreek Arizona. Wish I was in Arizona tomarrow... its going down to nine degrees to night.

Here is some information you might research. Last year (January) we did a 14 day cruise out of Sydney and really enjoyed the whole trip. We stayed at the Sydney Marriott across from Hyde Park with easy access to the down town area. We got the Hotel on Priceline with a winning bid of $101. Our friends that went with us placed a bid on Priceline for $92 and got a winning bid at the same Hotel. I see on "Biddingfortravel" where someone has a winning bid for $155 (February date). If I were you and your not afraid to make a bid on Priceline I would only go for a Four Star Hotel. Bid low say $95 and see what happens. If you are declined wait 24 hours and bid again by raising your bid say $10 each try.

By the way. The Sydney Marriott is rated a Five Star but by American Standards that hotel is more like a Four Star. The Hotel is very clean and has access to some nice resturants back behind the hotel. The closer to Hyde park the more expensive the resturants get. I hope this helps. Tim

I am also looking for Sydney hotel information and appreciate the suggestions.

Does anyone know how far ahead one may book a reservation?

Our cruise will be a year from now (January 2012).

We will be in Sydney Feb 2012.Try booking your dates on orbitz or travlocity and see how far out they go.We are thinking of booking the Park Hyatt and its to far out to book

I am also looking for Sydney hotel information and appreciate the suggestions.

Does anyone know how far ahead one may book a reservation?

Our cruise will be a year from now (January 2012).

What sort of hotel are you looking for, Sydney has lots of high standard hotels, some have Sydney harbour views, which are expensive? From my experience the further ahead you book the better. When you are in Sydney it is at least the holiday period, and not New Year, as hotels are very expensive then.

I would highly recommend the Westin Hotel, but it doesn't have harbour views. We had glimpses of Darling Harbour.

http://www.sydneymenzieshotel.com.au/

We have stayed in this hotel a few times, ideal for CQ and Darling Harbour, both a 5/10 minute walk away as are the Rocks and a$60 cab ride from the airport, or the train station is actually across the road underground..Great brekkie and indoor pool.

Stevo

We stayed there last month prior to embarking on the Diamond Princess.

No complaints at all, and it is very centrally located. We thought the restaurant was expensive, but the little cafe just up the road was brilliant. The best Eggs Florentine and the Bircher Museli was 'to die for' !!!!

Price was quite high, but for the location acceptable. Getting our rental car back to Budget from there nearly caused WWIII - Sydney driving is a total nightmare.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Darling Harbor and it was very nice. We were upgraded upon arrival and we arrived at 10 am in the . morning and were allowed to check in right away.

We went right away to sight see and went to the Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Wildlife World, walked around the Darling Harbor and then crashed for the night due to our 15 hr. flight from Los Angeles. Then the next day we walked the 15 minutes to the Rocks area and picked up the water shuttles to the Taronga Zoo and then back on the water shuttle (can't remember what it is called) and then went to the Opera House and the Botanical Gardens, the rocks. Then the next day we went to the cruise ship at Darling Harbor via a taxi for like $10.

Four Points Sheraton included a fantastic buffet breakfast. We were very satisfied. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this info Grumpy. We're staying at the Four Points pre cruise and post cruise this Feb/April. Hope that we are upgraded to their executive floor - got this at Heathrow and it was really nice. We should arrive around 8 or 8:30am so hope we can check in early too. Was there a charge for the buffet or was it included in your upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sitting on two reservations right now for our one night pre-cruise, December 23...

The first is at the Four Points--$240 AU includes breakfast...

The second is at the Holiday Inn--$202.50...no breakfast...

I hear good things about the Four Points, but my wife likes the location of the Holiday Inn...

The breakfast won't be all that important to me since I could just not eat and wait until we get to the ship and "pig out" at the buffet come lunch time...

I worry a bit about the HI being "dated"...but, of course, date is a relative term...and we're not buying it...just staying the night...so, dated might be okay so long as it is clean and comfortable...

Convenience might be the bigger concern...since we're only planning on one night in Sydney and will have no car, which location has more to do and see around it and will be easier logistically is the greater concern...

Any thoughts?

Archived