Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Info needed

lmentzer

We're doing a Panama Canal transit in December. One port of call is Puntarenas Costa Rica. Unfortunately the ship doesn't dock in Puntarenas, but rather Puerto Caldera which is a small cargo port which is a good distance from much of anything. The last time, a couple of years ago, we made this trip we took a ship's tour and were disappointed, and there don't look like there are any tours we want to take this time. We spent two weeks in Costa Rica last year, so we've seen the crocks, mackaws, and monkeys already. The volcanos look interesting, but not if it's an eight hour bus trip. so we want to DIY into Puntarenas. Can anyone tell me if there is a shuttle bus or taxis' that go from the port into town? How long a trip, and if you know about how much the fare would be? Is Puntarenas worth the trip in.

Thanks CruiserBruce. I got my answer elsewhere. Since Puntarenas seems to only be a stop on Panama Canal cruises, I thought this would be a good place to get replies from those who have stopped there. Sorry if I wasted your time.

How long a trip, and if you know about how much the fare would be? Is Puntarenas worth the trip in.

Puntarenas is about 10-12 miles from Puerto Caldera, don't have any idea what the fare would be. There really is not much in Puntarenas... the ride over there might be the highlight, just a very small business district, IMO the beach would only be an attraction to the locals.

Thanks CruiserBruce. I got my answer elsewhere. Since Puntarenas seems to only be a stop on Panama Canal cruises, I thought this would be a good place to get replies from those who have stopped there. Sorry if I wasted your time.

I think it was perfectly fine and logical for you to post here. We're on a Panama Canal cruise in January that calls at Puntarenas, and as much time as I spend here on CC (and you can see by my post count that it's far too much :p ), I could NOT find a port of call board for Costa Rica. I was shocked by this, and so I did a bunch of searches here in the Panama Canal forum for Puntarenas; I was surprised when I found a very old post that linked to a Costa Rica forum in the Caribbean port of call forum. It never occurred to me to look in the Caribbean forum for Costa Rica.

(I'm still looking for a good tour in Puntarenas...)

Turtles06, We've done a number of tours sponsored by the ship.and have seldom been very happy with them. Last time in Puntarenas we did a boat tour of the mangroves and saw a couple of crocks and one monkey and one mackaw. Not all we hoped for. We did a 2 week vacation in southern Costa Rica last year and saw howler monkeys and lots of other wildlife. We stopped at the Tarcoles bridge and saw somw amazing crocodiles. We love Costa Rica and I'd highly recommend a tour that shows you the wildlife and jungles. Good luck finding a great excursion.

• 1 month later...

During our canal trip, SandyIsRetired one of our roll call members who has retired to CR set up a great day at a resort about 45 min away. It included what those who participated said was an incredible zip line tour and a delicious lunch. A few of us paid less and enjoyed the beautiful pool and had lunch. I am going to shoot her an email with a link to this and perhaps she can help you find something similar....or at least get you in touch with her friends at the hotel.

Edited by Clay Clayton

We stayed pre-cruise at the Doubletree Resort which is about 15 minutes from the port. I don't know if they have day passes, but if so they have a lovely pool complex and good buffet lunch if you're just looking for a place to hang out. Some pretty potent beverages as well. Not a five-star resort but very pleasant with a good beach for swimming and walking. The concierge can help with zip-lining etc.

We're doing a Panama Canal transit in December. One port of call is Puntarenas Costa Rica. Unfortunately the ship doesn't dock in Puntarenas, but rather Puerto Caldera which is a small cargo port which is a good distance from much of anything. The last time, a couple of years ago, we made this trip we took a ship's tour and were disappointed, and there don't look like there are any tours we want to take this time. We spent two weeks in Costa Rica last year, so we've seen the crocks, mackaws, and monkeys already. The volcanos look interesting, but not if it's an eight hour bus trip. so we want to DIY into Puntarenas. Can anyone tell me if there is a shuttle bus or taxis' that go from the port into town? How long a trip, and if you know about how much the fare would be? Is Puntarenas worth the trip in.

