Getting to Southampton port from London?

Hi,

We will be taking the Independence of the seas cruise on Apr 25 for our honeymoon. We are from Singapore and I was wondering how to get to port in Southampton from London. We are thinking to fly to Heathrow on Apr 23 and stayed overnight in London. On Apr 24, we would like to travel to Southampton either by bus or train and stayed overnight near the port.

What would you suggest by bus or by train? Which bus or train company to take and how much are the usual fares?

What are the main attractions in London or Southampton route?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

We will be taking the Independence of the seas cruise on Apr 25 for our honeymoon. We are from Singapore and I was wondering how to get to port in Southampton from London. We are thinking to fly to Heathrow on Apr 23 and stayed overnight in London. On Apr 24, we would like to travel to Southampton either by bus or train and stayed overnight near the port.

What would you suggest by bus or by train? Which bus or train company to take and how much are the usual fares?

What are the main attractions in London or Southampton route?

Thank you in advance.

If you like it simple and your budget allow it.

most cruise lines also offer transfers from London Victoria Station directly to the ship...

But if you prefer to do it independently:

1. by coach: http://www.nationalexpress.com

or

2. by train: http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

From here you can walk in about 12-15 minutes to the City Center Cruise Terminal where INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS berthes on this day. Alternatively you take a taxi.

Enroute mostly Winchester Cathedrale is visited. If you are more independent and willing to drive yourself: Stonehenge, Bath and Salisbury can be done in a wider loop enroute to Southampton. But it could be a litte too far away.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Southern Railway also go from london to Southampton

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=189

Can work out cheaper than other services with the day save tickets, but about 3 hours.

£10pp or £20 for up to 4pax. kids £1(with adults)

These can be booked and posted to the US(were last year)

Great for Gatwick to/from Southampton.

We are thinking to fly to Heathrow on Apr 23 and stayed overnight in London. On Apr 24, we would like to travel to Southampton either by bus or train and stayed overnight near the port.
Unless you really have a pressing need to stay in Southampton for one night, I would not do this. Just stay two nights in London. On the morning of your cruise, go to Waterloo station and jump on a train to Southampton Central, then go straight to the dock (probably best by taxi, as you will have luggage).

There are two fast trains (about 1¼ hours) and at least one slower train (about 1¾ hours) every hour from Waterloo to Southampton. The cost is not significantly more than the cost of the very slow train from Victoria to Southampton, and with so many more trains, you can be very flexible. Just turn up at the station whenever you're ready to go, buy your tickets, and get the next fast train.

Unless you really have a pressing need to stay in Southampton for one night, I would not do this. Just stay two nights in London. On the morning of your cruise, go to Waterloo station and jump on a train to Southampton Central, then go straight to the dock (probably best by taxi, as you will have luggage).

There are two fast trains (about 1¼ hours) and at least one slower train (about 1¾ hours) every hour from Waterloo to Southampton. The cost is not significantly more than the cost of the very slow train from Victoria to Southampton, and with so many more trains, you can be very flexible. Just turn up at the station whenever you're ready to go, buy your tickets, and get the next fast train.

Thank you for all the replies.

We had never been to England so I am not sure how are the conditions over there. We actually planned to stay for 2 nights in London but wanted to roam Southampton if there are a few things to do overthere.

For the two fast trains, what company are they? How much is the usual cost? We would like to keep the cost as low as possible as we might need to spend it along the trip.

By the way, where would you recommend of staying in London? A place that is not to shabby and expensive? What is the usual room rate?

Thank you once again.

For the two fast trains, what company are they? How much is the usual cost? We would like to keep the cost as low as possible as we might need to spend it along the trip.

the fast train (1hr15m) is London Waterloo -> Southampton Central on South West Trains; fast train departs once/hour. There are also a couple more slightly slower (1h45m) trains every hour. If you're looking to save money, you can get tickets on selected slower trains at megatrain.com 's

There's also a train from London Victoria station, but it's a lot slower 2h35m

By the way, where would you recommend of staying in London? A place that is not to shabby and expensive? What is the usual room rate?

Thank you once again.

