Fishing gear rental in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Homer?

Will be in Ketchikan (with a rental car) on 8/7/11, in Juneau on 8/9/11 (w/rental car) and in Homer on 8/13/11. My niece's boyfriend would like to try his luck fishing from the beach and/or in streams in both Ketchikan and Juneau; and in Homer in the hole on the Spit. Does anyone know of places that rent fishing equipment and sell fishing licenses? Or will he have to bring his own fishing gear on the cruise if this is what he wants to do?

Rditton, hope you're out there somewhere for advice on Ketchikan, Tee Harbor for Juneau, and GreatAm for Homer. I always count on you folks for the best info. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you have a car, you would probably better off driving to Walmart in Ketchikan and buying a cheap rod and reel with some lures and hooks. They will also sell you a fishing license and give you a copy of the fishing regs. There are a lot of rules about use of hooks and bait that vary locally so be sure you know what rules apply where. There is fishing off the bridge in Ketchikan and at the hatchery in Juneau. At your last stop, you can donate it to charity.

There is fishing off the bridge in Ketchikan and at the hatchery in Juneau. At your last stop, you can donate it to charity.

Is there a place to rent equipment in Ketchikan? (I remember reading an old post from 2-3 years ago that there was a place in town you could rent gear and fish nearby.)

Is there a place to rent equipment in Ketchikan? (I remember reading an old post from 2-3 years ago that there was a place in town you could rent gear and fish nearby.)

Things like that tend to change from year to year and I don't know if rentals will be available. The fishing isn't usually good until late July/August when the salmon are running. If you will be there in May you won't catch much.

Although this doesn't say anything about renting gear, I found much of interest on this website that encourages me to try fishing on my own on Kodiak Island. I will be there on June 5th and there were articles about the Dolly Varden and pink salmon that can be caught on light tackle in the rivers there at that time. These aren't the trophy fish that most are after but I would be tickled pink(;)) to catch them on my own.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.mackssportshop.com/report.php#fisharchives

Although it's not Ketchikan, it may help! I plan on carrying my packable flyrod with me and I may try fishing in Ketchikan also.

Thanx Wolfie for that suggestion - I like it! And will pass it along to my niece's boyfriend. It is a much better idea than him lugging his gear along from the east coast for this cruise. And as you said, would probably be a lot cheaper, overall, since he could use it in several ports along the way. Great idea to donate it at the last port!

Fisheswishbears - we visited Mack's last year when we were in Kodiak - thanx for the link! We've got the afternoon free there as we'll be going for a 3 hour tour with MemoryMakers in the AM and are asking him to leave us at Ft. Abercrombie afterwards so we can hike....and now maybe fish! for a couple of hours.

Like Happylady, I too recall an older thread about a place in Ketchikan that rented equipment, but as Wolfie says, things do change from year to year. Thought I'd take a chance. Still hoping Rene from Ketchikan can update us on that option for Ketchikan for the 2011 season.

Again, appreciate the comments and suggestions - thank you all for your time.

Archived