Puntarenas is definitely NOT worth going ... dirty and not much at all there.

Seems from both Puntarenas and Puerto Caldera it's a long way to get to anything we'd be interested in taking.

Some of them are 8 or 9 hours!

Our last time there, we stayed on the ship.

• 5 weeks later...
During our canal trip, SandyIsRetired one of our roll call members who has retired to CR set up a great day at a resort about 45 min away. It included what those who participated said was an incredible zip line tour and a delicious lunch. A few of us paid less and enjoyed the beautiful pool and had lunch. I am going to shoot her an email with a link to this and perhaps she can help you find something similar....or at least get you in touch with her friends at the hotel.

Could you please share your information or email me

mourhaan@aol.com

The resort is called Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo in Miramar, Puntarenas. The owner's name is Barbara. Sandy says to let them know you heard about them through Cruise Critic and someone who was once in one of Sandy Neundorfer's groups. Hope it helps!

The resort is called Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo in Miramar, Puntarenas. The owner's name is Barbara. Sandy says to let them know you heard about them through Cruise Critic and someone who was once in one of Sandy Neundorfer's groups. Hope it helps!

Thank you. I'll look into it in a couple of days

• 2 weeks later...
Puntarenas is definitely NOT worth going ... dirty and not much at all there.

Seems from both Puntarenas and Puerto Caldera it's a long way to get to anything we'd be interested in taking.

Some of them are 8 or 9 hours!

Our last time there, we stayed on the ship.

I guess this shows how subjective these things can be. We spent the day in Puntarenas on our last Panama Canal cruise and we loved it. Being on a narrow peninsula, the town has a unique layout and some interesting old buildings - not touristy at all, which is so nice after all the Caribbean cruise ports with their jewelry shops. etc! It was also fun going swimming at the local beach. It turned out to be one of the best days on our cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
We spent the day in Puntarenas on our last Panama Canal cruise and we loved it. QUOTE]

We are doing the Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise in 2018 and will be stopping in Puntarenas. Is it safe to walk the Paseo de los Turistas? We were thinking of walking from the ship's pier to the lighthouse. Any idea how long that might take?

Thanks for any info. Will

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it is accurate or not, but I was told that tidal conditions dictate whether the ship docks in Puntarenas or at Puerto Caldera and the Port Authority there makes the determination. On one trip, the docking location was actually changed the night before we docked and we were surprised to wake up docked in Puntarenas. While Puntarenas is no great shakes, it sure beats Puerto Caldera. The only thing there is a craft market and some spotty wi-fi. You cannot even leave the port area unless you are in some kind of vehicle. There are always tour operators there and you can pretty much line up anything you want on the dock. There actually may be more opportunities for this at PC as opposed to Puntarenas.

At Puntarenas, if you don't feel like taking a tour, at least you can walk around town and the craft market is more extensive. There is a beach right there, but not terribly enticing since the sand is dark and dirty looking and the water is not clear. You can get wi-fi and something to eat, if you wish and visit the local market. By the waterfront there is a fish market which is interesting, too.

Edited by mcmarya

we are cruising in February:) and wondered if anyone on here knows anything about independant excursions thanks.

There is actually a Costa Rica forum here on CC, but very difficult to find, as it's under the Ports of Call/Caribbean board (even though Costa Rica also borders on the Pacific). We are transiting the Canal in a couple of months, and also have a port call in Puntarenas. Even though I spend far too much time on CC, I could not find a forum for Costa Rica until I stumbled on an old post here in the Panama Canal forum that mentioned where it is.

In terms of private tour operators, you'll find several that folks mention. Since we haven't been there yet, I can't personally recommend anyone, but I will say that we are going on an excursion with Gio Tours, which was arranged by others on our Roll Call.

Enjoy your trip!