Intercontinental hotel group have special rates for two nights room only stays. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/exclusive

Put in London UK and select 2 night 23-25 April I got the following rates(picked the 3 best central london)

No idea if it any good (check trip advisor) but location are fine for central London for the 23-25th April close to tube stations

Holliday Inn £67.50pn

1. LONDON-MAYFAIR

3 BERKELEY ST.

LONDON, W1J8NE

ENGLAND

Holiday Inn £85pn

4. LONDON-OXFORD CIRCUS

57-59 WELBECK STREET

LONDON, W1G 9BL

ENGLAND

abit further out but handy for the Museums and other stuff

Holiday Inn £49.50

8. LONDON KENSINGTON FORUM

97 CROMWELL ROAD

LONDON, SW7 4DN

ENGLAND

We used National Express in 2006, it was wonderful.....it couldn't have been easier :D If you book far enough in advance, they have specials, it cost us about $10 each.

Anne

most cruise lines also offer transfers from London Victoria Station directly to the ship...

Regards,

HeinBloed

the fast train (1hr15m) is London Waterloo -> Southampton Central on South West Trains; fast train departs once/hour. There are also a couple more slightly slower (1h45m) trains every hour.
To be pedantic, it really is the other way around.

At the moment, the weekday timetable during the day (after peak hours) from London Waterloo to Southampton has trains at these minutes past each hour:-

05 -> 22 (1:17)

35 -> 49 (1:14)

39 -> 17 (1:38)

To be pedantic, it really is the other way around.

At the moment, the weekday timetable during the day (after peak hours) from London Waterloo to Southampton has trains at these minutes past each hour:-

05 -> 22 (1:17)

35 -> 49 (1:14)

39 -> 17 (1:38)

Pedant away.... Indeed you're correct, I had remembered it the other way around. Either way, it's only 20 minutes more on the 'slow' train still well under 2h; and a lot faster than the 2h30 on the London Victoria-Southampton train or National Express coach (2h30 - 3h00).

30 years ago, the fast train was only 1h10m (non-stop Waterloo Southampton) amazing how far technology has advanced from the only antiquated slam-doors...

30 years ago, the fast train was only 1h10m (non-stop Waterloo Southampton) amazing how far technology has advanced from the only antiquated slam-doors...
To be fair, today's fast trains are not non-stop. If they were, I expect that the journey time could be significantly less than the 1¼ hours that it now is.

30 years ago the train companies didn't have penalties for lateness and there was always the right kind of leaves on the line.

Read somwhere a lot of the flight schedules are now longer than they were 30 years or so ago, even though actual flight times are pretty much the same.

Still I guess 30 years ago they didn't take the sightseeing tour going around and around the 02 arena/ Dome over London before landing.

Read somwhere a lot of the flight schedules are now longer than they were 30 years or so ago, even though actual flight times are pretty much the same.

Still I guess 30 years ago they didn't take the sightseeing tour going around and around the 02 arena/ Dome over London before landing.

It's simply that there's more traffic and more traffic jams - same in the air as on the ground. However, I think that the "sightseeing tour" has always been thus, to establish on the localiser 15-20 miles out, like at most major airports.

the Holiday Inn Mayfair is a great location, you can walk to so many places from there plus the Green Park tube station is just 2 minutes away. If you can get a good rate, it would be a good spot to stay.pj

The Chesterfield hotel is also good, maybe 1 block from the Holiday Inn Mayfair, but probably costs a little more. Wherever you choose to stay, try to negotiate an included breakfast.

Tee hee, nice one handford - 30 years ago the aircraft didn't take the sightseeing tour around the Dome because it wasn't built then !

Reminds me of the old chestnut - why did they build Windsor Castle under the flight path of Heathrow ?

It's simply that there's more traffic and more traffic jams - same in the air as on the ground. However, I think that the "sightseeing tour" has always been thus, to establish on the localiser 15-20 miles out, like at most major airports.

Generally because of better ATC planning there are fewer (racetrack) holds than in the past. One of the more amuzing things I've seen was we arrived about 20 mins early into London one day, but because of LHR's overnight restrictions, we were put on about a 20 mile final, well past Reading. Touchdown at 06:00:40 local time.

