Short Winter Getaway - Caribbean Princess or Celebrity Constellation?

ms.qwerty

Hello all! This is my first time posting on Cruise Critic, and I'm hoping for some help choosing a cruise to take with my sister this winter. It'll be her first cruise, and my second. We're looking for a short but relaxing girls' getaway sailing out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, and I would love any advice or recommendations!

About us: My sister and I are both in our mid-twenties. Neither of us is a big drinker/partier. We are both interested in good and varied activity and entertainment options. She has specifically mentioned quality food as a consideration, and we're both fairly adventurous eaters.

Cruising history: My sister is really looking forward to going on her first cruise. My one prior cruise was to the western Caribbean on the Norwegian Star. I really enjoyed the trip - especially the friendliness of the crew, the fact that we always had something to do if we wanted to, and (please don't laugh) the towel animals. My husband did most of the planning for that trip, so I feel like I'm still a newbie when it comes to cruises.

Cruises we're considering: The two sailings that seem to fit best in our schedules are a 3-night Eastern Caribbean sailing on Caribbean Princess (port: Princess Cays) and a 4-night Bahamas sailing on Celebrity Constellation (ports: Key West, Nassau). For those familiar with these lines/ships/ports, which would you recommend for us? Or is there something else you would recommend instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello all! This is my first time posting on Cruise Critic, and I'm hoping for some help choosing a cruise to take with my sister this winter. It'll be her first cruise, and my second. We're looking for a short but relaxing girls' getaway sailing out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, and I would love any advice or recommendations!

About us: My sister and I are both in our mid-twenties. Neither of us is a big drinker/partier. We are both interested in good and varied activity and entertainment options. She has specifically mentioned quality food as a consideration, and we're both fairly adventurous eaters.

Cruising history: My sister is really looking forward to going on her first cruise. My one prior cruise was to the western Caribbean on the Norwegian Star. I really enjoyed the trip - especially the friendliness of the crew, the fact that we always had something to do if we wanted to, and (please don't laugh) the towel animals. My husband did most of the planning for that trip, so I feel like I'm still a newbie when it comes to cruises.

Cruises we're considering: The two sailings that seem to fit best in our schedules are a 3-night Eastern Caribbean sailing on Caribbean Princess (port: Princess Cays) and a 4-night Bahamas sailing on Celebrity Constellation (ports: Key West, Nassau). For those familiar with these lines/ships/ports, which would you recommend for us? Or is there something else you would recommend instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic Ms. Querty. Most of us avid cruisers would immediately suggest the 4-day cruise, the longer the better. Also, Key West is a great port stop, I have yet to visit there but, from everything I have read it sounds great and looking forward to experiencing it in February.

We have yet to sail Princess, have always wanted to. I'm sure a cruise on Caribbean Princess would be very enjoyable.

Celebrity is a great line, we sailed on Summit a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The Constellation is an older ship but, I believe it has been "Solsticized" ie; refurbished with the latest signature lounges and styles of the brand new ships in the fleet.

I vote for the Celebrity cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jonathan

I also would have to vote for the longer cruise(just because it's longer):D

Both line are very nice and have good eats!!! Celebrity is in my opinion more geared to and older crowd than you and your sis. I not talking walkers and wheelchairs more of the 40+ crowd. Either way I'm sure you will have a good time with plenty to keep you busy.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!!!:cool:

Definitely the 4 night cruise on Constellation. I do short cruises several times a year and have done both of those cruises.

First, tending at Princess Cays on that 3 night Caribbean Princess cruise is an absolute nightmare. Earlier this year, it was a 90 minute to 2 hour wait to get on to the tender. This is because it's the only stop and everyone wants to go ashore. Getting everyone ashore from a ship that big with that many people and with only a couple tenders does not work well.

On Constellation, you dock in both Nassau and Key West. The only annoyance is having to clear Customs in Key West, which delays your time getting off the ship.

Otherwise, I was a lot more impressed with Constellation. The service was a little better, main dining room was a lot better, and the overall ship was nicer on Constellation than on Caribbean. Plus, the staterooms are larger and have a couch on Constellation.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

The Constellation is a beautiful ship (a sister to the aforementioned Summit). 4 nights vs. 3 nights - go for the 4. Firstly - more nights is better; secondly- the ports. Princess Cays is a 'private' beach owned by Carnival/Princess. It is great for sitting on the beach and participating in water sports. However, if it rains, there is nothing else going on. No shops, etc.

Key West is a nice port (so I've been told - it is on my to go to list) and Nassau is great for sightseeing or going to a beach - more to do rain or shine!.

Enjoy your cruise.

We have sailed a lot with Princess but are far from cheerleaders for them. Frankly, one of the best cruises we ever took was on the Connie, she is a lovely ship. While arguably Celebrity caters to a slightly older demographic point, you will find that on a short cruise there will be lots of younger people aboard.

• 3 weeks later...