Required Travel Doc's...

GalCruzer

This would be for my 17 year old who does not have a drivers license, but does have a driving learning permit. It will be just the 2 of us.

We are going on a cruise in Feb to Mexico and want to be sure that she has the correct doc's to get on and off the boat.

So what would be required for a 17 year old with no drivers license?

Thank You

If the learners permit is issued as a card by the state, then it, along with birth certificate should be enough.

That said, at 17, you have plenty of time to get him a passport, so that there is no question. It will last for 10 years. A passport is good for all kinds of things - like when he gets a job it is the only document needed.

If the learner's permit has a photo on it, that's what you should use, along with the BC...over 16 needs a photo id of some sort.

It's not "getting off the ship" that you need these things for...it's boarding the ship in the 1st place!

Edited by cb at sea

First of all, this is too important an issue to depend on the information you may receive on a message board. Having said that, your child needs a government-issued photo ID, as stated in the third paragraph of the link I am supplying. I am assuming this is a "closed loop cruise", which means you are beginning and ending in the same US port.

I would also suggest getting her a passport at this time. It will be sent to you in plenty of time for your cruise.

Read the information at the link below:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise <---click here

This would be for my 17 year old who does not have a drivers license, but does have a driving learning permit. It will be just the 2 of us.

We are going on a cruise in Feb to Mexico and want to be sure that she has the correct doc's to get on and off the boat.

Thank You

On a closed loop cruise a US citizen may sail on a closed loop cruise with a government issued photo ID and a birth certificate (or if not born in the US a naturalization certificate or consulate report of birth abroad). My sons have used their learners permits for all of their cruises (issued with photo). If your child's learners permit does not have a photo then you should be able to obtain a state issued photo ID for her. Some cruise lines do require a passport so make sure that you consult with the cruise line's FAQ and call and ask them if you have any questions.

We just took a cruise with my 17 yr old grandson. He used his learners permit(has his photo on it) and his BC. If the learners permit from your state does not have a picture then you can get an ID card made at the DMV that will have a picture on it.

Thanks for the responses. I had also called Carnival itself and was told that she needs a picture ID, that was when I told her she has a driving permit, but she told me it needs to be a school id...

I told her it is a state issued driving permit that has her photo on it. She said she would need a school id! I knew I had to ask again. Because of her permit being a government issued id, why would that not be enough? But yes I understand also in combination with her original birth certificate.

Thank you!

Getting excited!

Thanks for the responses. I had also called Carnival itself and was told that she needs a picture ID, that was when I told her she has a driving permit, but she told me it needs to be a school id...

I told her it is a state issued driving permit that has her photo on it. She said she would need a school id! I knew I had to ask again. Because of her permit being a government issued id, why would that not be enough? But yes I understand also in combination with her original birth certificate.

Thank you!

Getting excited!

Cruise line customer service isn't what it used to be but the person that you spoke to did not know what they were talking about.

Thank you!

Getting excited!

I don't think the person you talked to knew what they were talking about. As I said we just did this with my grandson but we were on Royal Caribbean, not Carnival.

Ask your travel agent to find out for sure.

Thank You

Does the learner's permit have a photo? If so, that might be enough. But doesn't your state issue ID cards for non-drivers? Most DMV offices will issue one. That would be better.

This is what I just read from carnivals website.

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

•Driver’s License

•Driver’s Permit

•School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank You

A 17 yr old needs to just get a passport. At 17 the passport is for 10 yrs. Apply now, since you are cruising in Feb you have time to get this done with out needing a rush....

Have a great time but get a passport!

This takes care of all concerns and will be handy in the future.

Edited by nana541

Thank you!

Getting excited!

Carnival's Customer Service is not all that reliable. They insisted to me once that I needed a passport to fly from Oregon to Alaska. Last I checked, they're both in the U.S. LOL.

You could take both the driver permit and the school ID, just in case the person checking you in is as "bright" as the rep you talked to. :o It's actually the Department of Homeland Security that determines what you need to board the ship. Carnival can require more than what Homeland Security says, but they can't require less.

As a couple others have said, bring a letter from her father if you share joint custody. Last time I took my DD on a cruise to Mexico I did some research (no, I don't trust Carnival's CS reps!) and learned that it's a requirement of the Mexican government that you have the letter from the non-traveling parent unless you have sole custody. I think you need a death certificate if the other parent is deceased, but that wasn't my situation so I'm not sure of that one. While I had the letter with me, no one asked for it, but better safe than sorry. If someone had asked for it, not having it wouldn't have meant not sailing, but my daughter wouldn't have been able to get off the ship in Mexico. The reason the Mexican government requires it is because of International Child Abduction Laws.

Have a great cruise!

I just wanted to add that even though a passport is not required on a closed loop cruise, should an accident happen or any emergency that required you to fly home, rather than continue on the cruise line, you have to have a passport to fly home from ports outside the U.S. Go ahead and get the passport if that's at all possible.

No, by saying the learners permit wasn't acceptable the CCL rep was incorrect.

Depending on where the rep was from, she may have been making assumptions based on experience. Some states still issue the learner's permit on paper, though it's usually accompanied by a state-issued ID. In that case, the permit alone wouldn't be enough, as there's no photo.

Depending on where the rep was from, she may have been making assumptions based on experience. Some states still issue the learner's permit on paper, though it's usually accompanied by a state-issued ID. In that case, the permit alone wouldn't be enough, as there's no photo.

While there is truth in what you say it doesn't mean that the rep wasn't wrong, nor would it completely excuse them for being wrong (not in my mind, anyway). CSR's should not be making assumptions based on experience but should be making statements based on fact from their training.

When I called Carnival several times the reps told me a notarized letter from an absent parent is not needed unless the ship is docked over night, or if the child is not traveling with a parent. If the child is traveling with someone who is not their legal guardian then a letter is recommended but not required. Also, if the child is 16 and older a picture id and a birth certificate is required to board.

Forms of ID are as follows:

State or government issued (school id is fine as long as the child is under 19

Drivers license/permit

Passport.

Edited by NOLABEAUTY

Carnival's Customer Service is not all that reliable. They insisted to me once that I needed a passport to fly from Oregon to Alaska. Last I checked, they're both in the U.S. LOL.

You could take both the driver permit and the school ID, just in case the person checking you in is as "bright" as the rep you talked to. :o It's actually the Department of Homeland Security that determines what you need to board the ship. Carnival can require more than what Homeland Security says, but they can't require less.

As a couple others have said, bring a letter from her father if you share joint custody. Last time I took my DD on a cruise to Mexico I did some research (no, I don't trust Carnival's CS reps!) and learned that it's a requirement of the Mexican government that you have the letter from the non-traveling parent unless you have sole custody. I think you need a death certificate if the other parent is deceased, but that wasn't my situation so I'm not sure of that one. While I had the letter with me, no one asked for it, but better safe than sorry. If someone had asked for it, not having it wouldn't have meant not sailing, but my daughter wouldn't have been able to get off the ship in Mexico. The reason the Mexican government requires it is because of International Child Abduction Laws.

Have a great cruise!

This information is not accurate.

The document is only required if you plan on disembarking in Mexico.