Singapur Top Ten

josephml1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We spent a new year's eve in Singapore in the mid-1980s and went to Raffles to taste the original Singapore Sling. Must say it was most disappointing.

We'll be in Singapore four times in November. No slings, but it's a great town. Do what interests you; don't follow other people's lists. As to a list, google Tripadvisor.

Anyone one know if the pool on top of the Marina Bay Sands is guests only or open to the public for the view?
We were in Singapore recently and went to Marina Bay Sands Hotel. Amazing! Most of the roof-top area is for guests only and is well secured by gates and guards. The gorgeous infinity pool is definitely off limits. But you can access the roof if you get passes to Ku De Ta, an uber chic roof-top bar. You can get passes from the concierge for the bar on the ground floor of the hotel near the sky elevator. If you're particularly charming, you may even be given a pass for a free drink! You'll have limited roof-top access but the views are still worth it.

Anyone one know if the pool on top of the Marina Bay Sands is guests only ,

or open to the public for the view?

You can get up there.

I do not recommend staying at the hotel. Too crowded and more of a meeting type of hotel and one can wait close to an hour just to be seated for breakfast.

Keith

Nice advice... very useful.

we have plans just the visit the Marina sands hotel too. I read something about paying a fee just to see the upper level. But I am not sure about this info. Hope someone can confirm it:)

... we have plans just the visit the Marina sands hotel too. I read something about paying a fee just to see the upper level. But I am not sure about this info.
I'm not aware of any charge for roof-top access at Marina Bay Sands. Elevators are controlled by key cards, so access to all floors is for guests only. The only way that I know for a non-guest to get there is with a pass to the roof-top bar, KuDeTa. That's what we did. A concierge from the bar will accompany you in the elevator and provide access to the top floor. KuDeTa is more or less in the centre of the roof, flanked on either side by the infinity pool and private guest areas. It has an outside patio and a small viewing platform. You don't have to drink at the bar in order to enjoy the views.

And if you do go to Marina Bay Sands, don't miss the underground shopping mall. Even if you're not a shopper, it's worth a quick peek.

I'm not aware of any charge for roof-top access at Marina Bay Sands. Elevators are controlled by key cards, so access to all floors is for guests only. The only way that I know for a non-guest to get there is with a pass to the roof-top bar, KuDeTa. That's what we did. A concierge from the bar will accompany you in the elevator and provide access to the top floor. KuDeTa is more or less in the centre of the roof, flanked on either side by the infinity pool and private guest areas. It has an outside patio and a small viewing platform. You don't have to drink at the bar in order to enjoy the views.

And if you do go to Marina Bay Sands, don't miss the underground shopping mall. Even if you're not a shopper, it's worth a quick peek.

Good to know... thanks for the info very useful:)

How much time for Singapore? Our ships gets in at 3 pm so we have an overnight onboard but do you recommend an extra hotel overnight as well? If so, what should we visit??

Nice to have an overnight on the ship.

As to a Hotel , a lot would depend on what time your flight is back home.

For us,the planes all seem to leave late at night so we have always gone for an extra night with the hotel, or arranged a late checkout and /or bag storage for the day.

Chinatown

Little India

Safari Zoo

Botanical Garden

Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons

Keith

ditto. you can get to all of these using the user-friendly subway. the orchid garden was spectacular (if you like that sort of thing).

no gum-chewing or smoking (ok, smoking in limited areas outside). no jay-walking. brush up on the laws of the land before you go.

We stayed at the Marina Bay Sands in January 2011 and thought it was a lot of fun. Just expect crowds. We were at the fantastic roof-top pool by 10:00 AM and practically had it to ourselves. Of course it got more and more crowded as the day went on. Only hotel residents can access the pool. With a Sky Park ticket, you can only enter a limited area....but you still get to take in the gorgeous view. For breakfast we either grabbed a coffee and a croissant in the bakery on the ground floor of the hotel or had breakfast in the mall across the street (TCC, I think). We walked across the bridge to take the MRT into the city.

Favorite places in Singapore include....

Little India - try lunch or dinner at Banana Leaf Apollo

Clarke Quay in the evening - with a Singapore River Cruise

Night Safari - unique zoo experience

PS Cafe on Dempsey Hill

Bistro Bar in Rochester Park - cool restaurant (and not too expensive) in converted bungalow. Cute Starbucks in Rochester Park, too.

Chinatown - shopping, temples, shophouses on Ann Siang Hill

Orchard Road - what can I say? I like to shop:D

Shops in Tanglin Mall - things are cheaper in Chinatown but this upscale mall near Orchard Road has A/C

Orchid Garden in the Botanical Gardens

Walking through the grounds of Raffles Hotel - stop in the gift shop

We did an evening walking tour with Singapore Original Walks near Clarke Quay and it was fantastic. Very knowledgeable guide and fun group of people.

