Getting on board earlier w/ kids

It seems that the closer we get to sail date, the more questions i have, so I apologize that you keep seeing my name pop up ;)

I have heard that if you are traveling with toddlers, you are allowed to board the ship sooner...? Someone mentioned to me on cruises they have been on and have had small children with them, that they asked when they checked in if they could board earlier at check-in because of toddlers they had and they were allowed to... anyone else done this?

It seems that the closer we get to sail date, the more questions i have, so I apologize that you keep seeing my name pop up ;)

I have heard that if you are traveling with toddlers, you are allowed to board the ship sooner...? Someone mentioned to me on cruises they have been on and have had small children with them, that they asked when they checked in if they could board earlier at check-in because of toddlers they had and they were allowed to... anyone else done this?

Never heard of that and have never seen it happen. Don't know why anyone with toddlers/small children would be allowed on earlier than anyone else. :rolleyes:

not so. in order:

Wedding parties

Suites/Pinnacle

those who need assistance( wheelchair boarding)

general boarding

I'm only asking just so I know ;) I want to know what's allowed/available upon request or available and not know it until you ask.

Just like the good 'ole saying - "you never know til you ask!"

Those of us not bring children want to get to that vacation as fast you do. :p :D

If the ship is open for boarding you won't have a very long wait. The lines you encounter will be the security lines. Once through security and you have your SeaPass in hand you can go right on board. Because this is your first cruise, don't forget to stop for the photo op. I know, many hate it, but I do love having that first photo.

I don't know which cruise you are on, but ask around for the best time to arrive at port to avoid long lines at security. It will vary from port to port.

I wonder where op "heard" this as I don't know of any cruiseline that does it. Can you imagine if they boarded toddlers and children first? On some cruises that would be well over half the passengers (with their parents of course). :rolleyes:

I can see it now, people asking that if they're traveling with (or know) someone boarding early with kids, can they board with them lol.

Edited by BND

not so. in order:

Wedding parties

Suites/Pinnacle

those who need assistance( wheelchair boarding)

general boarding

I'm in a JS but walk with a cane. My JS takes precedence over my handicap? In the past we've showed our handicap plackard and get to immediately go to the front of the line to check in.

There is no advantage of loading anyone with kids or even special needs onto the ship earlier. Everyone has a cabin already purchased. There aren't any lines to speak of and there is plenty to eat and drink for everyone. :)

If you are concerned about a huge rush of people all trying to get on in a hurry I would avoid the 10:30 to Noon time period. Pretty much after that rush is over you should be able to have very little wait time at any point.

Is this your first cruise? If it is I will give you a short rundown of what it will be like at the pier. If you know all this, sorry, just trying to be helpful. :)

When you arrive at the port you will hand off your luggage to a porter, make sure you have your luggage tags on them. Then you will walk inside and you will be directed to a line to check in. There are several different lines, but don't worry, they will have many check in agents and the lines go fast. You will need your SetSail Pass, ID's and a credit card to check in. Check for a family of 4 might take 10-15 minutes You will leave with your SeasPass cards that you will need to get on and off the ship and buy anything while on the ship. These are important, do not lose them. After check in you will be directed to an area to either wait until the ship is ready to board, or you will be directed to the gangplank to board the ship. It's fool proof, so no fear...lots of people to direct you. :) Usually there is a photo opportunity spot right there where you can have your family's first cruise photo. When you board the ship you will use your SeaPass Cards. Once onboard, you are vacation! Have a great time.

or somewhere you "heard" this from gave you bad information.

There is no advantage of loading anyone with kids or even special needs onto the ship earlier. Everyone has a cabin already purchased. There aren't any lines to speak of and there is plenty to eat and drink for everyone. :)

If you are concerned about a huge rush of people all trying to get on in a hurry I would avoid the 10:30 to Noon time period. Pretty much after that rush is over you should be able to have very little wait time at any point.

Is this your first cruise? If it is I will give you a short rundown of what it will be like at the pier. If you know all this, sorry, just trying to be helpful. :)

When you arrive at the port you will hand off your luggage to a porter, make sure you have your luggage tags on them. Then you will walk inside and you will be directed to a line to check in. There are several different lines, but don't worry, they will have many check in agents and the lines go fast. You will need your SetSail Pass, ID's and a credit card to check in. Check for a family of 4 might take 10-15 minutes You will leave with your SeasPass cards that you will need to get on and off the ship and buy anything while on the ship. These are important, do not lose them. After check in you will be directed to an area to either wait until the ship is ready to board, or you will be directed to the gangplank to board the ship. It's fool proof, so no fear...lots of people to direct you. :) Usually there is a photo opportunity spot right there where you can have your family's first cruise photo. When you board the ship you will use your SeaPass Cards. Once onboard, you are vacation! Have a great time.

I will add a bit to this - boarding too early with toddlers is not always an advantage. Rooms may not be open when you board, and not too many things will be open either. We boarded Grandeur around 10:30 or so, walked around ship for a little bit, and landed on top deck around 11am and had to wait almost 2 hours till our rooms opened up. Our 3 year old was antsy by 11:30...lol.

Some tips - assuming the kids are potty trained, pack some suits and use the pool. Easy to kill some time there. The arcade will be open on most ships, so you can kill some time there too. Windjammer will be open for lunch, but may be crowded.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This isn't my first cruise, my 5th actually, but it is my first with my kids.

Please don't hear me wrong, I am not trying to get any special treatment or anything just because I have kids, but I was just trying to verify what I heard from someone today who had been on a cruise with a large group of people, along with toddlers, and they were able to board early because of that.

I would rather chat about it here and verify before I get there and ask.

I was planning on getting there for the 10:30-12:00 window because I wanted to sit down with the kids and get lunch.

Given that you now know that you won't receive preferential treatment, perhaps you can plan for a later arrival at the port. If you arrive after boarding has commenced, you will have little or no wait once you have dropped off your luggage and checked in.