BIG French Key

c-leg5

There are numerous questions and reviews for LFK but I have never seen any questions about the BIG French Key excursion.

It has been several months now since an independent tour operator on Roatan started this tour. It is available through several cruiselines or as an independent tour, so has any one actually visited this resort and has any first-hand reviews?

I, too am curious. We are going to be in Roatan on Monday and we had thought to go here for a easy beach day with the kids. Since they're preschoolers a beach is a beach, so we thought we'd go with this since it is less expensive than the next-door beach. But I tried to book from their web-site last weekend and despite me sending them a second email, I cannot get a response from them confirming my reservation. I'll check out the shore excursion desk on board the ship, but we may bag it and pay the slightly more expensive rate to go to LFK.

Hope someone can chime in soon.

A tourist option to BFK must be relatively new. I thought the kay was being developed primarily for condos, small houses for longer staying guests, or vacay rentals. Used to have a school there. And some long time native residents. It's essentially right next door to LFK, but different owners.

I, too am curious. We are going to be in Roatan on Monday and we had thought to go here for a easy beach day with the kids. Since they're preschoolers a beach is a beach, so we thought we'd go with this since it is less expensive than the next-door beach. But I tried to book from their web-site last weekend and despite me sending them a second email, I cannot get a response from them confirming my reservation. I'll check out the shore excursion desk on board the ship, but we may bag it and pay the slightly more expensive rate to go to LFK.

Hope someone can chime in soon.

That seems to be par for the course with regards tour operators on Roatan. I have personally sent multiple emails to at least three different places on Roatan and never received a reply. I know the electricity and Internet connections are spasmodic on the island but there are other operators there who seem to manage to conduct business just fine. For an island trying to promote tourism I don't think Roatan tries very hard. I presume you have checked your junk mail folder?

Hopefully if you do take this excursion you will return with a review. It could be a very quiet place if no one is able to book! I am just curious as to why we haven't seen any reports, good or bad. I guess many people who only book ship tours don't frequent CC.

Edited by c-leg5

A tourist option to BFK must be relatively new. I thought the kay was being developed primarily for condos, small houses for longer staying guests, or vacay rentals. Used to have a school there. And some long time native residents. It's essentially right next door to LFK, but different owners.

It would appear to be being developed by the native residents on the lagoon area opposite to LFK. Mitsugirly first reported it when Carnival dropped the contract with LFK and started to offer excursions here instead, but it is not exclusive to Carnival and is not only offered through the cruislines, unlike Maya Key. The tour operator also seems to be promoting an underwater Eco world called Mayatlantis but I can't determine if this is actually connected with BFK or Fantasy Island? Perhaps you know more about that with your diving experience?

That seems to be par for the course with regards tour operators on Roatan. I have personally sent multiple emails to at least three different places on Roatan and never received a reply. I know the electricity and Internet connections are spasmodic on the island but there are other operators there who seem to manage to conduct business just fine. For an island trying to promote tourism I don't think Roatan tries very hard. I presume you have checked your junk mail folder?

Hopefully if you do take this excursion you will return with a review. It could be a very quiet place if no one is able to book! I am just curious as to why we haven't seen any reports, good or bad. I guess many people who only book ship tours don't frequent CC.

Well, I waited until we boarded the ship, and still hadn't heard from them, so I went to the shore excursion desk. RCI only sells tickets to BFK as part of their ultimate beach package, so you would get it plus two more beaches on different islands for one price. Unfortunately, we had already made plans for the other two destinations, so I passed. I ended up booked a trip to Maya Key instead.

Well, I waited until we boarded the ship, and still hadn't heard from them, so I went to the shore excursion desk. RCI only sells tickets to BFK as part of their ultimate beach package, so you would get it plus two more beaches on different islands for one price. Unfortunately, we had already made plans for the other two destinations, so I passed. I ended up booked a trip to Maya Key instead.

Thanks for reporting back.

I cruise mainly with RCI, although rarely take ship excursions, but this is the first time I have heard of them insisting that you bundle!

All I can say is BFK must be a very quiet place if it is so difficult to book an excursion there!

Enjoy Maya key, we visited many years ago!

Edited by c-leg5

• 1 year later...

Hi.

Has one booked and done this excursion through NCL recently:

Ultimate Big French Key Beach Experience w/lunch

I never book through the ship but sailing with my mom in February and thought

this would be a nice Christmas Gift but can't find any reviews.

I'm currently booked at LFK with my dh for July but closely watching that situation and certainly don't want to book with just my mom and me for February.

Thanks all!