Swim Diapers - only ok on Carnival?

chaloop

Not a problem. :D And with that being said, as Julienatul said, you will see kids in diapers all over Carnival water works areas.

I have been on as many Carnival cruises as you and have only ONCE seen a baby with a diaper on (and even then the security guy told her she needed to take the baby out of the pool) so I must not be seeing what you are seeing. :rolleyes:

Yep, and the Carnival crew do nothing to stop it. Sad that it will take a child getting sick and making headlines before they will be forced to do something about it. Those pools do not have the same kind of chemical treatments that land based pools do.

The Oasis nursery is for 6 months to 36 months. :)

And RCCL doesn't have ANY kids EVER with swim diapers running around that shouldn't? I can tell by many of your posts that you have a bias against Carnival so it's hard to take what you say at face value.

And RCCL doesn't have ANY kids EVER with swim diapers running around that shouldn't? I can tell by many of your posts that you have a bias against Carnival so it's hard to take what you say at face value.

I don't think that's true. This thread is about Carnival; her responses were about her own experiences on Carnival. Should we all have to preface posts like this with disclaimers that such things can and do happen on other cruise lines? This thread is about Carnival; I would imagine most responses are going to be about Carnival. She didn't say that there are never any toddlers in swim diapers in any RCI pools against the health regulations. This is a problem with many cruise lines, especially when parents think that they and their children are not obligated to follow regulations that are in place to help ensure the health and safety of themselves and others.

crusinmama06 is far from the only member to remark about how many children they have seen wearing swim diapers (or youngsters clearly not potty trained with parents who've simply decided that removing all diapers is better) on Carnival and in the water works. Why pick on only one member who has mentioned first-hand experience with this problem? I believe that crusinmama06's main point was the fear (one I share) that it's going to take an outbreak of e-coli or other serious infectious disease with illness, hospitalizations, and perhaps even deaths before the cruise lines--not just Carnival--take the matter seriously and start stringently enforcing the CDC regulations. That is a scary thought.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

I have been on as many Carnival cruises as you and have only ONCE seen a baby with a diaper on (and even then the security guy told her she needed to take the baby out of the pool) so I must not be seeing what you are seeing. :rolleyes:

Wow, did you get up on the wrong side of the Carnival cabin today or what? I could argue with you, but I won't. Save your little eye rolling smilie for someone else.

There are other family board members here who were on my last Carnival cruise. We met up at the pool and got a good chuckle spotting all of the babies in diapers. I even have pictures -- which I have posted on this board, which I won't repost again.

Never said they didn't. I said they HAVE them and have an area FOR them. READ the post. There is a specific area FOR the babies in diapers. There is deck patrol that redirects the parents of babies back to that baby splash zone.

But you wouldn't know that because you seem to have a Carnival bias since its obviously the only cruise line you have ever been on. Try doing another couple of cruise lines -- expand your horizons -- them come back and preach to me about bias.

Her "bias" is based on her own personal experiences, and this thread is about Carnival.

• 6 months later...

And your pediatrician is telling you to knowingly break the rules set by the CDC that the cruise lines must adhere to. Why? Is it really that important that your toddler enjoy the splash zone or the pools? They won't know it's there unless YOU make a big deal about it. If they don't see it, they won't know it's there and you can easily avoid the pool decks if you want to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those rules get applied as much as:

"no kids under 16 in the hot tubs"

....yeah right

Seen plenty diaper kids in pools and 10 screaming tweens in the hot tubs too.

Id rather deal with cuties in diapers then the other 'darling' rule breakers.

Recently went on a Carnival cruise and the people that let their non-potty trained kids into the pools ruined for everyone. The wading pool (only kiddie pool) was closed the entire time because the babies went to the bathroom in the pool and the parents didn't care. I was considerate to keep my under 2yo out of the pools.

There was also a woman with a 1yo in the hot tub all the time, they did chase her out a few times, other times they left her alone.

In talking with my pediatrician, his advice was as long as you know she won't poop, take off her diaper and let her have a ball! She won't be the only one to pee in the pool as even some adults do that!!

But see, thats the thing - you don't know. I'm sure the other parents whose children pooped in the pool didn't think they'd do it, based on their habits at home.

But on vacation, the food changes, the routine changes, very possibly the sleep schedule has changed - it is not realistic to say you know your child wouldn't poop.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Here is my thoughts with my little one. I'm going to keep him out of the pools but just take him over and let him get splashed on or stand under a sprinkler or something for a few minutes. That's a good compromise and keeps everyone safe.

Okay, time to weigh in on a few misconceptions here.

First, I won't get into the whole thing about who allows diapered kids in the pool or not, it is against USPH regulations for ALL cruise lines, and it is really stupid for the lines to not enforce it, since anyone taking a cell phone video could send it to USPH showing kids in diapers, and the ship would receive a USPH inspection, and since the incident was not logged in the pool's maintenance history, that could be a full 5 point deduction from the ship's score. And kids without bathing suits are not allowed, either. Anyway.

Ship's pools are chlorinated to a higher concentration than most shore pools, public or private, and are required to have continual dosing, and a chart recorder that shows residual chlorine levels every minute of every day.

