Parking for Breakaway in NYC

mja2573

My suggestion is to not park in NYC. What I do is park in Elizabeth NJ at a Newark airport park and ride for $8 a day. We then take the lot shuttle to the airport and get on the AirTrain to NJ transit's Newark airport train station. Then get NJ transit into Penn Station. From Penn Station take a taxi to the cruise terminal. Taxi ride is $10-$15 depending on traffic. NCL uses pier 88.

This is the cheapest way I have found to park for a cruise and avoids the tolls into NYC. I believe parking at the cruise terminal is $35 a day. You don't have to go thru airport security to get to the Airtrain. We have found the easiest point of entry is at the Southwest terminal.

Edited by pnm655

We just park at the pier - $40 a day, easy ride through the Lincoln Tunnel, lot is right next to the ship. We love the ease of walking off of the ship, hopping in our van, and being home in less than a half hour.

I have been reading a lot about this because we are travelling on the Gem in less than a month with our two children (7 and 5). There are lots of ways to park cheaper, but they all involve what seems to be quite a lot of hassle... I mean I've read about methods involving air buses, Ferrys, and uber drivers. For us, the hassel of dragging our crap, our kids, and their crap is well worth the $40 per night parking fee. Even my husband who is a pretty big cheap skate, jumped at the super expensive manhattan parking to avoid the stress of having to lug our stuff and our kids all over NYC to get cheaper parking.

I have been reading a lot about this because we are travelling on the Gem in less than a month with our two children (7 and 5). There are lots of ways to park cheaper, but they all involve what seems to be quite a lot of hassle... I mean I've read about methods involving air buses, Ferrys, and uber drivers. For us, the hassel of dragging our crap, our kids, and their crap is well worth the $40 per night parking fee. Even my husband who is a pretty big cheap skate, jumped at the super expensive manhattan parking to avoid the stress of having to lug our stuff and our kids all over NYC to get cheaper parking.

Agreed!!!!

You are thinking realistically.....use the port

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Park at the port!!!!

Safe

Easy

$280 for 7 days

And it will take all of 5 minutes to get to your car at debark

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Holy carp! :eek: And we complain about $20/day at Port of Miami.

Holy carp! :eek: And we complain about $20/day at Port of Miami.

Yep $40 a day now:eek:. This is why we used parkrirght the last time. We had great service from them and it is very close to the ship.

$40 is reasonable in NYC, especially to be able to park your own vehicle, and not have to leave the keys.

Agreed. We used a discount service once in Miami - from now on we always park at the port. Look at the prices of hotel parking in NYC - this is very reasonable. It's so easy to embark and disembark. Love NYC pier parking.

Just note that they charge extra for oversize vehicles. Virtually any SUV or van type vehicle will be oversize.

I parked my gigundo SUV Ford Expedition EL (extended length) and they didn't charge extra. Thank God! :)

Edited by mintsugarcube

I think the heart of the issue here is weather or not the OP wants to pay Manhattan parking rates and the tolls to get in and out of the city. Parking at the Pier is great for convenience but is pricey. In addition to the Newark airport park and ride I posted parking might be available at some NJ transit garages. I know the Metropark NJ station is $9 a day and has a 21 day limit.

The Metropark garage is attached to the rail station. It would be an easy trip on NJ transit to Penn Station and then a cab ride to Pier 88.

A little bit of adventure can save some serious dough when it comes to NY parking.

Yep $40 a day now:eek:. This is why we used parkrirght the last time. We had great service from them and it is very close to the ship.

Did you have to leave your key with them?

Were you able to park your own car?

Leaving the keys and valet parking are deal breakers for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you have to leave your key with them?

Were you able to park your own car?

Leaving the keys and valet parking are deal breakers for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's valet parking, as is virtually every garage in NY City.

I'm with you...I avoid valet parking at all costs. I pay the few dollars more to park and lock at the pier. The peace of mind and convenience outweigh the additional cost.

I'm with you...I avoid valet parking at all costs. I pay the few dollars more to park and lock at the pier. The peace of mind and convenience outweigh the additional cost.

Same here, just this Sunday for work parked the car in Manhattan for 8 hours it was $65. In was a breeze (no not the carnival ship). But to get out stand online at the window to pay. Then you waited for them to get your car. No clue where you were in line for the car to appear.

I like park and lock yourself and if you forget to lock the car at the pier your remote will probably work from the Lido deck!

That said, I only drive to the pier when it is with extended family and we do split the cost of parking. Me and DW it's public transit or black car/cab depending on length of the cruise.

FWIW

Parking at the Pier is easy, but expensive but you take the elevator up load the car and you are gone

Check the Manhattan Pier website for coupons, they have a 25% off for the GEM 7-day

It sucks that it is good on Norwegian Gem parking and not the Breakaway!!