Back to the scheduling longer times, if you schedule your flight for 15 min longer than it actually takes, you have an extra 15 minutes of wiggleroom before you have to tell the FAA that it was 'late' arriving, and people pay attention to those (on time x% of the time) numbers. It's a sham and people aren't smart enough to realize it. What you really care about is on time departures....

One of the more amuzing things I've seen was we arrived about 20 mins early into London one day, but because of LHR's overnight restrictions, we were put on about a 20 mile final, well past Reading. Touchdown at 06:00:40 local time.
Yes, LHR's ATC is awesome like that.
What you really care about is on time departures.
Actually, I don't agree. The only thing that I really care about is on-time arrivals. That's what makes the difference between being late for work, or making my family wait for me when picking me up, and not. Or, if connecting, what makes the difference between making the connection and not making the connection. I don't give a stuff if we're 45 minutes "late" departing, so long as we're an on-time arrival.

Ditto for the short overnight flights from North America, which are often held on the ground at the departure airport when the winds are strong because there is no point getting to the UK too early, only to have to waste fuel and money holding until the earliest time they are permitted to land. If the arrival is on-time, who cares if you depart an hour late?

I agree with you Globaliser, but I think a lot of people hate being loaded on the plane and then just sit at the gate or on the tarmac. They don't realize all of the complexities that are in the network, they just know that they are stuck sitting in a cramped seat and want to go to the loo.

jc

• 2 weeks later...

or

2. by train: http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

From here you can walk in about 12-15 minutes to the City Center Cruise Terminal where INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS berthes on this day. Alternatively you take a taxi.

Enroute mostly Winchester Cathedrale is visited. If you are more independent and willing to drive yourself: Stonehenge, Bath and Salisbury can be done in a wider loop enroute to Southampton. But it could be a litte too far away.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We will arrive in Heathrow at 1:00 pm on Saturday, July 11 (the day prior to our NCL Jade cruise). We are flying out of Phoenix. My husband would like to go directly to Southampton after the flight and spend the night in Southampton. We will probably take the bus to the Waterloo Station and take the train to Southampon. ARE WE CRAZY??? Do you think that is too much for one day especially after flying for 10 hours. Would do you all suggest?

Marilyn

ARE WE CRAZY???

To make a long story short: yes - you are!!!

1. the bus goes to Victoria Station - not Waterloo where the DIRECT trains start to Southampton. From Victoria there is only Soutern Railways via Gatwick.

2. the same time you get to London you can be in Southampton with the direct bus from Heathrow to Southampton.

So again: you are crazy.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We will arrive in Heathrow at 1:00 pm on Saturday, July 11 (the day prior to our NCL Jade cruise). We are flying out of Phoenix. My husband would like to go directly to Southampton after the flight and spend the night in Southampton. We will probably take the bus to the Waterloo Station and take the train to Southampon. ARE WE CRAZY??? Do you think that is too much for one day especially after flying for 10 hours. Would do you all suggest?

Actually the bus you want would go LHR -> Woking Station (1 stop out of London on the Southampton route) rather than all the way into London. From Woking you catch the South West Trains service to Southampton Central. Alternately there is direct coach(bus) service from LHR to Southampton, which is just as quick, and a little less expensive.

Yes, LHR's ATC is awesome like that.Actually, I don't agree.

LHR's ATC(Tower) would only get the handoff on shortish final. It would be Swanwick (just outside of Portsmouth) that handle all of the Southern UK's approach/departure that would send you 20 miles out to Reading.

The only thing that I really care about is on-time arrivals. That's what makes the difference between being late for work, or making my family wait for me when picking me up, and not. Or, if connecting, what makes the difference between making the connection and not making the connection. I don't give a stuff if we're 45 minutes "late" departing, so long as we're an on-time arrival. If the arrival is on-time, who cares if you depart an hour late?

Because the arrival times are so padded these days, arrival times say nothing of the airlines 'on time' record.

If you left on time it means the airline is keeping to schedule. If you arrived ontime after 45 minutes late departure, it means the airline were probably (excepting tail winds on a very long flight) lying to you in the 1st place.

We are traveling to London Gatwick in November for a TA cruise. We had planned to come a day early, but take the train directly from Gatwick to Southampton the day we arrive and spend the night in Southampton. Why did you suggest that we not do this? We aren't familiar with the area, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Archived