Best time of year?

1midsun

When is the best time of year to do a full transit of the Panama Canal?

I know that Carnival does not offer a full transit cruise (at least not that I have found) Is there a recommended cruise line for this? I know that some have areas that they "specialize in"

Thanks in advance for any replies.

The Canal "season" is as Bruce described and once in awhile you can find a Canal cruise in late August/September at the close of the Alaskan season. You may also be able to snag one just before the Alaskan season as late as June. Even though Celebrity and NCL don't have as many offerings in Canal cruises, you might want to give them a look as well as the other cruise lines mentioned.

If I were to choose the time for a Canal cruise based on weather alone, I would look at January and February. Those two months are about the best you can expect. The Dry Season is well established, pleasant breezes and the vegetation is at its greenest. Dry Season runs from late December through April and of course offers the best chance for dry weather. If a date outside that time works well for you, I would not hesitate whatsoever to select it. Often times the differences are slight in the temps and humidity with just a slightly better chance of a shower or two.

I believe any of the cruise lines would do a decent job on a Canal cruise, just pick one the same way you would pick a cruise line if you were going to do a regular 7 day Caribbean cruise. HAL and Celebrity probably tend to draw a slightly more mature crowd and Princess and NCL are more likely to attract a somewhat younger demographic. Of course on longer cruises, all cruise lines tend to skew towards older. Beyond that just pick a date an itinerary that appeals to you:).

I know for sure that Princess does the full canal transit and I think HAL also does it.

We are booked on our second PC cruise for November. Loved the first one on the Coral Princess. I was up front, sitting on the deck, the whole day (hint: pull a cushion off one of the lounges to avoid sitting on the HOT deck).

Time of year isn't mattering to us because this time we plan on staying on board ship the whole time. Going to be our first very leisurely trip and very much looking forward to it. Picked a November sailing because of a great price.

I know for sure that Princess does the full canal transit and I think HAL also does it.

For the upcoming "season" (Oct-May) HAL is doing 17 full transits. Princess is doing 15 full transits. Both lines do a number of partial transits.

Again, Princess and HAL do about the most full transits.

Thank you all for the helpful responses.

I had started looking, and did find a number of them. I was just wondering what the best time of year was, as I know there are less desirable times to go.

I am glad that January/February is a good time, as with the winter weather in Canada that is the time we generally like to get away.

We are a couple in our early 50's. I am 52 husband is 55. We would most likely be travelling with another couple similar in age.

We usually try to cruise every year. Looking at the prices of the Panama Canal cruise, we may skip a year and look for 2018.

Thanks again for the responses!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...