Help from Pompeii to Sorrento and back to Ship

alwayslost

Looking at the various posts, it seems that one can catch a train from the dock to the Pompeii. How much does this cost? We are a party of 3, and I am wondering whether it would be best just to take a cab to Pompeii from the dock.

I am also wondering, how we go from Pompeii to Sorrento. We dock at 7:00 am and depart at 6:30 pm. I am hoping to squeeze in Sorrento on that day too. Is this doable, and how do we go from Sorrento back to the boat? Is a hydrofoil something we can do? Kindly advise cost and if possible, detailed instructions.

Thank you in advance for your help. By the way, they say we dock at Naples/Capri

You can get to Sorrento from Pompeii on the same train - Circumvesuviana. It would make no sense to get a taxi to the train station since the ticket you buy will cover both the tram (or bus) to the station and your all-day train rides.

Here is some info from my notes:

Getting to Pompeii on Your Own:

Pompeii opens at 8:30 am. Try to get the “express” train that departs Napoli station(s) just after 8am. It’s important to beat the heat and the crowds, especially during the summer season.

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here (3.60 euro when I last checked); it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets.

Morning train times (as of now) from Centrale station are: 8:13; 8:24; 8:41; 9:11. The train takes about 30 minutes.

The stop for Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi – Villa dei Misteri. After exiting station, turn right and walk about 100 yards to Pompeii entrance. Entrance fee is 13 euro. Private guides are available (try to get a group tour in English); OR ask for the detailed Pompeii guide and map that is FREE and available at ticket counter. Take along this Rick Steves guided walk just in case they are out of guidebooks (it happens):

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...ompeiiwalk.htm

When you're finished in Pompeii, go back to the train station and take the train in the same direction onward to Sorrento.

Here is a link for getting the current train schedule (in Italian only but very useful:

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/or.../modulow3c.htm

And here is a link for a list of all the stops between Napoli and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

From Sorrento you can either take the train back to Naples or you can take the ferry back. I haven't done the ferry so I can't give directions.

Just happend to run across these detailed instructions, and they sure are good. I've been on the local train from Naples to Pompeii and Sorrento, and it's spot on. I did not know about the day pass and the local tram or bus to the train station from the Naples cruise dock area. Good info!

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, we were planning on doing that exact route. However, a local taxi agreed to take 4 of us for 35 Euro each for the whole day. He drove us to Pompeii and waited while we toured. Then drove us up the Amalfi coast, dropping off in Sorrento. He even stopped at 3 scenic overlooks on the way and took our pics. Then he waited while we shopped and had lunch. Finally, he drove us back and gave a quick 1 hour tour of Naples. Just saying it never hurts to see what kind of deal you can negotiate!

We took the hydrofoil back to the ship from Sorrento. You have to go all the way down to the water level from the train station (we finally found some stairs) and that is where you buy your ticket. There weren't too many times available and our hydrofoil was a little late in arriving so keep that in mind.

Once you get back to Naples, the hydrofoil pulls up right next to the ship!

Archived