Oahu vs. Maui - how different are the islands?

kroberst

We have an overnight on the Solstice 10/1 - 10/2 in Honolulu. Afterwards, we are planning 5 nights in Maui. We planned all the Pearl Harbor touring for 10/1. So our question is...

When we disembark on 10/2 - is there something really unique to Oahu to warrant staying there until later in the afternoon/evening (having to dump the luggage somewhere)? or...

If most of the activities are similar on the 2 islands (helicopter tours, scuba, volcano tours, ziplining, hiking, SUP/surfing lessons, etc), should we just try to get to Maui on the earliest flight possible after getting off the ship.

The activities may be similar (and that goes for almost anywhere in the world, with the exception of volcanoes!!!), but what you'll see on those activities will be quite different!

I wouldn't rush, but I wouldn't bother storing luggage for a few hours...head on the Maui...it's a great island!

I would recommend flying to Maui early than to try to do something by staying on Oahu until later in the day.

Earlier this year USA Today ranked Honolulu traffic only behind LA as the worst in the country. Traffic can even be worse now with closures & detours due to the rail system construction. Depending upon how long you'll be at Pearl Harbor on the 1st day you'll have additional time to see other things on Oahu. Trying to go somewhere on the 2nd day requiring luggage storage & transportation would be too much for me to do. There is a luggage storage company at the airport however it would take too much time & I would not rent a car for a few hours of extra touring.

I don't know what you'd be interested in seeing on Oahu but you could checked the Hawaii Visitors Bureau website (http://www.gohawaii.com) to see if there's something that you want to see so much to have a busy couple of hours on Oahu before relaxing on Maui. :)

All of the Hawaiian islands have their own personality. We love Oahu. If you have not been before...a visit to the Iolani Palace, within walking distance of the Aloha Tower, is something I recommend. It is the only royal palace in the U.S. and the tour is fabulous, IMO. I have never taken anyone there who was not impressed. I don't know what your interests are but a visit to the Doris Duke home, Shangri La, through the Honolulu Academy of Arts is also a wonderful experience. You go to the HAA, board a small van for a 20 minute ride to the 5 acre estate overlooking the Pacific. It is a truly unique experience in Hawaii and our guests have thought it a highlight. You can view both the Iolani Palace and Shangri La online, and check the reviews on Trip Advisor. The Honolulu Academy of Arts also has a beautiful open air restaurant where we love to enjoy lunch.

Helicopter trips, beaches, waterfalls, surfing, snorkeling, great food, etc. can be enjoyed on all islands but these are two things unique to Honolulu.

I understand that luggage can be stored at the Aloha Tower so that you could enjoy a morning/afternoon in Honolulu and then collect your luggage and head to the airport for your flight to Maui. Have a great time, Cherie

Edited by cccole

Most people probably never see any of Oahu except for the Waikiki/Honolulu area. The North shore and the Windward coasts are beautiful and sparsely populated compared to Waikiki. We spent 5 nights there last year and it was as beautiful as anything I saw on the other 3 islands I visited.

Is is possible to book a circle island tour lasting several hours, but much preferable to do on your own in a rental car to make stops when and where you like. The driving is very easy once you leave the Honolulu area. But since the plan is to get to Maui, you just might want to save it for a future visit.

The islands are indeed all very different and it is worthwhile to visit them all. You will find that even the Maui coastal areas vary from the Kahului side to Lahaina/Kaanapali on the other coast, to the inland upcountry near the slopes of Haleakala, which I think is my favorite area of all.

I also love North Shore Oahu but think it would be a lot of driving in one day and might not be possible to really enjoy it. I tried to focus on things that cannot be found on other islands and are easily accessible from the port. I have heard that Uber now operates in Honolulu so that is a nice option for transportation. Cherie

I just thought of something that many others say is "a must"...hiking Diamond Head. I have not done it but the reviews have been so good it is on my list for one of our trips to Oahu. There are reviews on CC and on Trip Advisor. Your ship arrives early enough that you could possibly do this and then something else. Don't forget Uber to limit the travel time!!!! This may not be of interest to you but I can't think of volcanos on any of the other islands that you can hike to the top of and have this view. Haleakala is fine but you never know what the view will be like. Just another thought. Cherie

The north and east sides of Oahu are so beautiful! We had four days on Oahu before our cruise and made the most of them. We saw so much, but there is a lot that we didn't get to see. Yes, the traffic is bad in Honolulu, but once you're outside of the city it's fine.

One thing to remember for all the islands: while each island may offer the same type of activities, each island is unique unto itself. :)

Have fun!

Edited by greatlakesgirl

I would recommend flying to Maui early than to try to do something by staying on Oahu until later in the day.

Earlier this year USA Today ranked Honolulu traffic only behind LA as the worst in the country. Traffic can even be worse now with closures & detours due to the rail system construction. Depending upon how long you'll be at Pearl Harbor on the 1st day you'll have additional time to see other things on Oahu. Trying to go somewhere on the 2nd day requiring luggage storage & transportation would be too much for me to do. There is a luggage storage company at the airport however it would take too much time & I would not rent a car for a few hours of extra touring.

I don't know what you'd be interested in seeing on Oahu but you could checked the Hawaii Visitors Bureau website (http://www.gohawaii.com) to see if there's something that you want to see so much to have a busy couple of hours on Oahu before relaxing on Maui. :)

My son lives in a high rise in downtown Honolulu (his view is actually the cruise ships!) and I'm on the phone with him almost every morning as he drives to Schofield Barracks. Even at 5:15 am he is complaining about the traffic!

We head there Sept 1. for our first visit so I will get to see the traffic for myself!!

My son lives in a high rise in downtown Honolulu (his view is actually the cruise ships!) and I'm on the phone with him almost every morning as he drives to Schofield Barracks. Even at 5:15 am he is complaining about the traffic!

We head there Sept 1. for our first visit so I will get to see the traffic for myself!!

Really? And he's going against traffic! That's the good way to be going at that time.

Personally we find the traffic not *as* bad as some other places (southwest Connecticut and southeast Virginia come to mind!)

~Katy

Just back from Oahu and as another poster said each Island has it's unique character.

What is unique to Oahu is of course the historical stuff like Pear Harbor which if you are a history buff got to visit. The other things like beaches and waterfalls exist on every Island.

During the summer months the North Shore is very different and a visit to Waimea bay / Sunset Beach and waimea falls can be fun. Of course in he winter it is world famous. We just came back and found it wonderful deserted and kids had a blast in the falls and jumping the famous cliffs into the ocean. The North Shore has all the small Hawaii charm the other islands offer and if you go got to hit the world famous giovanni's shrimp truck, and bring a sharpi

Oahu is unique in the Waikiki beach and shopping are like no other in Hawaii if you like that stuff, there is the crazy density of hotels, foods, shopping and beach activities if you like that kind of density thing.

Maui is my favorite Island as there you have the convenience of Costco with all the old world small beach charm, and also great beach etc.

If I had just a day, it would be Pearl Harbor for the historical significance. The other stuff is the best of Hawaii with the worst of traffic and crowds :D

Edited by chipmaster