When it comes to what the USPH calls "infant only water facilities", here's the deal. These are the only place that children who are not potty trained are allowed. There must be a full time attendant assigned to the water facility, part of whose job is to shut down the facility when a fecal accident occurs, and the facility must be drained and cleaned, just like the main pools and hot tubs when they have fecal incidents. So, "poo" is not the problem. The infant only water facility must have, in addition to the chlorination equipment that all pools and hot tubs have onboard, an Ultra-Violet lamp sterilizer installed. These sterilizers on their own will kill 99% of bacteria and viruses, so in conjunction with the chlorination, they take away nearly all chance of contamination. If the sterilizer fails, it must shut the water spray off.

The infant only water facility is also required to have readily available, a supply of swim diapers.

Do people of all ages pee in the pools? Of course, but the chlorination equipment deals with it. In the infant only areas, the water volume is much smaller, with a higher "turn over" (number of times the water is recycled per hour), so the chlorination is supplemented with the sterilizer. Adults, and others do pee in the pool, but it is a conscious thing, while a non-potty trained child thinks nothing of peeing in their diapers or even without them. The pediatrician who recommended taking the diaper off is being irresponsible, and doesn't understand cruise ship hygiene rules. Fecal incidents usually require a minimum of 6 hours to rectify for a main pool, and could take up to 18-24 hours, so you are risking inconveniencing everyone for quite a period of time.

The best suggestion I have for those with non-potty trained kids, on ships without "infant only" facilities, is to take a small (3' diameter) blow up pool that you can blow up and fill on the pool deck (away from the crowds at the pool), and sit in your lounger and watch the little ankle-biter splash away to his/her heart's delight.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

Just got off Norwegian Breakaway a few days ago and I have to say, the entire week there were diapered babies in the pool. I never even saw any staff walk by the pool. Sigh.

I agree that it happens on all lines, and is short-sighted for the lines, but it is what it is.

When we went on the NCL I didn't see any signs about diapered kids but id read it on here.

I'm usually a rule keeper.

However DD was potty trained and we only put her in pull ups bc we were travelling and I really didn't think she would have a #2 accident.

Also the kids pool was so small that any kids above the age of 4/5 (not in diapers) I think would have preferred the main pool!

It seemed to be "made" for tots (in diapers) by the size of it.

and there were a few conversations of "of well they just went so I know they won't go again" but you really do never know. Theres always an exception and even bigger kids can have a sick tummy and have an accident.

So.... I can see where ppl look around (sign or not) - see a small pool with all diapered kids in it, would say well what the heck. and the staff should really monitor it I guess - its a wonder kids dont have accidents more often Id think!

30661_404703952374_7291599_n.jpg.d4e99f2be80649962fd331e33fcf73a6.jpg

30661_404703972374_1347401_n.jpg.62bae916c3ca917981b95fc772aa701d.jpg

The best suggestion I have for those with non-potty trained kids, on ships without "infant only" facilities, is to take a small (3' diameter) blow up pool that you can blow up and fill on the pool deck (away from the crowds at the pool), and sit in your lounger and watch the little ankle-biter splash away to his/her heart's delight.

Where do you fill up one of these pools? Or dump it when you're done?

Where do you fill up one of these pools? Or dump it when you're done?

Bring a little sand bucket and you can use water from the shower. You don't need much. There are many little drains you can use. Enjoy your cruise with your little one!

• 1 month later...

We had my DS on two previous RC cruises, first when he was 6 months and second when he was 18 months. They were both Freedom class ships. When he was 6 months the baby splash zone was great he crawled, splashed and had a ball. All while my other 2 children were having a great time in the H2O zone.

However, when he was 18 months this didn't work out so well. He saw his sisters running around and wanted to be with the "big" kids. He refused to stay in the small baby area. We ultimately had to remove him from the area all together. And avoided the H2O zone for the rest of he cruise only letting the girls go with either their Father or when he was at baby sitting.

So please keep in mind, for the older babies, it doesn't matter that there is a separate area for diapered babies. They are going to see all the excitement and want be a part of it. Best to avoid the whole area and bring them to a pool on an excursion.

We avoided the pool areas when DD was not potty trained. I am not sure that she even noticed there was a pool last year, even though we walked through the lido deck many times. Now she is potty trained so we don't have to worry. As far as the taking the diaper off, I think I probably could have done that last year and it would have been okay, but I did not take the chance. By a certain age (2-3) many kids can hold it. Mine sure could. I am pretty positive she would not have pooped in the pool without a diaper on. I say this because, like many kids her age, that was the last stage of potty training. She would be fully trained and do great at the sitters all day in panties but she would put a pull-up on her to go home. DD would walk in the door and poop in her pull-up. I seriously think she held it all day just for the pull up. So I truly believe she would not have pooped in the pool. But I followed the rules anyway, knowing it was not long before she would he trained and able to use the pools.

We brought DS on his first cruise at 7 months old. We brought a duck tub for bathing and for by the pool.

http://www.target.com/p/munchkin-white-hot-inflatable-duck-safety-baby-bath-tub/-/A-10209874#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=duck+tub

We brought it in the package, blew it up, and then deflated it and threw it away at the end of the trip. We asked the bar for one of the beer buckets to fill it up with water from the pool. It didn't take up much space and was perfect for him. We let him dip his feet in the big pool and he got kicked out. Ugh.

We are going on one in 3 weeks and he is now walking (10 months). He won't tolerate the duck tub, so we will just leave the swimming for the oceans.