Taking a child's scooter on board??

Cshgrand

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help?

I am taking my son (6) on a short cruise from Southampton on RC Independence in October. We stop at Le Havre which has a lovely promenade to walk along and an outdoor skate/scooter park we spotted last year.

Do you think it would be ok to take a child's scooter on board as carry on or should it be packed in a bag? We were planning a day out in Southampton after checking our bags in and would most likely take it with us for the day out too.

Obviously this is just to be used at port stops and not on board.

I have tried the RC customer service telephone but the whole scooter thing got a bit lost in translation and didn't get a clear response.

I would read the terms and conditions very carefully. I looked into bringing fold up scooters for use in port on one of our cruises (I don't remember which line) and there was an area in the fine print that covered no bikes, skateboards, roller skates, etc. allowed on board at all and would be confiscated from luggage. I didn't want to chance having the scooters removed and risk not getting them back at the end of the cruise.

As always, the people at the port are not going to care what someone on the phone told you, so you would need to be prepared to have the scooter removed if they saw it in your luggage.

All the best,

Mia

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333

I wonder if the service person heard "scooter" and thought your child requires the scooters that old people use. Yes- to the old people scooters, no to skateboard type scooters. You can bring bicycles.

A scooter is similar to a skateboard with handlebars- so it looks like it's no. I recommend doing some type of bike tour in Southampton and LeHavre. It would be a great way to see the town and they'll probably meet you at the ship.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

A scooter is similar to a skateboard with handlebars- so it looks like it's no. I recommend doing some type of bike tour in Southampton and LeHavre. It would be a great way to see the town and they'll probably meet you at the ship.

Thank you all for the info.

My son doesn't ride a bike well enough to consider a bike tour. I sent an email to RC who replied asking for a picture of the scooter so will wait to hear the verdict, but said it 'should' be ok.

We will probably then only chance it if we drive to port so it can be returned to the car if the port people have different ideas.

I would also suggest that if the Royal Caribbean contact that wanted the picture of the scooter gives you the okay to bring it. Make sure to print out the email or letter they send you saying it's okay to bring the scooter as well as the person's name so you can show it to anyone who may question you while boarding the ship. :D

Thanks for all your responses. We have permission to take it but will need to collect from security as we leave at port stop and they will store it for us.

As suggested will print the email conversation with Crown and Anchor rep and take along.