Have fun!

We always like to get on the HOHO bus in any new city for a good orientation. In Singapore,this got us to Chinatown, Little India and the Botanical Gardens with one ticket, in addition to a tour of downtown. Stayed at the Pan Pacific. Good location next to SunTec Center mall and the HOHO bus pickup, and a very nice hotel for the money...don't know why it doesn't get more mention. For us, Spore was about food, food, food. Try the chicken rice at Maxwell food court, get some fishhead curry in Little India and just snack around at SunTec. We loved this city...so clean and safe...hope to get back there someday. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

The Marina Bay Sands skypark will allow a certain amount of guests each day to visit the Infinity pool. I can't remember exactly how many, and they certainly don't publicise this fact anywhere. We found out when we got there one day that we could see the pool but their quota for the day was filled, so we went back the next day early to get the tickets, which are free after we pay the skypark entrance fee. I think it's about 50 tickets 3 times a day. If the pool is what you want to see (the whole reason for going up the Skypark to me though the view is spectacular), then go about 15 minutes before it opens and buy your tickets for whatever time they allow you to the pool. You have to tell them you want pool tickets too as they don't publicise it like I said earlier.

If you are not fussed about seeing the pool, then I suggest you go up to the Ku De Ta bar (when it is open in the afternoon and evening), buy a drink there and sneak out to the skydeck from there. The drink works out cheaper than the Skypark entrance! There is security everywhere to stop people wandering to the wrong parts, but I was told when I was there in March that if you are a customer at the KuDeTa they will not stop you going out onto the deck.

• 2 weeks later...

As Pickypicky said, Singapore is clean and safe - and a fabulous place to visit. For us a must is dinner on the Singapore Flyer (I seem to be saying this everywhere). You book on line, selecting your meal and drinks, and then turn up for a very special silver service dinner in one of the capsules on the Flyer. It's actually - I believe - higher than the London Eye, and of course the views, including of the Marina Bay Sands and all those zillion little islands around Singapore, are fantastic. You have a pre-dinner drink in the lounge, and then board the dining car/capsule for great appetisers and your entree. When the wheel finishes its circuit the main course is brought on board, which you enjoy during the second circuit. After that you return to the lounge for dessert and coffee. It's a fantastic experience.

Somebody mentioned Newton Circus for hawker food, and that is great. It's also fun to hang out at Clarke Quay or Boat Quay for non-step restaurants and lots of entertainment.

I think the HOHO bus is always a top thing to do. We like to do a full circuit whenever we catch one, and then choose the places we most want to visit. It's also fun to do the duck tour in Singapore. It's an amphibious vehicle which will do a little drive around and then head into the river for a short cruise. Goood campy, fun stuff to do.

If you have time, the Botanical Gardens are just superb, and of course we Australians always visit the Changi War Museum, which is a very special place.

Getting around Singapore on the MRT is easy and super-fast, and adds to the whole experience of this vibrant, modern city which still has its own unique character.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
As Pickypicky said, Singapore is clean and safe - and a fabulous place to visit. For us a must is dinner on the Singapore Flyer (I seem to be saying this everywhere). You book on line, selecting your meal and drinks, and then turn up for a very special silver service dinner in one of the capsules on the Flyer. It's actually - I believe - higher than the London Eye, and of course the views, including of the Marina Bay Sands and all those zillion little islands around Singapore, are fantastic. You have a pre-dinner drink in the lounge, and then board the dining car/capsule for great appetisers and your entree. When the wheel finishes its circuit the main course is brought on board, which you enjoy during the second circuit. After that you return to the lounge for dessert and coffee. It's a fantastic experience.

Somebody mentioned Newton Circus for hawker food, and that is great. It's also fun to hang out at Clarke Quay or Boat Quay for non-step restaurants and lots of entertainment.

I think the HOHO bus is always a top thing to do. We like to do a full circuit whenever we catch one, and then choose the places we most want to visit. It's also fun to do the duck tour in Singapore. It's an amphibious vehicle which will do a little drive around and then head into the river for a short cruise. Goood campy, fun stuff to do.

If you have time, the Botanical Gardens are just superb, and of course we Australians always visit the Changi War Museum, which is a very special place.

Getting around Singapore on the MRT is easy and super-fast, and adds to the whole experience of this vibrant, modern city which still has its own unique character.

Enjoy.

Great review, I am printing it. Thanks for sharing.

Also thanks Karen for the advice of the marina Bay sands:)

Archived