Locking luggage

ChCo38

We use TSA approved locks for flying and leave them on when we board the ship. They do not have the ability to unlock the TSA lock. You would be contacted if they need to check anything in your luggage. Happy traveling!

I just read on another conversation that someone did have their TSA locks opened. Not a big deal to me either way.

We never lock our luggage for a cruise. We use zip ties just to keep the zippers closed and bring more with us for the trip home.

There's nothing in our checked luggage except clothes and shoes so nothing worth stealing.

Always lock your bags, when they are not in your hands. Even at the airport! And, it doesn't HAVE to be a TSA approved lock at the airport.

NEVER leave unattended bags unlocked....even if there is nothing of 'value' in them. No one has a right to have access to your things. It's not so much about theft, as it is your right to privacy, and the fact that you don't want someone to easily PUT something into your luggage!!!!!

Can anyone tell me if you can lock your luggage for boarding or is it like the airports where you have to leave your luggage unlocked? Thanks

You are incorrect to think that you have to leave your luggage unlocked at the airport. The TSA locks are now avaliable almost anywhere(Walmart, Target, etc) and many travelers now use those. If the authorities need to open the locks at the airport they can easily do do and will leave a note inside saying that they inspected your luggage.

We ALWAYS have our luggage locked and we always use TSA approved locks. No, you don't HAVE to have a TSA approved lock at the airport, but if your suitcase is pulled for a search, your lock will be cut. Then you're stuck with unlocked luggage. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. With the TSA locks, they unlock them for any search, and then relock your case.

TSA locks are no more expensive than other luggage locks and can be found at any local department store.

If your suitcase has a zipper, a lock is nothing more than a decoration. A zipper can be pried open in 1-2 seconds with items as simple as a pen, screwdriver, fork, etc. It is like locking an envelope - it raises a red flag that there is something of value inside, but does nothing to deter someone from entering your suitcase. It is prudent to never place valuable in a suitcase. Do not think that locking your suitcase makes the contents safe.

If your suitcase has a zipper, a lock is nothing more than a decoration. A zipper can be pried open in 1-2 seconds with items as simple as a pen, screwdriver, fork, etc. It is like locking an envelope - it raises a red flag that there is something of value inside, but does nothing to deter someone from entering your suitcase. It is prudent to never place valuable in a suitcase. Do not think that locking your suitcase makes the contents safe.

Thank you. That's my feeling exactly!

We always use the TSA locks for flying as well as going on a cruise. I don't like the idea of an unlocked bag being even more easily accesible than on with a lock. I especially like leaving the bags out on the last night with the TSA locks on them. I realize that if someone wants to get into my luggage, they will find a way, but I feel the locks deter them a little more. We also never put anything of value, such as cameras, electronics or jewelry in our checked luggage.

Always lock your bags, when they are not in your hands. Even at the airport! And, it doesn't HAVE to be a TSA approved lock at the airport.

NEVER leave unattended bags unlocked....even if there is nothing of 'value' in them. No one has a right to have access to your things. It's not so much about theft, as it is your right to privacy, and the fact that you don't want someone to easily PUT something into your luggage!!!!!

You are, of course, exempting TSA and other airport security officials from your blanket statement. Once you hand over your luggage at the airport you pretty much lose any expectation of privacy and, if security officials determine that they need to examine the contents of your luggage, they will do so, whether the bags are locked or unlocked. The only hard and fast rule I would suggest is to never put medicines or valuables in your checked luggage. Otherwise expect that someone can access those bags while they are out of your possession.

Archived